The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sausage1
Yeh, I have taken all of this into consideration. I haven't just woken up one day and thought 'I'm wanna be a vet!' you know.

okay, that's good then.

TBH I don't know, and you'd be surprised at how many do.
Original post by shoshin
You haven't mentioned the subject that you are interested in. Don't listen to any advice you get specifically about Oxford which comes from anyone who has not first asked you which subject you wish to study. There is a vast difference between, say, Medicine and, say, History when it comes to the role of GCSEs in the Oxford admissions process.

I'd like to do PPE.
Reply 202
Applying for maths after RESITTING some FM modules (I've called the admissions line already and apparently they don't mind resit candidates).

GCSEs: 3 A*s, 5 As, 2 Bs
AS: AAAA (Maths, Econ, Further Maths, Physics)
A-Level: A*A*BB (in Maths, Econ, Further Maths, Physics respectively)

although i have a feeling a lot will depend on my MAT score which i'll be taking in november
Hello all!

I have recently got my A-Level results and received an A* in Maths, an A* in History and a B in Chemistry. Plus A in General Studies.

I have decided to apply this year, after my A-Levels and was wondering is it worth applying to Oxford for PPE with the B in Chemistry. The majority if my modules in the subject were at A standard and OCR decided to make the final module the spawn of Satan. Consequently, I did poorly and averaged out a high B. If I explained that I would retake the module?

Past experiences or just general advice is welcomed. Would I still have a reasonable chance of getting in (assuming good TSA and rest of application is solid).

Apologies for adding to the massive pile of 'are my grades good enough for Oxford' threads.

Thanks a lot :smile:
Original post by Thronegames
Hello all!

I have recently got my A-Level results and received an A* in Maths, an A* in History and a B in Chemistry. Plus A in General Studies.

I have decided to apply this year, after my A-Levels and was wondering is it worth applying to Oxford for PPE with the B in Chemistry. The majority if my modules in the subject were at A standard and OCR decided to make the final module the spawn of Satan. Consequently, I did poorly and averaged out a high B. If I explained that I would retake the module?

Past experiences or just general advice is welcomed. Would I still have a reasonable chance of getting in (assuming good TSA and rest of application is solid).

Apologies for adding to the massive pile of 'are my grades good enough for Oxford' threads.

Thanks a lot :smile:

Mmm it's hard to say seeing as you've finished your A levels and have still not gained the minimum offer. (I know those 2 A*s are impressive, but looking at the figures only 34 people in Oxford got in for 2010 with anything lower than AAA - that includes people with A*A*B) http://www.ox.ac.uk/about_the_university/facts_and_figures/undergraduate_admissions_statistics/qualifications.html

Is there no way to resit the last module in chemistry?
Reply 205
Original post by mangostrawberry
If i got AAAB at AS is there any chance??? Stupid Maths...
(Got 11 A*s at GCSE)

For History at Oxford? Don't worry at all about that B. Good luck :smile:
Thanks for the link :smile:. Yes I would definitely re-sit the last module and should secure the A. Would they consider me with the knowledge that I was resitting the module if I included my other module scores?
Original post by Thronegames
Thanks for the link :smile:. Yes I would definitely re-sit the last module and should secure the A. Would they consider me with the knowledge that I was resitting the module if I included my other module scores?

I'd say so seeing as they interview people who haven't even taken A2 levels.

They may expect you to perform higher in other areas though as you will have had more time to study around your subject....
Thank you!
Reply 209
Original post by IWMI
I have AABBBBBBBC at gcse and in my first AS level year i got CDE. My GP has put this bad peformance down to mental health issues/stress. I retook my AS levels and got AAAA in biology, chemistry, psychology, and english Lit (with an A in an extended project too) I am hoping to be expected A*A*A at least.

I want to study Biomedical Sciences.

Would i have a chance?

Biomedical Sciences has the advantage of having an admissions test, the BMAT, with which you will be able to distinguish yourself. If you truly excel at that, then it is likely that a set of resits and (to be honest) below average GCSE results would be overlooked.
Reply 210
Original post by Muse123
Hey, I would be interested in applying for History at Oxford and I was wondering whether I stood a chance of getting an interview/offer.

GCSEs: A*A*A*A*A*A*AAB

AS: Maths A, History A, Chemistry B, Biology C.

Predicted: Likely to be A*AA or AAA

I realize that they aren't the strongest looking AS grades, although I was right on the grade boundaries for Chemistry and Biology.

Any help would be appreciated :smile: Be honest too.

For History at Oxford, selection for interview depends almost entirely on performance in the HAT (aptitude test). The 'bottom' 25% or so are usually deselected.

The HAT is also an important component in the final offer decision, though interview performance is even more so. The submitted essay would be 'weighted' third, with other factors (exam results and predictions, reference, PS) figuring somewhat less in the calculation, albeit that the entrance requirements have to be met of course.

As you can see, there's nothing in your current situation preventing you from making a competitive application. Your science based AS companions to History may be a little unusual, but in this subject Oxford is quite flexible with regard to A levels taken; it does not even insist on History!

Best of luck :smile:
Original post by nexttime
I think the strong performance in the maths section of the UKCAT is a good indicator.

If you were really dedicated and had loads of time, you could look at the 'medicine applicants thread' and try to correlate UKCAT with BMAT. High effort though (and largely a waste of time vs doing actual practice!)!

Do you know if your school will give you any help?

Well I've just conducted a mental research on BMAT correlating with the UKCAT on the profiles page. So I may as well present my findings :smile: Don't hold me true to my word it was a mental count after all :smile: and I didn't take the essay into account. Only looked at 2011/2010 applicants.

Again this isn't accurate, just a rough estimation from what I saw....

The majority of candidates who got around 640 UKCAT average or below did not do as well on the BMAT, that is to say score of around 3.5-4.5 on average maybe.

Many Candidates with a UKCAT average of around 641-690 did average on the BMAT acording to TSR, that is to say scores of around 4.8-5.9 on average maybe. However there were also quite a few candidates that had some of the highest BMAT scores that got a UKCAT score in this range. There were also a few candidates that had scores of 6+ with a UKCAT score in this range.

Most candidates with a UKCAT of 691-720 on average performed in the same way as the ones in the 641-690 category.

A majority of candidates with UKCAT average of 735ish+ did well on the BMAT, typically scores of at least 6.7+ in one section with the other section being at least 5.8+ on average. All of the very high UKCAT scorers 750ish + got very good BMAT results, typically 6.7 in both sections maybe.

Interestingly most of the high scorers did seem to have a good/best UKCAT section in QR (maths).

(Two of the best BMAT scorers had 900 QR)

Also high BMAT scorers did generally have more A*'s at GCSE I noticed.

I don't know if this would help anyone but yeah...
Original post by Insanity514
Interestingly most of the high scorers did seem to have a good/best UKCAT section in QR (maths)

That is an interesting find (that i had suspected). I was true for me anyway!

I might take the time to do a more detailed analysis when i have my own computer back, although term starts in a few days to lots of packing to do!
Reply 213
Original post by The Topman
I'd like to do PPE.

Have you come across this TSR thread? It seems to cover most PPE issues, including relative importance of GCSEs:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=956112

Best of luck :smile:
Reply 214
Original post by Mellete
Biomedical Sciences has the advantage of having an admissions test, the BMAT, with which you will be able to distinguish yourself. If you truly excel at that, then it is likely that a set of resits and (to be honest) below average GCSE results would be overlooked.

but i am convinced i would never make the cut off (GCSE). I mean i was going in for cambridge nat sciences but they said without physics it woud be more or less futile. I was happy becuase they have the CSAS for people with extenuating circumstances. But now oxford is my only chance with oxbridge but my gcses have let me down. I feel even with the BMAT it would be a massive long shot becuase of the fact it took me 3 years to complete my a levels (failed AS) and my poor gcses :frown:
Reply 215
Hey.

I want to apply to Oxford to read English Literature.

I have taken the Cambridge International Examinations (CIE) O-Levels. I received 6A*s, 3As and 1 B

A*'s in English Lit, English Language, Physics, Biology,Maths, Sociology.

A's in Chemistry, Urdu, Islamiat

And a B in Pakistan Studies

While previous replies for other subjects show that 6A*s is an average result, considering English Literature's popularity, do I stand a good chance?

Also I am taking English Literature, Physics, Chemistry, Biology and Maths (general paper compulsory) for A-Levels.
Are these A-levels conducive to the Oxford course, or will I be at a diadvantage compared to those who have, say, History, or Latin. I am an international applicant and my school does not offer either of those subjects
Replies will be much appreciated.
Reply 216
Original post by IWMI
I have AABBBBBBBC at gcse and in my first AS level year i got CDE. My GP has put this bad peformance down to mental health issues/stress. I retook my AS levels and got AAAA in biology, chemistry, psychology, and english Lit (with an A in an extended project too) I am hoping to be expected A*A*A at least.

I want to study Biomedical Sciences.

Would i have a chance?

Definitely! I think all universities would look at your story and, looking at your improvement, give you particular consideration!
Hi everyone,

Effectively, I'd like to know how likely it is that I'd get a straight rejection to study English and French at Oxford based on my A2 grades which I've just received.
My module scores and grades are as follows:

Edexcel French:
French 1 - 56/60
French 2 - 112/140
French 3 - 67/70
French 4 - 110/130
Overall Grade - A (3 UMS away from an A*)

WJEC English Literature:
LT1 - 86/120
LT2 - 78/80
LT3 - 80/80
LT4 - 95/120
Overall Grade - A (5 UMS away from an A*, LT4 is currently being remarked in the hope that it increases by 5 UMS)

AQA Physics A:
PHYA1 - 88/120
PHYA2 - 108/120
PHA3T - 40/60
PHYA4 - 106/120
PHA5A - 106/120
PHA6T - 27/60
Overall Grade - B (5 UMS away from an A, willing to retake PHYA1 which I'm certain would push me up to an A)

Edexcel Greek (Modern):
Greek 1 - 240/300
Greek 2 - 180/300
Overall Grade - B

Edexcel Maths AS - Grade C

edit. I thought I'd add in my mediocre GCSEs - A*A*A*AAAAAAAbb

I'm not expecting anyone to tell me I stand even a little bit of a chance of even making it to interview, but would like to hear people's honest opinions regardless.

Thank you!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 218
Original post by Maxm79
Definitely! I think all universities would look at your story and, looking at your improvement, give you particular consideration!

I sense some sarcasm in your voice :tongue:, are you serious? I have been getting some very conflicting answers regarding my situation and i am just not sure what to think anymore. I mean i guess most unis would consider me on behalf of me circumstances and big improvment but This is not most unis, its oxford.

plus they LOVE the good gcses lol, they woud be extra nazi'esq with mine :frown:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by NothingCrushesUs
Hi everyone,

Effectively, I'd like to know how likely it is that I'd get a straight rejection to study English and French at Oxford based on my A2 grades which I've just received.
My module scores and grades are as follows:

Edexcel French:
French 1 - 56/60
French 2 - 112/140
French 3 - 67/70
French 4 - 110/130
Overall Grade - A (3 UMS away from an A*)

WJEC English Literature:
LT1 - 86/120
LT2 - 78/80
LT3 - 80/80
LT4 - 95/120
Overall Grade - A (5 UMS away from an A*, LT4 is currently being remarked in the hope that it increases by 5 UMS)

AQA Physics A:
PHYA1 - 88/120
PHYA2 - 108/120
PHA3T - 40/60
PHYA4 - 106/120
PHA5A - 106/120
PHA6T - 27/60
Overall Grade - B (5 UMS away from an A, willing to retake PHYA1 which I'm certain would push me up to an A)

Edexcel Greek (Modern):
Greek 1 - 240/300
Greek 2 - 180/300
Overall Grade - B

Edexcel Maths AS - Grade C

edit. I thought I'd add in my mediocre GCSEs - A*A*A*AAAAAAAbb

I'm not expecting anyone to tell me I stand even a little bit of a chance of even making it to interview, but would like to hear people's honest opinions regardless.

Thank you!

Well, it's difficult to say seeing as you have not hit the standard offer - it may have been mitigated had you received A*s in English and French.

You would have to retake one of the Bs and then do well on the ELAT and the French grammar test (both on the same day I think).

Also, as a post A-level applicant you would be expected to give a slightly better showing at interview than a post AS applicant.

There is still a chance - if you truly like the look of the course then go for it!

Incidentally, did you apply to any unis for 2011 entry?

Latest

Trending

Trending