The Student Room Group

Eating disorder recovery songs

Hi everyone,
I'm currently recovered from anorexia and bulimia and one of the things that really helped me was my playlist of recovery songs. I've found some really good ones over the years but am always looking for more. Does anybody have any they could recommend?

A few of my favourite are:

Natasha Beddingfield - Recover, Unwritten, Wild Horses

Eminem - Not afraid

Christina Perri - Jar of hearts (It's like talking to the ED)

Christina Aguilera - Fighter (same as above (Also, having come out the other side now I really relate to this song))

Superchick Stand in the rain, Beauty from pain, Get up, one girl revolution

Barlow Girls - Mirror
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1
This is gonna be a weird one, but Hoppipolla by Sigur Ros. I know it's mainly instrumental, but it's just a happy song, and leaves a smile you your face.
Someone on one of the blogs I go on has lots of recovery songs but I don't have access to my computer right now. :frown:
I love Jar of Hearts! 'Who do you think you are?'
Silverchair - Ana's Song

It's not exactly a recovery song but it helped me

Superchick - Courage
I can cry to it when I'm alone and I feel like my ED is becoming too much to handle on my own
(edited 12 years ago)
demi lovato- skyscraper

and she actually HAD an eating disorder, which makes it even more identifiable!:smile:
YES YES YES DEFINITELY DEMI LOVATO :biggrin:

also demi lovato - believe in me

jonny diaz - more beautiful you

the strange familiar - courage is

:smile:
Reply 6
Loving these suggestions! I hadn't heard Skyscraper before but now I love it. A few more of my favourites are:

Selena Gomez & The Scene - Who Says

Jessie J - Who you are

Maria Mena - All this time, Fragile, Internal Dialogue.

Maria Mena also went through an eating disorder. She has some other songs that are a bit triggering so be aware of that if you look for more of her songs.
Reply 7
Courage by Superchick is about eating disorder recovery :smile: It's soo helpful - I find the chorus really accurate and positive while also being realistic.. xx
I'd suggest Sir Mix-a-Lot - Baby Got Back.
Original post by Vixen47
Silverchair - Ana's Song

It's not exactly a recovery song but it helped me

Ah yeah, it kinda is...it's about Daniel's (lead singer) fight with AN...
Reply 10
I love Courage by Superchick. Superchick have so many great songs!!
I love "Ooh Child" by The Five Stairsteps
Also, "Love you" By Free Design is just so happy and uplisfting.
xxx
Original post by professionaljack
demi lovato- skyscraper

and she actually HAD an eating disorder, which makes it even more identifiable!:smile:

I've just got into Demi Lovato today and Skyscraper (and For the Love of a Daughter) made me cry.
Original post by Sisterhood
Hi everyone,
I'm currently recovered from anorexia and bulimia and one of the things that really helped me was my playlist of recovery songs. I've found some really good ones over the years but am always looking for more. Does anybody have any they could recommend?

Eminem - Not afraid

Christina Aguilera - Fighter (same as above (Also, having come out the other side now I really relate to this song))

Barlow Girls - Mirror

i found listening to depressing songs just made it worse (but tbh I'm not properly recovered) try listening to really up beat stuff, like skrillex. its not related to sadness at all and i found it helps
Original post by domino0806

Original post by domino0806
I'd suggest Sir Mix-a-Lot - Baby Got Back.

:rofl:
Original post by Sisterhood
Hi everyone,

Eminem - Not afraid

Barlow Girls - Mirror

Well done on not giving up the fight to recovery. Here are some songs I find rather motivational:

Man in the mirror - Michael Jackson
Fix You - Coldplay
Whatever - Oasis
Blue Moon - Elvis
Bob Dylan - The Times they are a changin'
Bob Dylan - Blowin' in the wind
Stranger in Moscow - Michael Jackson
This is the one - The Stone Roses
No woman no cry - Bob Marley
Waving Flag - Kanaan
The theme from 2001 A Space Odyssey
Someday we'll all be free - Donny Hathaway
A change is gonna come - Sam Cooke

And finally....... The world's greatest by R Kelly.

I also listen to speeches by my heroes when I need inspiration: Malcolm X, Nelson Mandela, Gandhi, JFK, RFK, MLK.

Think of your heroes and they achieved great things through overcoming their obstacles. They weren't superhuman they were normal people like me and you so if they can achieve great things then so can you.

Quick Reply

Latest