The Student Room Group

Leicester Medical School Applicants 2012 :)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Erotas
I have 57/60 too but I don't know what position would be deemed as good because they haven't used it before :L

Ah I see, didn't know it was the first year for this.

I think it will be good because if the average UKCAT score is around 2400-2500 then 55 should be about average (providing most people are getting 6A*s)?
Original post by chats4england
Ah I see, didn't know it was the first year for this.

I think it will be good because if the average UKCAT score is around 2400-2500 then 55 should be about average (providing most people are getting 6A*s)?

I think the assumption of the 6A*'s is abit excessive? Or is that what they are looking for in candidates :eek::eek:
Original post by AmbitiousMedic
I think the assumption of the 6A*'s is abit excessive? Or is that what they are looking for in candidates :eek::eek:

I sure hope so (that the assumption is excessive) :afraid:
Reply 63
Original post by Erotas
I have 57/60 too but I don't know what position would be deemed as good because they haven't used it before :L

Original post by chats4england
I'm going to score 57/60.

Does that put me in a good situation?

Don't know if I'm applying yet, but I'd get 57/60 too, don't know what that means really :erm:
Reply 64
I have a score between 56 and 58, I'm not sure what it is yet :frown:

For their GCSE requirements, do they count English lit and English language? And for science, do they count the double award, even if I did separate chemistry and physics? Because my score could be 27 for GCSEs, or it could be 29 :\
Reply 65
Original post by Metastasis
anyone has any idea how the international applicants will be graded for their GCEs as not everyone will have taken them? :smile:

Check the pdf on the medicine faculty website :biggrin: They should have some detailed descriptions there. I think they're going to score you based on the equivalent grades
Reply 66
Original post by doctork2

Original post by doctork2
Check the pdf on the medicine faculty website :biggrin: They should have some detailed descriptions there. I think they're going to score you based on the equivalent grades

thing is, for singapore, we have this integrated programme thing which i am in. it's a 6 year course which skips O levels (sort of like the GCEs equivalent?) and goes directly to A levels. so unless they specifically ask for my year 4 end of year results (sort of equivalent to O levels hence GCEs?), i would have like no results to replace the UK GCEs :frown:
Reply 67
Original post by Metastasis
thing is, for singapore, we have this integrated programme thing which i am in. it's a 6 year course which skips O levels (sort of like the GCEs equivalent?) and goes directly to A levels. so unless they specifically ask for my year 4 end of year results (sort of equivalent to O levels hence GCEs?), i would have like no results to replace the UK GCEs :frown:

Oh you see, Canada doesnt even have a GCSE thing going on... nor A-Levels!!! I'm not sure if that just automatically puts me out of the equation, but I did contact them and they told me to send them my Year 11 transcript. They were extremely helpful! :biggrin:
Reply 68
Original post by as_94
I have a score between 56 and 58, I'm not sure what it is yet :frown:

For their GCSE requirements, do they count English lit and English language? And for science, do they count the double award, even if I did separate chemistry and physics? Because my score could be 27 for GCSEs, or it could be 29 :\

Yes this is exactly what I want to find out, are you going to call them? I've emailed them twice this week but no reply...
Reply 69
Original post by Cheddar
Yes this is exactly what I want to find out, are you going to call them? I've emailed them twice this week but no reply...

Hey, could you let me know what they say if you find out? Would be much appreciated :smile:
Reply 70
Original post by Erotas
Hey, could you let me know what they say if you find out? Would be much appreciated :smile:

I will yeah if i find the courage to call, I hate calling people I don't know:frown:
Reply 71
Original post by Cheddar

I don't think it matters that much. It won't affect my decision to apply there, 56 is still is a good score right?
Reply 72
Original post by as_94
I don't think it matters that much. It won't affect my decision to apply there, 56 is still is a good score right?

Yeah that's pretty damn good, I've only got 52 and that's the best case scenario, however I think I'll still apply to Leicester as my 'risky' option, I love it so much.
Reply 73
Can't believe I'm not already subscribed to this thread! :O But yeah, Leicester is one of my 'definite' choices :tongue: it managed to completely skip the 'definitely maybe' pile. ^-^
Reply 74
Original post by Erotas

I just called them and they weren't very clear, they just said that with regards to triple science, each subject would be scored individually, then just directed me to look at the website saying an A* is worth 5 points, A is 4 etc.

So I have no idea, maybe someone else should call, and phrase the question differently?
Original post by Cheddar
Yeah that's pretty damn good, I've only got 52 and that's the best case scenario, however I think I'll still apply to Leicester as my 'risky' option, I love it so much.

Snap! I think I have 52 aswell, if I've counted correctly! Comparing it to others on the thread it seems pretty low, uh-oh :tongue:
Does anyone know if they are going to have a cut off and then all the applicants above the cut off get an interview? :s-smilie:
Reply 77
Does anyone know if they are going to have a cut off and then all the applicants above the cut off get an interview? :s-smilie:

Theyll probably mark the personal statement out of 30, get a combined score out of 90 and use a cut off to interview people. They did a similar thing last year.
Reply 78
Snap! I think I have 52 aswell, if I've counted correctly! Comparing it to others on the thread it seems pretty low, uh-oh :tongue:

I know I'm really worried now but I would love to go to Leicester so I guess I don't mind taking a risk :/
Original post by hookguy
Theyll probably mark the personal statement out of 30, get a combined score out of 90 and use a cut off to interview people. They did a similar thing last year.

Ah okay, thanks for that! On the website scoring of applications document, it says that after the UKCAT + GCSE score is combined, the lowest scoring applicants won't be considered further.. so with regards to last year, as you say, would you be able to say roughly what you would need out of 60 to be considered further? Thanks!! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest