The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Oxford Graduate Applicants 2011/12

Scroll to see replies

I am trying to make a rough budget for the money I 'll need in Oxford. I would appreciate the help of those who have already been there :smile:
How much does a bike cost? A simple one, nothing extravagant, just to cycle around the city. I will also have to buy a helmet and a lock.
Also, my accommodation includes water and gas, but we'll have to pay for electricity. Is £10/month enough for that?
I will also need to buy the subfusc (no idea how much it costs), and I'm thinking £200/month for food? (I wouldn't want to resort to nothing than pasta)
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Original post by Melanthi
Tried to quote the previous message but for some reason deleted it :P
I really like you area of specialization. I adore latin! :smile:
Yes living in an island was great!

:smile: I like it too :tongue:
You have a beautiful name btw. Do you also have a tour around the Sackler and the Bod on Monday the 3rd of October? (It might be just for the Classics students, but as you are also at the faculty of Classics I was wondering if I'll see you there :smile: )
Original post by Xristina
I am trying to make a rough budget for the money I 'll need in Oxford. I would appreciate the help of those who have already been there :smile:
How much does a bike cost? A simple one, nothing extravagant, just to cycle around the city. I will also have to buy a helmet and a lock.
Also, my accommodation includes water and gas, but we'll have to pay for electricity. Is £10/month enough for that?
I will also need to buy the subfusc (no idea how much it costs), and I'm thinking £200/month for food? (I wouldn't want to resort to nothing than pasta)

i) £100?
ii) depends on what kind of space you're living in, and how many you're sharing with. i'd budget more (my houseshare we were probably paying £15-£20 depending on how much we were cooking etc)
iii) subfusc is about £40 or something? £200 is generous but not outrageous.
Original post by probably not
i) £100?
ii) depends on what kind of space you're living in, and how many you're sharing with. i'd budget more (my houseshare we were probably paying £15-£20 depending on how much we were cooking etc)
iii) subfusc is about £40 or something? £200 is generous but not outrageous.

shouldn't the last one be under iv)?? :p:D

Thank you very much, I will put 20 for electricity. I will be living with my bf so we ll be cooking for both of us etc but I'd rather make a generous budget than have no money left by the end of the month.
Reply 2744
:smile: I like it too :tongue:
You have a beautiful name btw. Do you also have a tour around the Sackler and the Bod on Monday the 3rd of October? (It might be just for the Classics students, but as you are also at the faculty of Classics I was wondering if I'll see you there :smile: )

Thanks..it's not my real name though :tongue: I haven't received the programme of events yet but I'll let you know as soon as I get it :smile:.
shouldn't the last one be under iv)?? :p:D

Thank you very much, I will put 20 for electricity. I will be living with my bf so we ll be cooking for both of us etc but I'd rather make a generous budget than have no money left by the end of the month.

If you look for a second hand bike, you could get a decent one for 50-60 pound (dailyinfo.co.uk is a good place to start). If you want a good new bike though, it could cost around 120-150 on average. While Cycle King on cowley is probably the most popular/biggest store for bikes, I would recommend some place like Halfords if you want to buy a new one.

200 a month for food for one person should be comfortable enough as long as you are cooking your own meals most of the time. If you like to eat out every once in a while too, you might want to budget another 50-100 pound per month.
Original post by Glennie
Bugger, bugger, bugger!

I got home from a boozy night out a few weeks ago to discover an email from my college with all of the graduate freshers' information. I filed it away under "things to read when I sober up" and thought no more of it.

Next day I got a call from a friend, asking whether I was up for a girlie weekend in Croatia in mid-October. The correct answer to this question is "hell yeah", so she went ahead and booked everything.

I finally got around to reading all of the info from my college today and it turns out that matriculation falls on the weekend of our trip away. The disappointment wouldn't hurt so much if this wasn't entirely my own fault!

So, who wants to reassure me that Croatia is rubbish and that I'd much rather be in subfusc than a swimsuit?

Croatia? More like CroLAMEtia, amirite?

There's plenty of time for lots of other awesome girlie trips away, there is only one time to dress like a nunnish schoolmarm and celebrate the commencement of what will hopefully be a fantastic year!
Original post by chochu444
If you look for a second hand bike, you could get a decent one for 50-60 pound (dailyinfo.co.uk is a good place to start). If you want a good new bike though, it could cost around 120-150 on average. While Cycle King on cowley is probably the most popular/biggest store for bikes, I would recommend some place like Halfords if you want to buy a new one.

200 a month for food for one person should be comfortable enough as long as you are cooking your own meals most of the time. If you like to eat out every once in a while too, you might want to budget another 50-100 pound per month.

Tbh I don't want anything too fancy. I remember seeing some new bikes at ASDA for like 80 but that was an offer I'll check dailyinfo as well. Where is Halfords?
Tbh I don't want anything too fancy. I remember seeing some new bikes at ASDA for like 80 but that was an offer I'll check dailyinfo as well. Where is Halfords?

Yeah, I recommended Halfords not because it's fancy but because their bikes are good and durable, whereas I have found cycle king not to be as reliable. In my opinion, it is worth spending 10-20 pound more to get a good bike, especially if you plan to use it regularly, because it can make all the difference. I would recommend getting a good old bike (if that's the only option) rather than a flimsy old one.

As regards Halfords, there's one in Botley Road, a few minutes West past the train station. I am sure you can google it easily should it interest you, and they usually do good deals online.
Original post by Athena
I would recommend getting a city/hybrid bike if you can (ie not giant mountain bike tyres and a heavy frame, but not racing style) as they are much nicer to ride in the long run.

Thanks for the advice both of you I don't know much about bikes tbh. I will check the shops in Oxford when I get there.
I'll be coming to Oxford from overseas later this month. I figure that it's best to save my limited baggage allowance for clothes. As such, I'll be buying some items when I arrive. Any suggestions on where to buy relatively inexpensive bedclothes and school supplies (notebooks, paper, etc.) in the city centre?
Primark is usually good and very cheap for all things home - I bought my bedding from there. Other places included Tesco (you can order online & they'll deliver), Next (also will deliver, there is a Next in town) and Argos (in the town centre but will deliver). Notebooks and paper probably WH Smith or Rymans.
Is tap water OK to drink in Oxford?
Actually, scratch that, I found the answer at several places on-line. Tap water seems to be OK all over the UK.
Original post by culture vulture
Actually, scratch that, I found the answer at several places on-line. Tap water seems to be OK all over the UK.

The UK is a first world country :tongue:
Reply 2755
Original post by ThaddeusAid
The UK is a first world country :tongue:

That doesn't mean anything. It was a fair question.
I'll be bringing my trusty Brita jug. Tea/coffee just isn't the same without it.
I've changed my username from my real name so that I can enjoy some anonymity.
Original post by Razorwire
I've changed my username from my real name so that I can enjoy some anonymity.

who were you before :tongue:?
Reply 2759
Original post by chochu444
who were you before :tongue:?

That's not a very difficult question to answer. It took me all of 30 seconds to figure out. Poor move on his part announcing that fact to the world.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending