The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough

Insurance/Clearing Accommodation

Anyone else in the same situation or have experience with this? Not sure what to put as my preference. I'm thinking of the Temporary Accommodation as they say they'll get you into halls within 3 months but apparently the place you'll stay in will be 125pw or 25per day which is really expensive. I'm not sure about sharing a house with complete strangers and I've heard the private halls are very crap.
£25 per day? :lolwut: That can't be right....

My friend opted for accommodation on campus, and she has to wait till the 14th till she hears anything.
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough
Reply 2
"Temporary Accommodation
A temporary room in hall on Campus or shared room in University owned hotel. This would be catered accommodation, mostly in a wash hand basin room or could be a shared bedroom with en-suite. Indicative cost would be £125 per week or £25 per night.
By offering this option we will commit to making a permanent offer of accommodation in University Halls within the first 3 months of term. Temporary rooms for Insurance and Clearing Students are limited.

Private Hall
A referral to a private hall located within the town. Rooms are all en-suite. Prices will vary according to Hall, ranging up to £99 per week with a let length of up to 42 weeks.
First year students will be accommodated together and offered support by the University Student Accommodation Centre. In addition the Student Union will arrange affiliation to their Town Student Federation (TSF), run by a student committee to arrange social and sporting events.

Student Shared House
A room in a privately owned house in Loughborough Town sharing with other fresher students. A typical price would be £65 per week.
These students will also be supported by the Student Accommodation Centre and eligible for affiliation to the TSF as above."

I want to choose that aswel but if they end up asking me for 25 a day im going bankrupt very quickly
Reply 3
I'm thinking that the £25 per day is if they need to put you up in a hotel (if the temporary halls are full) Being a clearing student I went straight ahead and booked a room at the Foundry. I'd rather be settled than have to move around.
Reply 4
Original post by GameuK
I'm thinking that the £25 per day is if they need to put you up in a hotel (if the temporary halls are full) Being a clearing student I went straight ahead and booked a room at the Foundry. I'd rather be settled than have to move around.

How? Us lowly clearing/insurance folk can't get past the login screen of the accomdation booking site :confused:
Reply 5
Original post by RollingStar
How? Us lowly clearing/insurance folk can't get past the login screen of the accomdation booking site :confused:

The foundry is a private hall, meaning it has nothing to do with the university and you can book your own room anytime.

If your interested in private halls then there are quite a few to choose from. 'The Cube' and 'Kingfisher Halls' both had some rooms left when I was looking a coupe of weeks back. Both are a reasonable walk from campus though.
Reply 6
Kingfisher Halls looks quite nice. Close to campus and parking aswel! But their website looks really dodgy, and the fact that it has a dedicated chinese page makes me think that the majority will be from China. I'm Chinese aswel but was born and grew up here so I'd prefer if the place wasn't full of Internationals. Anyone know anything about the kind of people that normally live there?
Reply 7
Original post by RollingStar

As BigV said above its a private hall. When I spoke to admissions they said that you shouldn't be able to log in, as long as you register you will be considered. However you should read the email with the attached letter they sent you last week. On there is a link to the preferences site where you choose what you would like to happen should they not be able to give you a halls place.

I decided I didn't want to wait any longer to find out where I would be. Added to that I will be on holiday on the 14th when we would receive our accommodation offers so I decided to go private.

In case you are interested there are many halls in town, the biggest I beleive are Waterways (Whom I think still have rooms) The Foundry (Who have a large waiting list for a room), Asha House (Also full) The Printhouse (Unsure if they have rooms) and The Cube (Unsure if they have rooms) These places provide a "Hall like" experience although they will probably be dominated by second or third years. There is also Kingfisher that has a good few large houses converted into flats with en-suites. I'm not sure if there are many International students there, but when I was there a few weeks back there were a fair few Chinese students around
Reply 8
Original post by VersaEmerge
Kingfisher Halls looks quite nice. Close to campus and parking aswel! But their website looks really dodgy, and the fact that it has a dedicated chinese page makes me think that the majority will be from China. I'm Chinese aswel but was born and grew up here so I'd prefer if the place wasn't full of Internationals. Anyone know anything about the kind of people that normally live there?

I had a look around and the guy who manages it seems really nice. They do have freshers and some college students, but are mainly older (2nd/3rd year) and postgrad students (although the postgrads have a separate block). They have a mix of people including internationals.

When I was looking a month or so back they only really had the more expensive rooms left, the cheaper singles had been taken already. Having said that the room sizes are generous with nice ensuites, so maybe worth that bit extra if you like space and privacy.

Only reason I didn't go for it was because the Uni has now allocated me a room in Harry French.

edit: I also looked around "the cube" which I felt was a bit of a treck from the uni itself... would be OK if you didn't mind cycling but I would guess 30mins on foot.
However, it was all very new and nicely done. I got the impression that they weren't exactly overbooked - the girl who showed me around suggested I went for a standard ensuite room rather than a studio flat because: "If you went for a room in a flat you might get the whole flat to yourself or only be sharing with 1 other anyway".
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by BigV
The foundry is a private hall, meaning it has nothing to do with the university and you can book your own room anytime.

If your interested in private halls then there are quite a few to choose from. 'The Cube' and 'Kingfisher Halls' both had some rooms left when I was looking a coupe of weeks back. Both are a reasonable walk from campus though.

Original post by GameuK
As BigV said above its a private hall. When I spoke to admissions they said that you shouldn't be able to log in, as long as you register you will be considered. However you should read the email with the attached letter they sent you last week. On there is a link to the preferences site where you choose what you would like to happen should they not be able to give you a halls place.

I decided I didn't want to wait any longer to find out where I would be. Added to that I will be on holiday on the 14th when we would receive our accommodation offers so I decided to go private.

In case you are interested there are many halls in town, the biggest I beleive are Waterways (Whom I think still have rooms) The Foundry (Who have a large waiting list for a room), Asha House (Also full) The Printhouse (Unsure if they have rooms) and The Cube (Unsure if they have rooms) These places provide a "Hall like" experience although they will probably be dominated by second or third years. There is also Kingfisher that has a good few large houses converted into flats with en-suites. I'm not sure if there are many International students there, but when I was there a few weeks back there were a fair few Chinese students around

I see, thanks! I think i'll wait it out in the hotel, despite it being bloody expensive. Really don't want to miss out on the halls experience

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending