The Student Room Group

Should Inheritance Be Banned?

Scroll to see replies

100% taxes dont earn an revenue, you can't just calculate the amount of inheritance and say you could give it to the poor because people will just make sure they blow all their money before they die rather than save up for no reason. This means the idea cannot work so we shouldn't do it.
Reply 141
Original post by Dause
Then let me be clearer: I oppose monetary transfers from living parents to the same extent as dead ones, provided such monetary transfers unduly influence opportunity. Education falls under this. McDonalds does not.

Seeing as you have no problem with monetary transfers as long as they do not provide too large an opportunity, why should inheritances of small monetary value be taken away?

An inheritance of, for example, $5000 isn't really going to offer someone a great advantage in life, but it might help them out if they're in dire need of money. Similarly, any sort of heirloom of emotional value is not going to give someone undue advantage.

Your proposed blanket ban of inheritance would not even allow these simple transfers.
Reply 142
Original post by Sternumator
100% taxes dont earn an revenue, you can't just calculate the amount of inheritance and say you could give it to the poor because people will just make sure they blow all their money before they die rather than save up for no reason. This means the idea cannot work so we shouldn't do it.

This has been addressed multiple times. If you ban annuities, this will earn revenue.

I will return once more to the analogy of the market for illegal drugs: there is currently a 100% tax on incomes earned in this market. People still partake because they don't expect to get caught. But some do. Guess what? Revenue.

Saying that a 100% tax will not bring any revenue is simplistic at best.
Original post by Dause
No, because banning those things would be stupid. Cost > benefit in my eyes. Not so with inheritance. Your last point is probably the one thing we can agree on: this would be political suicide. The majority would oppose it: some people would have good reasons, most would not.

OK fair enough I was going a little extreme, but where would you draw the line - for instance what if you set up an after death trust fund for your young child in case you and your partner died, would that be legal? I think it's too complex a matter to be able to just ban.
Reply 144
Original post by Dnibara
Seeing as you have no problem with monetary transfers as long as they do not provide too large an opportunity, why should inheritances of small monetary value be taken away?

An inheritance of, for example, $5000 isn't really going to offer someone a great advantage in life, but it might help them out if they're in dire need of money. Similarly, any sort of heirloom of emotional value is not going to give someone undue advantage.

Your proposed blanket ban of inheritance would not even allow these simple transfers.

Because you will be forced to establish some arbitrary limit, such as £5,000. This is still an unfair advantage, as there are many families that cannot leave their children even this small amount. Surely they are in equally dire need for money? Remember that this revenue doesn't disappear. Use it as you please.

I agree with you regarding heirlooms. The problem is ascertaining which have sentimental value and which do not. There would doubtless be many people claiming that their parents' Ferrari means an awful lot to them. The only way to sort the truthful from the fraudulent is to require that they buy them back. The Ferrari would cost thousands. The picture of your parent's wedding day might set you back £1. It's not ideal, but it works.

Original post by Joker370
OK fair enough I was going a little extreme, but where would you draw the line - for instance what if you set up an after death trust fund for your young child in case you and your partner died, would that be legal? I think it's too complex a matter to be able to just ban.

My simple rule, conforming to the ideals of meritocracy, remain: if it unduly advantages the child, and can be prevented at a cost less than the benefit of doing so, it should be banned. The orphan story seems to convince a lot of people, but it is pretty weak. Again, remember that the revenue does not disappear. If you're really concerned about all these orphans that have suddenly sprouted up, use the revenue to address this. Give each kid £20,000 if their parents die while they are dependent, or some other variation that satisfies you. At least this would be an equal compensation.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Dause
I have no doubt that the incentive to bequeath exists. I do believe that it is far less influential than you believe, and certainly less than the motives of precaution and provision for retirement. Regardless, the increased productivity of the next generation would far outweigh any perceived loss in the older generation.

And again I tell you, I am suggesting nothing of the sort. I am saying that inheritance and meritocracy appear fundamentally incompatible, and to support one is to reject the other.

I am saying that giving heirs wealth for nothing reduces their incentive to work, and reduces the opportunities available to others (had the income been redistributed). Equality of opportunity, not equality of outcome.

I disagree with your premise entirely. I think any decent parents who have been successful would ensure their children were brought up to have a strong work ethic.

I would love to here what opportunities the poorer people are lacking. School is free; if you work harder and are a high achiever, you can get grants and scholarships at private schools, or go to a grammar school, etc. Again, we see hard work is key.

Similarly with university; the student loan system is much kinder to those who are less well off, so if anything they have a better opportunity in this respect; many wealthier parents see no obligation to pay for university, at which point the "child" is eighteen, and should be funding themselves. Not all wealthy parents shower their children in money all the time, you know. On the contrary, the government gives grants, reduced fees, benefits, and so on to those less well off.

Education wise there are no lacking opportunities. Working hard at school is what is needed, not money.
What about people whose families worked their way up from nothing to give their children something? Why should the results of my family's hard work for us be enjoyed by someone other than ourselves.

I too would be on a one way flight out of this place if such a law were ever to come into force.
Reply 147
Original post by Dause
This is fine. If you are prepared to accept a society that is not a meritocracy, then inheritance does not pose a problem.

Because not all decisions regarding our money are in society's interest. Again, consider the example of illegal drugs. Why aren't you outraged that you cannot dictate where your money goes in this case? You already accept there are certain things you cannot do with your money because it would be detrimental to society. I believe that inheritance is one of those things.

Regarding charities: I don't care what you do with the money as long as it's sensible. If you want to give it all to charities, go for it. I don't think this would be the most effective form of redistribution, but that's another argument for another day.

Their incentives are not right in front of your eyes.

Thanks for stopping by.

If your parents have investments and assets which you have seen with your own eyes, which they repeatedly tell you that you are going to inherit and which is being done to give you a decent start in life, what are you going to think and say ...errm actually i don't believe you because you're my enemies not my parents and you don't to give me a decent start in life?:rolleyes:
Reply 148
Original post by arob752
Why shouldn't they be able to do these things?

Because in the hands of the rich, those things lose their intrinsic purpose (i.e. educating, living and generating capital).

- Private education is not about education at all. It is an exercise in social exclusion. People pay to ensure a "better" education than those who cannot afford to pay for private education. Private education cannot run without fee-paying students, thus any talk about scholarships is simply a smoke screen.

If people do not have the stomach to ban private schools, then their charitable status should be revoked and they should be taxed like any other business.

- Buying more than one home is nothing but indulgence. If a rich person buys a second home it means there is one less property for someone else to use; and the market becomes unsustainable. In rural areas, people grow up knowing that they will never be able to afford to buy and, in some cases, rent property in their own area because people have decided to buy second homes in the countryside. The same applies in London; the hyper rich have made the entire unsustainable for everyone else, who now have to receive more in wages and subsidises from the government. Because of a shortage of affordable housing, local government have to spend huge amounts of money developing property purely for people who do not earn a high wage and in housing benefit.

I am actually looking at housing at the moment so it is a relevant problem. The difference in price between two properties in the same street, one owned by a housing association and the other privately rented, is £1100 a year. The council have limited resources which mean only a small number of people get to live in appropriate properties (i.e. closer to what they actually cost to build and maintain); most others have to pay significantly more for worse service. And who owns the housing which the majority have are forced into paying too much for? Guess.

- The last is obvious. It is pure discrimination. All applications should be "blind" so candidates are compared fairly. All unpaid internships should be banned and all job vacancies should be advertised publicly. This should be applied to all private enterprise too. Financial law as it stands benefits no one but the rich.

To summarise, inheritance should not be banned; I do not even think it should be taxed to be honest. But actively preventing ways in which the rich can create and exercise inequality is the way to go. The government should absolutely hammer second-home ownership, for example. The rich can waste their money on other things which do not have such a detrimental effect on other people's lives.
Reply 149
Original post by Astronomical
I disagree with your premise entirely. I think any decent parents who have been successful would ensure their children were brought up to have a strong work ethic.

I would love to here what opportunities the poorer people are lacking. School is free; if you work harder and are a high achiever, you can get grants and scholarships at private schools, or go to a grammar school, etc. Again, we see hard work is key.

Similarly with university; the student loan system is much kinder to those who are less well off, so if anything they have a better opportunity in this respect; many wealthier parents see no obligation to pay for university, at which point the "child" is eighteen, and should be funding themselves. Not all wealthy parents shower their children in money all the time, you know. On the contrary, the government gives grants, reduced fees, benefits, and so on to those less well off.

Education wise there are no lacking opportunities. Working hard at school is what is needed, not money.

You are deluding yourself. There are countless studies showing the correlation between socioeconomic group and educational achievement. You are right about scholarships - what you are missing is that the poor have to earn this privilege, while others (again, myself included) merely paid for it. The poor student has to work hard to achieve parity with the rich student who does not.

That's not even to mention the sort of home environment many underprivileged children must live in. When I was in school I never had to get a job. I had my own room, my own desk, my own laptop. Are you saying this didn't contribute to my educational results? I know that I owe a lot to my parents' wealth; I also know that this is not acceptable under a meritocracy.

This is point is getting slightly off-topic though, so perhaps we should agree to disagree and focus instead on the concept of inheritance.

Original post by HumiT
If your parents have investments and assets which you have seen with your own eyes, which they repeatedly tell you that you are going to inherit and which is being done to give you a decent start in life, what are you going to think and say ...errm actually i don't believe you because you're my enemies not my parents and you don't to give me a decent start in life?:rolleyes:

Hopefully a simple thought experiment will resolve this: imagine you die tomorrow. Your brothers and sisters, should you have any, also perish in this sudden tragedy. Fast forward a year. Where are your parents? Have they quit their jobs, sold their assets and spent all their money, resigned to living at subsistence level off social welfare? If you can honestly answer 'yes' to these questions you must be one hell of a kid.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Dause
This is fine. If you are prepared to accept a society that is not a meritocracy, then inheritance does not pose a problem.

I'm under no illusions that we do not have a true meritocracy. Are you not prepared to accept it?

Original post by Dause
Because not all decisions regarding our money are in society's interest. Again, consider the example of illegal drugs. Why aren't you outraged that you cannot dictate where your money goes in this case? You already accept there are certain things you cannot do with your money because it would be detrimental to society. I believe that inheritance is one of those things.

Regarding charities: I don't care what you do with the money as long as it's sensible. If you want to give it all to charities, go for it. I don't think this would be the most effective form of redistribution, but that's another argument for another day.

Why is giving an inheritance not sensible? What if a parent gave conditions that meant say, the inheritance was to be used to start up the childs idea for a new gadget or company which would benefit society with the jobs created and help stimulate the economy.

If you accept that giving the money to charities should be accepted as it can bring abour redistribution of the money then why do inheritances have to be any different?

(I will concede that a lot of inheritances are set up like that but what about the few which will be?)

Your idea seems to suggest that it doesn't matter about the character of the person or their own abilities in receiving the inheritance. How do you know that by taking it away it would do more good than allowing it and then if the person was so inclined they could help in the local area.
Reply 151
Original post by Dause
Because you will be forced to establish some arbitrary limit, such as £5,000. This is still an unfair advantage, as there are many families that cannot leave their children even this small amount. Surely they are in equally dire need for money?

I don't really get what you're saying here...
How is this an unfair advantage to anyone? People will be allowed to leave less than a specified amount,possibly to help with small problems and such, which will obviously not be enough to give anyone any real advantage in life.

I agree with you regarding heirlooms. The problem is ascertaining which have sentimental value and which do not. There would doubtless be many people claiming that their parents' Ferrari means an awful lot to them. The only way to sort the truthful from the fraudulent is to require that they buy them back. The Ferrari would cost thousands. The picture of your parent's wedding day might set you back £1. It's not ideal, but it works.

I agree, but I think the best option would be to, as with monetary inheritances, simply set a value limit above which heirlooms cannot be inherited.

I'm just going to raise a few more points here -
1) What if I want to donate to a charity in India or some other foreign country? how would giving my money to the government aid the people I want to help?

2) What if my child wanted to study at Harvard and got in. If I was alive, I would have been able to pay for his education, but I am dead and would be inheritance has been seized. His scholarships do not cover much, and he would be facing enormous student debt. how would the government deal with this?

Also on a side-note, no inheritance would mean Bruce Wayne wouldn't be Batman:tongue:
Reply 152
Original post by Dause
I'm sorry, but this is really stupid. Income tax takes money from hard-workers. Inheritance tax takes money from the lucky. One taxes achievement, the other taxes ascription. Meritocracy, aristocracy. Take your pick.

First and foremost I think banning inheritance is a crazy idea. Not everyone is born into wealth and it is absolutely wrong in principle or in practice for the state to take all of the deceased estate rather than it pass to their family or other people/organisations. What if a man started a business from nothing and grew it into a very successful company. By your reasoning, or at least on your proposal, the state would take it over as it's value/capitalisation would form part of the man's estate.

Daft idea that has hints of being based on the politics of envy tbh.
Reply 153
Original post by SirMasterKey
I'm under no illusions that we do not have a true meritocracy. Are you not prepared to accept it?

I know that there is nowhere on Earth where a meritocracy exists. I do, however, believe that it is an ideal to strive for. Hence my opposition to inheritance.

Original post by SirMasterKey

Why is giving an inheritance not sensible? What if a parent gave conditions that meant say, the inheritance was to be used to start up the childs idea for a new gadget or company which would benefit society with the jobs created and help stimulate the economy.

If you accept that giving the money to charities should be accepted as it can bring abour redistribution of the money then why do inheritances have to be any different?

(I will concede that a lot of inheritances are set up like that but what about the few which will be?)

Your idea seems to suggest that it doesn't matter about the character of the person or their own abilities in receiving the inheritance. How do you know that by taking it away it would do more good than allowing it and then if the person was so inclined they could help in the local area.

I would say, "what reason have you to believe the rich kid's idea is better than the poor kid's one?" ; "why should one idea come to fruition simply because their parents were rich?". The market should decide.

I do not believe that redistribution to charities is the best option, but I do believe it is preferable to simple inheritance. That is because, once again, I believe:

That a meritocracy is desirable.

That inheritance increases the opportunity gap between rich and poor.

That charities do the opposite.

In an ideal world, I would know exactly the character of each individual and allocate resources accordingly. I don't, no-one does. It would therefore appear sensible to assume that any given individual is equally likely to have the potential to contribute to society.
Reply 154
Inheritance is merely a gift bequeathed upon death. So unless we're for government control of all private transactions, it's a no-go.
Original post by Dause
I should probably preface this by saying I am discussing this idea in principle rather than in practice, so arguments about the incompetency of government, etc. should have no bearing just now.

I'm having trouble reconciling the concept of inheritance (a transfer payment) with that of either capitalism or meritocracy. Surely a society that subscribes to either ideology must consider bequests to be a violation of their principles? I would be very interested to hear people's opinions on this, but let me make a few brief points first.

The argument for a 100% tax rate seems pretty compelling to me... The most immediate of these is the government revenue that it would produce, which could be used for any number of worthwhile purposes. It could be redistributed to the lower classes, increasing their opportunities in life and reducing wealth inequality. Those 'deprived' of large inheritances would be forced to earn their keep in life, rather than living off their parents' work.

This would go some way towards satisfying a basic tenet of both capitalism and meritocracy, that of equality of opportunity (as opposed to the equality of outcome espoused by Communism). Abolishing inheritance would also help to reduce wealth inequality (again, as opposed to income inequality).

A number of obvious objections doubtless come to mind, and I would love to hear them. I think I can respond to most of them, but I am interested to see what others think.

Right, so the money saved up by people their whole lives for the benefit of their children won't even go to them in the end, and the parents' scrimping and saving their whole lives would have been for nothing? Yeah, sounds brilliant...
Reply 156
Original post by Dause
You are deluding yourself. There are countless studies showing the correlation between socioeconomic group and educational achievement. You are right about scholarships - what you are missing is that the poor have to earn this privilege, while others (again, myself included) merely paid for it. The poor student has to work hard to achieve parity with the rich student who does not.

That's not even to mention the sort of home environment many underprivileged children must live in. When I was in school I never had to get a job. I had my own room, my own desk, my own laptop. Are you saying this didn't contribute to my educational results? I know that I owe a lot to my parents' wealth; I also know that this is not acceptable under a meritocracy.

This is point is getting slightly off-topic though, so perhaps we should agree to disagree and focus instead on the concept of inheritance.

Hopefully a simple thought experiment will resolve this: imagine you die tomorrow. Your brothers and sisters, should you have any, also perish in this sudden tragedy. Fast forward a year. Where are your parents? Have they quit their jobs, sold their assets and spent all their money, resigned to living at subsistence level off social welfare? If you can honestly answer 'yes' to these questions you must be one hell of a kid.

I don't understand the point you're trying to make. If, god forbid, my siblings and I did die then I don't think my parents would be investing anymore. They would just carry on working and live their lives and as for the assets they already have I don't know what they would do with them. I think they would either sell up or leave it for relatives
That seems rather authoritarian does it not? The right to property (including material wealth) is perhaps one of the most basic of all rights and should not be taken away which would certainly be the case if this ban were to be enacted.
Reply 158
Why not just reduce the world's population to slaves, no money for anyone - perfect equality.......(going a bit OCD on this point aren't you).

Personally I think a little inequality is good. It can create change and encourages people to work harder. It also gives them something to work towards.

Also I wouldn't want the government spending my hard earned money on lazy b******s who won't get a job (being all equal will be handy for them won't it?), teenage girls who get pregnant for the money or any of their other crazy schemes.
Reply 159
Original post by Dause
Principle rather than practice. Would you care to tell me why exactly you believe the principle of banning inheritance is not acceptable?

As it is still unfair and here are two examples of why I find it unfair.

Example 1 - Say you have a single Mum who has 2 children age 16 and the Mum owns her house but does not have much other wealth. The Mum dies suddenly in a freak accident, the 2 children and mourning and grieving for the loss of there mother. Then suddenly to make things even worst for them they lose there home to 100% inheritance tax. Tell me how is that fair.

Example 2 - Someone works hard all there life, pays there taxes and decides to give there money to there children, other relatives and charity. What right does the government have in stopping that person from deciding which people get that money.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending