The Student Room Group

Geology/Earth Science Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by mickiesal
It's actually easier for me to afford to live in London for uni than anywhere else because of the higher loans and very generous bursaries from the uni, something to think about.

Do any of you go to king eds stourbridge, because a few of you have said brum uni is too close and you do geology a level?

I go to King Eds! Don't go Geology as an A Level though. A few of my friends that have done it say it's really good though, cant wait to start studying it :smile:
Reply 61
Original post by hash007
I go to King Eds! Don't go Geology as an A Level though. A few of my friends that have done it say it's really good though, cant wait to start studying it :smile:

Wahey, literally loved it there, sad to be leaving which school did you go to before? What are you studying? Geology A level was the best, just for the banter haha.
Reply 62
Original post by lilliehear
Thank you!!! Your very good at selling it :tongue: I might look into it then, but it does worry me that loads of people have never even heard of it, doesnt bode that well for employers. But it still sounds really good, and i like the environmental aspect.

Trust me, employers will have heard of UEA. So dont you worry about that.

Loads of people (me included before I applied!) have never heard of the likes of Imperial College and UCL, but they're certainly not rubbish and are well regarded by employers! Often people who have not started looking at universities or have no interest in academia will not have heard of various good universities (usually the universities not named after the city), but people involved in academia and employers certainly will.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 63
Wahey, literally loved it there, sad to be leaving which school did you go to before? What are you studying? Geology A level was the best, just for the banter haha.

Aha I went to Summerhill in Kingswinford, yourself?

I'm taking Biology, Chemistry and Maths! What did you take? Ian Gameson is a legend!!
Reply 64
Original post by hash007
I'm taking Biology, Chemistry and Maths!

A good combination for Geology! :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 65
Original post by hash007
Aha I went to Summerhill in Kingswinford, yourself?

I'm taking Biology, Chemistry and Maths! What did you take? Ian Gameson is a legend!!

Ah the summerhillers, there's always loads of you haha and I took maths, geology and accounts, oh and graphics just to AS. I've heard the biology and chem teachers are a bit strict and weird LOL :/ Who is Ian Gameson, I recognise his name but don't know who he is haha. Who do you have for maths?
Reply 66
Ah the summerhillers, there's always loads of you haha and I took maths, geology and accounts, oh and graphics just to AS. I've heard the biology and chem teachers are a bit strict and weird LOL :/ Who is Ian Gameson, I recognise his name but don't know who he is haha. Who do you have for maths?

Haha yeah, do you know many people from Summerhill in your year? Which school did you go to?
I was going to take graphics but I chose product design instead, worst decision ever...the neverending coursework :nooo: Should have taken Spanish which was what I chose originally, did P.D because my mate did it and it seemed interesting. I've heard bad things about graphics too, most the people I know that took it hated it haha.
I couldn't ask for nicer Bio and Chem teachers tbh, I've been very lucky. Both my bio teachers are lovely and chemistry is a right laugh! Ian is the funniest Chem teacher you will ever come across, surprised you don't know him :awesome:
Mathsm :sigh: I try not to think about it too much, I had Marco and Tom. Marco is hands down the worst teacher I have ever come across, how he got into King Eds I don't know! Tom is a good teacher, but his lessons can be dull.
Reply 67
Original post by Zottula
The best combination for Geology! :biggrin: Perfect.

Just hope I do well in them now! Aiming for A*A*A* :ninja:
Reply 68
Original post by hash007
Just hope I do well in them now! Aiming for A*A*A* :ninja:

Yes and good for you. It's good to aim for the best!
Reply 69
im also applying for geology at uni this coming year. applying to:

Cambridge
Durham
Bristol
Edinburgh
Leeds

got 9 A*s and an A at GCSE, and the got 4 A's at AS studying Geography (100%) Geology (94%) Chemistry (82%) and maths (84% mechanics dragged me down about 6%!! haha). Do you guys think i have any chance at cambridge even though my maths and chem are way down?

And has anyone got any ideas for geology related work experience?!
Thank you!!! Your very good at selling it :tongue: I might look into it then, but it does worry me that loads of people have never even heard of it, doesnt bode that well for employers. But it still sounds really good, and i like the environmental aspect.

haha you're welcome :tongue: Trust me they would have heard of it, especially if you're looking to go into the field. Plus the sandwich year will help with future jobs anyway. If you're interested, I'd seriously suggest you look into one of their open days just to see for yourself. And hey if you go to one after Sept, I could use my selling techniques in person :wink:
Reply 71
Original post by hash007
Haha yeah, do you know many people from Summerhill in your year? Which school did you go to?
I was going to take graphics but I chose product design instead, worst decision ever...the neverending coursework :nooo: Should have taken Spanish which was what I chose originally, did P.D because my mate did it and it seemed interesting. I've heard bad things about graphics too, most the people I know that took it hated it haha.
I couldn't ask for nicer Bio and Chem teachers tbh, I've been very lucky. Both my bio teachers are lovely and chemistry is a right laugh! Ian is the funniest Chem teacher you will ever come across, surprised you don't know him :awesome:
Mathsm :sigh: I try not to think about it too much, I had Marco and Tom. Marco is hands down the worst teacher I have ever come across, how he got into King Eds I don't know! Tom is a good teacher, but his lessons can be dull.

Yeah I know quite a lot of them because in every class there is bound to be someone from summerhill haha and I came king charles in kidderminster if you've heard of it, most people from k'ford way have never heard of kiddy anyway let alone kingy.
I've heard the p.d teacher is horrible haha, everyone always moans about him. Graphics was rubbish, I wanted to do graphic design at uni until I realised I could not work the computer programs LMAO. The graphics teachers are the most annoying people ever, me and my friend you to walk into different rooms when they got close in order to avoid them and their invalid opinions :P and 1/2 hour long pointless talks haha. Sounds like you were very lucky with chem and bio teachers then. I don't know who marco is, what does he look like? or is he a new one? and is tom the older guy? I don't know these people haha i had nev and carol in the first year and then nev and stu, nev is the head of maths and ALWAYS wears red jumpers haha what a legend.
Reply 72
Yeah I know quite a lot of them because in every class there is bound to be someone from summerhill haha and I came king charles in kidderminster if you've heard of it, most people from k'ford way have never heard of kiddy anyway let alone kingy.
I've heard the p.d teacher is horrible haha, everyone always moans about him. Graphics was rubbish, I wanted to do graphic design at uni until I realised I could not work the computer programs LMAO. The graphics teachers are the most annoying people ever, me and my friend you to walk into different rooms when they got close in order to avoid them and their invalid opinions :P and 1/2 hour long pointless talks haha. Sounds like you were very lucky with chem and bio teachers then. I don't know who marco is, what does he look like? or is he a new one? and is tom the older guy? I don't know these people haha i had nev and carol in the first year and then nev and stu, nev is the head of maths and ALWAYS wears red jumpers haha what a legend.

Marco is the new guy, 'half italian half black country', he used to be a rocket scientist :teeth:
Yeh Tom is the old guy, P.D teachers were both awful. I couldn't wait to drop it, Allison never had a clue what she was talking about and Jan was just a bit of a tool.
Reply 73
Original post by hash007
Marco is the new guy, 'half italian half black country', he used to be a rocket scientist :teeth:
Yeh Tom is the old guy, P.D teachers were both awful. I couldn't wait to drop it, Allison never had a clue what she was talking about and Jan was just a bit of a tool.

Ahh we had to be guinea pigs for the people who got interviewed for the new maths teacher, they had to teach us for like 20 mins on some c4 revision stuff. The first woman was good and gave us sweets :cool: haha and the next guy was really weird and had this really posh accent and it was just cringey basically haha, but neither of them got the job haha. Yes jan is the one they were always moaning about cause I think he teaches physics aswell :s-smilie:
Reply 74
Original post by fredholt56
im also applying for geology at uni this coming year. applying to:

Cambridge
Durham
Bristol
Edinburgh
Leeds

got 9 A*s and an A at GCSE, and the got 4 A's at AS studying Geography (100%) Geology (94%) Chemistry (82%) and maths (84% mechanics dragged me down about 6%!! haha). Do you guys think i have any chance at cambridge even though my maths and chem are way down?

And has anyone got any ideas for geology related work experience?!

:shock: I think you'll be fine, your grades are pretty amazing, and tbh earth science isn't the most competitive subject. As long as your interview goes alright, and your personal statement shows passion i'm sure you'll get an offer :smile:
As for work experience, see if there's a local museum you could try, or maybe national trust place, or woodland trust? I've done it with a local earth heritage charity - so maybe you could try that? Or you could try a local university department?
Reply 75
Also does anyone take geophysics? I'm really tempted by it now, though apparently it involves ALOT of maths which i'm unsure about. And any idea what people do instead of a mapping project ?
Reply 76
Also does anyone take geophysics? I'm really tempted by it now, though apparently it involves ALOT of maths which i'm unsure about. And any idea what people do instead of a mapping project ?

I'm interested in Geophysics, apparently its harder than Geology and yeah it does have a lot of maths.
Original post by fredholt56
Do you guys think i have any chance at cambridge even though my maths and chem are way down?

They like to see 90%+ in your 3 most relevent AS levels (I think you'll be applying for NatSci?). Your 100% brings up your average to 93.something but I don't know if that would make up for not having 3 at 90%+. You could always email some admissions people and see what they say. But anyway I would say it's probs still worth applying.

BTW i know nothing about geology, i just stumbled upon this thread accidentally
Reply 78
Original post by hash007
I'm interested in Geophysics, apparently its harder than Geology and yeah it does have a lot of maths.

Well i was talking to some geophysics students at southampton today, and apparently they do 8 modules over the 1st year, 4 are geology (they miss out fossils and stuff like that i think), 2 maths and 2 physics - so your kinda all over the place lecture wise, but i'm not sure if this is true everywhere. It still looks really interesting though, just depends on how hard the maths is - the girl i was talking to said she didnt take further maths or anything and she copes, you just might need to put more work in.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 79
Original post by tgarrud
They like to see 90%+ in your 3 most relevent AS levels (I think you'll be applying for NatSci?). Your 100% brings up your average to 93.something but I don't know if that would make up for not having 3 at 90%+. You could always email some admissions people and see what they say. But anyway I would say it's probs still worth applying.

BTW i know nothing about geology, i just stumbled upon this thread accidentally

Do you know much about Oxford, I did okay at AS, not brilliant. Most of my grades were around the 80% mark. Would they consider me for an interview if I'm predicted A*AA? At GCSE I had 6A*'s, 5A's, 1B

Quick Reply

Latest