Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by TenaciousMonkey
Depends on what your UMS/module grades were, I guess :/

Business & Economics: 99/100
Maths: 291/300
Physics: 275/300
Chemistry: 258/300
F Maths: 244/300 :frown: (feel I can do a lot better than this, though)
Original post by Harvo
Business & Economics: 99/100
Maths: 291/300
Physics: 275/300
Chemistry: 258/300
F Maths: 244/300 :frown: (feel I can do a lot better than this, though)

My school said Oxbridge were looking for 92%+ in the three most relevant AS Levels. Only your Maths is above 92% but your physics is pretty close. It'd probably be best to talk to your school about it... Imperial aren't quite as picky (so I've heard) but they said to me they'd likely check module grades. Shouldn't be a problem for you, with UMS like that :smile:

I'm no expert, but that's just my 10 pence worth ^.^
Reply 62
My school said Oxbridge were looking for 92%+ in the three most relevant AS Levels. Only your Maths is above 92% but your physics is pretty close. It'd probably be best to talk to your school about it... Imperial aren't quite as picky (so I've heard) but they said to me they'd likely check module grades. Shouldn't be a problem for you, with UMS like that :smile:

I'm no expert, but that's just my 10 pence worth ^.^

Ah, not getting much guidance on all this as my school don't usually have oxbridge applicants :smile: Thanks for your guidance, I'll probably have a look at the PAT tests before deciding whether it's worth applying. Cheers!
I'm looking at Oxford as my highest offer. Got 5 A's at AS, but I've heard conflicting opinions about whether Oxford look at AS modular marks. Mine weren't brilliant, but I know that I'm more than capable of achieving higher module marks at A2. Any feedback?
:woo:

Im applying for:

Cambridge (Christ's) - NatSci

Imperial - Physics with theoretical physics

UCL - Theoretical physics

UCL - Maths and physics

Can't decide. Not sure whether to go with Warwick (Maths and physics) or KCL (Theoretical physics). Any suggestions? :tongue:

Do you think applying for two (well, 3 including NatSci) different courses will have a negative impact? There are big overlaps in the courses themselves, and I really just want to do a lot of physics and a lot of maths.

IGCSEs were 5A*s and 4As.
Did 1 GCSE, got an A*
Lower sixth results were an A* (557/600) in maths, A (290/300) in physics and A (256/300) in chemistry. Taking a-level further maths next year too (and I'm being forced to take critical thinking, as if I wasn't going to have enough work! :frown:).

Looking to get my UCAS application sorted within the next week or so, just need my reference and to show my personal statement to my physics teacher (PS helper has checked it twice - use this service, these guys are amazing! :awesome:)
Original post by myfriendSQRT(-1)
I'm looking at Oxford as my highest offer. Got 5 A's at AS, but I've heard conflicting opinions about whether Oxford look at AS modular marks. Mine weren't brilliant, but I know that I'm more than capable of achieving higher module marks at A2. Any feedback?

Oxford doesn't check modular scores, only the overall grades; but, if you have very impressive UMS, you can ask for your referee to mention it (in their reference, of course). Cambridge on the other hand outright request them on the SAQ form they send you.
Username: matthew769
GCSEs: 7.5A* 2A
AS Levels + Marks: Biology 275/300
Chemistry 288/300
Maths 275/300
Physics 278/300
Currently considering: Oxford, Imperial, UCL, St Andrews, Durham, Warwick
Original post by Astronomical

Im applying for:

UCL - Maths and physics

Can't decide. Not sure whether to go with Warwick (Maths and physics) or KCL (Theoretical physics). Any suggestions? :tongue:

Do you think applying for two (well, 3 including NatSci) different courses will have a negative impact? There are big overlaps in the courses themselves, and I really just want to do a lot of physics and a lot of maths.

Did 1 GCSE, got an A*
Lower sixth results were an A* (557/600) in maths, A (290/300) in physics and A (256/300) in chemistry. Taking a-level further maths next year too (and I'm being forced to take critical thinking, as if I wasn't going to have enough work! :frown:).

Looking to get my UCAS application sorted within the next week or so, just need my reference and to show my personal statement to my physics teacher (PS helper has checked it twice - use this service, these guys are amazing! :awesome:)

OMG Warwick MMathPhys is a no-brainer! (it's going to be my 2nd choice after Phys NatSci at Caius :biggrin:) I live like 10mins away from Warwick and it's a great Campus & University. Don't underestimate any course there to do with maths; Wawrick's rep is immense (I know a Bulgarian IMO medalist that turned down Cam for Warwick). In the same position, I'm applying for 4 different-titled courses too (NatSci, Theoretical Physics, Physics with Theoretical Physics, Mathematics and Physics) and I can't see any problems because a personal statement, focused on physics, that includes some Maths achievements would suit any of those courses.

But yeah, Warwick's joint honors course is apparently very good (I've spoken to the students) so I'd advise you to apply. With your UMS scores, if Imp is going to be your 2nd choice, don't even bother stressing over the other choices because your chances of being rejected from both Cam and Imp look pretty slim.

What options will you pick for 1st year of NatSci if you get in? Did you write about Chemistry in your personal statement or did you keep it focused on physics? Whatcha doing to prepare for the interviews??

Im applying for:

UCL - Maths and physics

Did 1 GCSE, got an A*

Out of curiosity, how come NatSci and not Maths with Physics at Cambridge?
Oxford doesn't check modular scores, only the overall grades; but, if you have very impressive UMS, you can ask for your referee to mention it (in their reference, of course). Cambridge on the other hand outright request them on the SAQ form they send you.

Thanks so much! That's good news :smile:
Original post by Brutal Chav
OMG Warwick MMathPhys is a no-brainer! (it's going to be my 2nd choice after Phys NatSci at Caius :biggrin:) I live like 10mins away from Warwick and it's a great Campus & University. Don't underestimate any course there to do with maths; Wawrick's rep is immense (I know a Bulgarian IMO medalist that turned down Cam for Warwick). In the same position, I'm applying for 4 different-titled courses too (NatSci, Theoretical Physics, Physics with Theoretical Physics, Mathematics and Physics) and I can't see any problems because a personal statement, focused on physics, that includes some Maths achievements would suit any of those courses.

But yeah, Warwick's joint honors course is apparently very good (I've spoken to the students) so I'd advise you to apply. With your UMS scores, if Imp is going to be your 2nd choice, don't even bother stressing over the other choices because your chances of being rejected from both Cam and Imp look pretty slim.

What options will you pick for 1st year of NatSci if you get in? Did you write about Chemistry in your personal statement or did you keep it focused on physics? Whatcha doing to prepare for the interviews??

I think I'll apply for the Warwick course, then. I was leaning towards it anyway, the only thing giving me a headache was Coventry vs London really. :tongue:

I'd probably go with Physics, Materials and Chemistry, and then the standard Maths, although I'd love to have a shot at computer science, despite having no programming knowledge at all!

As par as my personal statement goes, it is undeniably physics-centric, and although I have quite a big paragraph about maths, much of it relates back to physics. I have a couple of lines about how chemistry and physics are closely linked, and mentioned some school chemistry competitions I won, but nothing major.

Interview preparation? I'm not entirely sure. :tongue: I'll probably just do some AEA maths exams or something, and I think we're going to have practice interviews at school for oxbridge and medicine people. Don't want to get too far ahead of myself, it could lead to mega-dissapointment!

Out of curiosity, how come NatSci and not Maths with Physics at Cambridge?

Good question. In fact, I was unsure myself until fairly recently. Supposing I do NatSci, then I can do some physics, and a bit of the other sciences, and some maths (which, in the unlikely case it is too easy, you can ask to "option B" which is more or less what the maths with physics guys do, I think). And of course, the TSA is far easier than STEP, and I wouldn't want to have such a massive part of my future riding on two exams; the amount of time I'd have to spend practicing STEP papers could well be detrimental to my A-levels as well.
Good question. In fact, I was unsure myself until fairly recently. Supposing I do NatSci, then I can do some physics, and a bit of the other sciences, and some maths (which, in the unlikely case it is too easy, you can ask to "option B" which is more or less what the maths with physics guys do, I think). And of course, the TSA is far easier than STEP, and I wouldn't want to have such a massive part of my future riding on two exams; the amount of time I'd have to spend practicing STEP papers could well be detrimental to my A-levels as well.

Ah, fair enough, makes sense. Good luck with it all!
Reply 72
Count me in guys although my grades aren't impressive so not sure is if it's worth applying to a top 20 uni.
Original post by The medjai
Count me in guys although my grades aren't impressive so not sure is if it's worth applying to a top 20 uni.

Whereabouts are you thinking of applying/what were your grades, if you don't mind my nosing? (I've added you to the list ^.^)
Reply 74
Whereabouts are you thinking of applying/what were your grades, if you don't mind my nosing? (I've added you to the list ^.^)

I was thinking about UCL for Astrophysics Bsc. I got Maths C, Physics C, Chemistry D, Computing -E:s-smilie: . I'm going to try for Queen Mary and other universities around that level.
I was thinking about UCL for Astrophysics Bsc. I got Maths C, Physics C, Chemistry D, Computing -E:s-smilie: . I'm going to try for Queen Mary and other universities around that level.

To be honest, that's not great :P But it's not awful, either. Quite possible for you to pull your grades up :smile: Good luck with your application!
Reply 76
To be honest, that's not great :P But it's not awful, either. Quite possible for you to pull your grades up :smile: Good luck with your application!

thanks man and good luck to you too:smile:

I think UCL are making an AAA offer. That's what they told me at their open day.
Reply 78
Username: JayReg
GCSE's: 7A*'s 3A's
AS Levels: Maths (A) Physics (A) Further Maths (X) Chemistry (A)
(All maths and physics modules 90+% apart from M1 at 89% :angry::tongue:)
A levels: Maths, Physics, Further Maths
Currently considering: Oxford, Durham, Manchester,Nottingham, Warwick, Bristol,

Does anyone have any opinions are the best places 5 to go from my list.
Reply 79
Original post by myfriendSQRT(-1)
I think UCL are making an AAA offer. That's what they told me at their open day.

AAA-AAB according to their website so yeah you're right.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending