The Student Room Group

After telling someone the degree you study, what is their response?

Scroll to see replies

What exactly is cs. Do you use computer simulations to solve problems in medicine?
Reply 741
"Building Surveying"
"Oh is that using those lasers on tripods?"
"Yes. That's about 1% of it"
*has lost interest*
Original post by ...mo...
:please:

Biomed :tongue:
Reply 743
I am asuming that you are studying at a top. You studying at Oxford?

No, no (I wish :awesome:), I study at Nottingham. I considered Oxford for postgraduate work, mainly because there are a few members of staff that would be ideal supervisors, as well as the prestige that comes with being at Oxbridge, but I don't think it would be worth it. There's the cost of Oxford, I doubt I'd get much financial support, and the fact that the degree would probably be no better than at Nottingham, and at Nottingham there are two medievalists that I really get along with, so moving now wouldn't be beneficial. But Oxford is still nice :moon:
Reply 744
I'm doing French and Italian. (with Translation Studies but I tend not to say that because it's just a mouthful)

People generally seem impressed and then I ALWAYS get asked what I want to do with it. Other language students get annoyed that people assume translation is the only route, but that's actually what I want to do so it doesn't bother me so much.
Hey. I was reading your post and wanted to ask if you want to be actuary, since that is something I am looking at.

I'll pm ya!
Ancient History and Archaeology. Primarily people go 'Oh, um wow that sounds... interesting!'

I just want to yell at them 'It's not as dull as it sounds!'
Original post by skunky x
Ancient History and Archaeology. Primarily people go 'Oh, um wow that sounds... interesting!'

It doesn't sound dull at all. Don't they watch Dr Who? River Song makes Archaeology into one of the coolest things ever! But really, it sounds really interesting. What parts of ancient history are you studying?
Thanks. I want to write a dual PS for accounting and economics. I am aware that they are not as diverse as the two subjects you chose but would like some help if you don't mind, since I feel that this is my weakest part. I have a feeling that you are a very capable student by just seeing the uni's that you applied for and hope that you can give me some advice on writing a PS

Umm sure :smile:

I guess a good place to start is why did you choose those subjects? Also what A-levels are you doing and do you have any relevant work experience?
LOL sounds like you took that from your PS. I am aware that the IT sector is booming but what specific jobs can you get with a cs degree. What grades do I need go get in at a typical mid ranked or maybe even top university?

Tbh, it sounds utterly fascinating to me. :daydreaming: Often wish I did it, but don't think I'd be very good at it for some reason.
Original post by pixie<3
Umm sure :smile:

I guess a good place to start is why did you choose those subjects? Also what A-levels are you doing and do you have any relevant work experience?

Thanks ill PM you :smile:
Reply 752
when i say film production people just look at me patronisingly thinking i'm completely delusional
:frown:
Original post by aspirinpharmacist

Original post by aspirinpharmacist
It doesn't sound dull at all. Don't they watch Dr Who? River Song makes Archaeology into one of the coolest things ever! But really, it sounds really interesting. What parts of ancient history are you studying?

Don't know yet, don't start until October XD

Original post by Stressworthy
Tbh, it sounds utterly fascinating to me. :daydreaming: Often wish I did it, but don't think I'd be very good at it for some reason.

It's just a story with dates =] I guess you've got to be able to read a lot of dull texts, which puts most people off.
Original post by Can't Touch This.
What do you study?

well i start building surveying in a couple of weeks.
Don't know yet, don't start until October XD

It's just a story with dates =] I guess you've got to be able to read a lot of dull texts, which puts most people off.

Ah well, still sounds interesting anyway. I love History.
Doing earth science and geography.
I usually get either "earth-...whats that?" or "OHH! like Volcanoes and stuff!" But they usually lose intrest when I explain that volcanoes is just one part of it.
one man even asked me "wow so you're going to be one of those people that lives on top of a volcano in a tinfoil suits!" lol
I bet for med students its:

Male Med Student: "I study medicine you know :sexface:"

Girl in bar: "O' rly? :fan:"

Fat sweaty bar man: "Can you look at a rash for me doc?"

Male. Med Student: "erm..... :erm: "

Bar man: *pulls down pants and exposes genitals*

Med Student: :puke: :afraid:

Girl: :laugh:

Not the bits he expected :sigh:'
Original post by Iron Mask Duval
I think people are only negging now to troll because you brought up that people were doing it in the first place. Still unsure why it got any originally though.

I think you're right. There seems to be a rep war going on in my post I am unaware of.
Reply 759
"What, so you actually ENJOY politics?"

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending