The Student Room Group

English Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by thethinker
Hello! :biggrin:

Lots of other subjects seem to have this, so I thought I'll create one for the best subject! :tongue:

To kick things off, what are you all reading atm? I've just finished Hamlet and am starting The Great Gatsby.

Also where are you thinking of applying? I'm thinking of Oxford/Cambridge (still not sure yet :s-smilie:) Bristol and Warwick.

Just wondering, what a-levels did you take?
Reply 21
Original post by lucy_woopx
Just wondering, what a-levels did you take?

I'm quite weird :tongue:

I do English, History, Maths and....

Spoiler

Reply 22
Original post by LeSacMagique
Excellent choice. Any idea where you'll apply to?

Thanks. I am going to apply to Oxford (because I only live once), Durham, Leeds, Royal Holloway (possibly) and Kent (perhaps).
Original post by Obsidian
Thanks. I am going to apply to Oxford (because I only live once), Durham, Leeds, Royal Holloway (possibly) and Kent (perhaps).

Oh, cool, we have (possibly) two in common then! I have a terrible feeling I might be overdoing the 'you only live once' philosophy with my choices
Reply 24

What would you recommend for someone who hasn't really explored the Renaissance? I've only really read Shakespeare and don't know what to start with :smile:
What would you recommend for someone who hasn't really explored the Renaissance? I've only really read Shakespeare and don't know what to start with :smile:

Well, my personal fave is Christopher Marlowe. He's most famous for Dr. Faustus, which I am actually doing for A2, luckily enough, but it's all pretty good stuff - 'Tamburlaine the Great' is a pretty hilariously weird subversion of the old medieval morality plays, and his sort-of-epic poem 'Hero and Leander' has some great lines. He's also quite interesting as the person to make blank verse famous, so there's scope for possible PS/interview musing about the development of that form too. Apart from that there's Donne, who's a big dog, but whom I haven't really read that much of - I think his big thing is his 'Holy Sonnets' but don't quote me on that.

However, I don't really think I am that qualified to talk about the period since I am only really getting started myself!
Reply 26
Well, my personal fave is Christopher Marlowe. He's most famous for Dr. Faustus, which I am actually doing for A2, luckily enough, but it's all pretty good stuff - 'Tamburlaine the Great' is a pretty hilariously weird subversion of the old medieval morality plays, and his sort-of-epic poem 'Hero and Leander' has some great lines. He's also quite interesting as the person to make blank verse famous, so there's scope for possible PS/interview musing about the development of that form too. Apart from that there's Donne, who's a big dog, but whom I haven't really read that much of - I think his big thing is his 'Holy Sonnets' but don't quote me on that.

However, I don't really think I am that qualified to talk about the period since I am only really getting started myself!

Ok thanks! I'm doing Faustus for A2 as well, and I'll probably go and see the current production at the Globe :smile:
Reply 27
Oh, cool, we have (possibly) two in common then! I have a terrible feeling I might be overdoing the 'you only live once' philosophy with my choices

:five: I'm looking forward to this year but there is that terror in the back of my mind that I won't get a place/get an offer and miss it.

But then I think of my books and the chance to read more and more for three years and expand my mind sparks me up again. :biggrin:
Ok thanks! I'm doing Faustus for A2 as well, and I'll probably go and see the current production at the Globe :smile:

Oh, cool! I think my school's arranging for some sort of trip to see that :smile:
Hey, I want to English Literature, I was thinking maybe Lancaster, Manchester, Leicester, not sure about the other two choices yet... I'm reading Dracula at the minute, think I might write about it for my coursework this year.

I havent really read much from that period, looked at a little bit of Chaucer and Marlowe because like you, I'm doing Dr Faustus for A2 as well. Am I the only one here that struggles to understand the texts? :confused: It feels like learning a different language to me... :s-smilie:
Original post by STARMissyB
I havent really read much from that period, looked at a little bit of Chaucer and Marlowe because like you, I'm doing Dr Faustus for A2 as well. Am I the only one here that struggles to understand the texts? :confused: It feels like learning a different language to me... :s-smilie:

It's definitely not as easy as, say, The Great Gatsby was last year. I find you just have to concentrate and focus a lot - they're def. not the sorts of things I could read with the TV on. (Oh, and Chaucer really is tricky - I have only read a bit before deciding that I will wait until we do it in class...)
(edited 12 years ago)
It's definitely not as easy as, say, The Great Gatsby was last year. I find you just have to concentrate and focus a lot - they're def. not the sorts of things I could read with the TV on. (Oh, and Chaucer really is tricky - I have only read a bit before deciding that I will wait until we do it in class...)

Hmm... maybe I'll get it with time, but i read a short extract of The Pardoner's Tale and I seriously did not have a clue what the hell was happening...:redface:
Reply 33

Staying with playwrights, Webster's Duchess of Malfi and Middleton's The Revenger's Tragedy are well worth reading - massively entertaining although they lack something of Shakespeare's subtlety :smile:
As someone else mentioned, Donne is a huge one, his Holy Sonnets are amazing but also check out Valediction: Forbidding Mourning - it really give you a sense of what the metaphysicals are all about.

Hope this helps, its a period I absolutely love, and I'm wondering whether i've slightly overdone it in my personal statement - the rest is either modern novels (Cormac McCarthy, Kazuo Ishiguro) and Spanish writers (Borges, Marquez). I'm considering throwing in Dickens as well, who has a special place in my heart, as this will just balance out the time periods, although then I think I'm strapped for space :/ Oh dilemma!
Reply 34
Original post by Orinooko
Staying with playwrights, Webster's Duchess of Malfi and Middleton's The Revenger's Tragedy are well worth reading - massively entertaining although they lack something of Shakespeare's subtlety :smile:
As someone else mentioned, Donne is a huge one, his Holy Sonnets are amazing but also check out Valediction: Forbidding Mourning - it really give you a sense of what the metaphysicals are all about.

Hope this helps, its a period I absolutely love, and I'm wondering whether i've slightly overdone it in my personal statement - the rest is either modern novels (Cormac McCarthy, Kazuo Ishiguro) and Spanish writers (Borges, Marquez). I'm considering throwing in Dickens as well, who has a special place in my heart, as this will just balance out the time periods, although then I think I'm strapped for space :/ Oh dilemma!

I love Ishiguro! We did 'Never Let Me Go' last year, but I think 'The Remains of the Day' may be my favourite book :smile:
Reply 35
I've applied for English 2 years in a row, and I'm going to Leeds in a couple of weeks so if you guys need anything let me know :smile: Best of luck this year!
Hello everyone!! I am going to apply for English next year. I badly want to go to WARWICK as I love the uni and the course is amazing. Not sure about my other choices; current shortlist is UCL, King's, Birmingham and Sheffield.
Reply 37
I love Ishiguro! We did 'Never Let Me Go' last year, but I think 'The Remains of the Day' may be my favourite book :smile:

Me too :smile: He's great although he's really only getting a name drop - so at least I might get to talk about him at interview :smile: I like those too the best as well - have you read when we were orphans? not so good I don't think...

I've decided to leave my personal statement over heavy on the Elizabethans+Jacobeans, as I think it shows I know what I like :smile:

Anyway, I'm applying to Cambridge, Durham, UCL, Exeter and St. Andrews :smile: I know they're all big-hitters but I've got the benefit of A2 grades in hand :smile:
Reply 38
Original post by Orinooko
Me too :smile: He's great although he's really only getting a name drop - so at least I might get to talk about him at interview :smile: I like those too the best as well - have you read when we were orphans? not so good I don't think...

I've decided to leave my personal statement over heavy on the Elizabethans+Jacobeans, as I think it shows I know what I like :smile:

Anyway, I'm applying to Cambridge, Durham, UCL, Exeter and St. Andrews :smile: I know they're all big-hitters but I've got the benefit of A2 grades in hand :smile:

Unfortunately I haven't read anything else by him.

That's my problem for my PS, I've read bit of different periods/ authors, but nothing in-depth :s-smilie:

How did your A2s go? :smile:
Reply 39
Unfortunately I haven't read anything else by him.

That's my problem for my PS, I've read bit of different periods/ authors, but nothing in-depth :s-smilie:

How did your A2s go? :smile:

Ha don't worry - as I said I don't think when we were orphans is worth it :smile:

Yeah its a hard one to judge, whether to cover the time periods neatly or just go all out on a couple... I think I might try and ask someone at my (ex)! school, although they're getting a bit lairy about helping me with my application...
How many authors/books would you say you are mentioning in total?

3A* (A nice suprise - honestly) Anything less and I wouldn't have dared do anything as stupid as giving up a place at Durham for English (Which I still adore btw - I'm applying there again this year, its just Cambridge gets to you like nothing else...)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending