The Student Room Group

PC Gaming Society

Scroll to see replies

the game has an element of randomness and when you really think you're losing in terms of odds you could really be saved a lot by llama bombs.

this was my second play through, but this time i changed victory track from 5000 to 20000 which if you complete unlocks another achievement.

was getting trashed by zeds in atom zombie smasher.

Spoiler

but then i was granted llama bombs. oh yea!!!

Spoiler

massive tip, just make sure you capture majority of the territories, when you capture enough, the 20 points gained starts racking up a lot. all the black territories are probably places where my chopper pickup just met the quota required of the area. i skipped 5 missions mid way since i really hate a mission without artillery.

Spoiler

so happy i completed this game.

atm hating the alt spawn mod. it screws up everything.
(edited 12 years ago)
I've only tried short games of 2000 so haven't experienced llama bombs yet. One thing I will say; casual mode makes the game so very easy.

Also once I realised that you could reposition snipers, infantry etc. midway through the game I got a lot better at it. :colondollar:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Phalanges
I've only tried short games of 2000 so haven't experienced llama bombs yet. One thing I will say; casual mode makes the game so very easy.

Also once I realised that you could reposition snipers, infantry etc. midway through the game I got a lot better at it. :colondollar:

AZS annoys me, because it's either too hard or too easy. I get overrun way too easily if I leave the zombies at normal speed, but setting them to be slow just makes it a cruise. What's your Steam name?
Original post by Jace Falco

Original post by Jace Falco
AZS annoys me, because it's either too hard or too easy. I get overrun way too easily if I leave the zombies at normal speed, but setting them to be slow just makes it a cruise. What's your Steam name?

Yep, that's completely my sentiments as well. I really like the concept, but the balance feels way off.

I'll PM you my Steam name, as I don't particularly like a trail of identifiable stuff about me on the forums. Same goes for anyone else who wants it, just PM me.
Original post by Tommyjw
You know.. i just can't get that in to it. I play it every now and again, but don't find it nearly as special as some people do.

That said. I think i'm in the minority thus you should as the majority find it amazing :rolleyes:

Im with you on this one..its good but I dont see why its like amazing..
Original post by Hectorious
WOOOO!

nope..now I can play offline..but I cant go online even when im connected (and this is me running as Admin)
Reply 126
Original post by jakemittle
Im with you on this one..its good but I dont see why its like amazing..

After the Medic update, I was in the majority. Now though, it's become to unwieldy to be balanced, so I don't play it. :rolleyes:

Roll on DOTA 2. :biggrin:
Are there any games you can play split screen on pc with?
No comments saying..use lan blah blah :lol:
Original post by blueray
Are there any games you can play split screen on pc with?
No comments saying..use lan blah blah :lol:

yes, it can be definetly done on L4D and (i think) L4D2. takes some messing around with though.
Think I'll order Starcraft 2 tomorrow, its only £24.99. Does this game last long?
Original post by Oh my Ms. Coffey
Think I'll order Starcraft 2 tomorrow, its only £24.99. Does this game last long?

depends how much you want to get into the multi-player, but the campaign is quite extensive.

Max lifetime is probably around 10 years, when Blizzard will finally make the next one!
The rain in Witcher 2 is amazing. All the NPC's run under shelter when its raining and start complaining. Lightning spells are also more powerful.
Reply 132
Does this include Minecraft? :biggrin:
Someone should recommend me some decent games because all I can bring myself to play these days is MTW2 and a bit of Civ 3.
Hey guys,

I've recently had Red Faction: Guerilla bought for me, but having installed it have found that it's far too laggy to play reasonably. I figured it'd be no problem as I could trade it in if I had to, but have found that I'm not able to do that because the anti-piracy thing it has prevents it from ever being installed on more than one computer!

My question is this: Is there literally nothing I can do with this game now except either throw it away or keep it for years incase I eventually upgrade?
Original post by Spiderman
Hey guys,

I've recently had Red Faction: Guerilla bought for me, but having installed it have found that it's far too laggy to play reasonably. I figured it'd be no problem as I could trade it in if I had to, but have found that I'm not able to do that because the anti-piracy thing it has prevents it from ever being installed on more than one computer!

My question is this: Is there literally nothing I can do with this game now except either throw it away or keep it for years incase I eventually upgrade?

nope, nothing. Welcome to the world of DRM, you can understand why publisher get a lot of hate over such things.

Oh, if you do eventually upgrade, you have to de-register on your old comp before you can install it on the new one. If they're kind enough to let you change which machine it's installed on. Potentially they don't.

It's all "anti-piracy" measures. Except pirated games are always DRM-free.
Reply 136
Original post by concubine
Someone should recommend me some decent games because all I can bring myself to play these days is MTW2 and a bit of Civ 3.

Shogun. Do it. :biggrin:
Reply 137
Original post by The Mr Z
nope, nothing. Welcome to the world of DRM, you can understand why publisher get a lot of hate over such things.

Oh, if you do eventually upgrade, you have to de-register on your old comp before you can install it on the new one. If they're kind enough to let you change which machine it's installed on. Potentially they don't.

It's all "anti-piracy" measures. Except pirated games are always DRM-free.
But that doesn't mean they're perfect. Far from it, I think the best anti-piracy measures are ones that cause deliberate bugs in the game that break the game for the pirates while people who got the game legitimately play it in peace. Garry's Mod started doing this back in April, for instance:
A few hours ago, Garry Newman the creator of Garry’s Mod asked, quite innocently, whether anyone was unable to shade polygon normals.

He received a few comments, mostly jokes, but a quick look at Google suggests that there are indeed a few people who are experiencing problems with their game.

…you can hear Newman’s chuckling from here. Not the normal response to a wide-spread bug report, but this is no normal bug. It seems that the developer has deliberately enabled an error in GMod, which will only affect people who have pirated the game.

People started discussing the error on the game’s own forums, wondering why their game simply wouldn’t work:

Problem:
I need help with my garrys mod. Everytime I launch Garrys Mod, it starts up then about 5 seconds later after it is done loading, it crashed with the

Engine Error:[noparse]U[/noparse]nable to shade polygon normals(#################)

Not long after posting the request, the user found themselves permabanned from the forums for using pirated software.

Making the situation even sweeter, the number which appears in brackets after the error statement is in fact the gamer’s 64-bit steamid.

Y’see, Steam keeps a list of which accounts have actually forked over the $9.99 for a legit copy of GMod so it’s a simple matter of checking ids and turfing out the pirates.

Just another lesson on why piracy is bad, supporting indie developers is good, and why you shouldn’t mess with the nerds.
And there are other games which have done similar things in the past such as Football Manager (disabled some features) and Gangsters (after a few turns your gangsters would start getting arrested even if they weren't doing anything to get the attention of the police or feds. If all your gangsters are in jail you can't do anything, so pirated copies were only able to be played for a handful of turns before the game became unplayable)
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Dalimyr
But that doesn't mean they're perfect. Far from it, I think the best anti-piracy measures are ones that cause deliberate bugs in the game that break the game for the pirates while people who got the game legitimately play it in peace. Garry's Mod started doing this back in April, for instance:
And there are other games which have done similar things in the past such as Football Manager (disabled some features) and Gangsters (after a few turns your gangsters would start getting arrested even if they weren't doing anything to get the attention of the police or feds. If all your gangsters are in jail you can't do anything, so pirated copies were only able to be played for a handful of turns before the game became unplayable)

Yes, those are good examples of DRM. Good DRM, stuff that only affects pirates and has no influence on legitimate copies.
I think the best one is the combination of GamesforWindows and Steam, tough as hell to get around but actually adds more functionality for legitimate purchasers.

The DRM on Red Faction is Bad DRM, it only affects legitimate purchasers, limiting their installs and functionality while not in the slightest hindering pirates who can easily completely remove the DRM code (because unlike the stuff in Gary's mod, it's easy to find and purge without affecting the functionality of the game!)

As a rule of thumb, Valve are very good with their DRM, especially through Steam, and EA, Activision are very bad with their DRM (and apparently now Blizzard too, I hear the announced DRM for Diablo 3 is criminal)
Reply 139
Original post by The Mr Z
As a rule of thumb, Valve are very good with their DRM, especially through Steam, and EA, Activision are very bad with their DRM (and apparently now Blizzard too, I hear the announced DRM for Diablo 3 is criminal)
Since Blizzard merged with Activision, that's not a surprise :p:
Ubisoft tend to be completely idiotic with their DRM methods as well. There are still some titles of theirs which have that stupid 'Must be connected to the internet at all times even when playing single-player' DRM. Although it was patched out of some games (notably their biggest titles such as Assassin's Creed 2 and Splinter Cell: Conviction), it hasn't been removed from all games. This is hands-down the most idiotic ****ing DRM ever conceived and anyone with any common sense agrees that it actually encourages piracy rather than preventing it because pirated copies can be played even if your internet connection's a bit dodgy or (as happened in March last year) Ubisoft's authentication servers crash :rolleyes:

Quick Reply

Latest