Milton Keynes
Visit website

Open University Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 4280
Original post by DJTom
did you get in in the end?

I think i did, cant remember now, I'm on EMA time atm :wink:

Work have just put a ban on me doing uni work at my desk between calls - they haven't yet realised that I dont always need a pad and pen - I have the access I need to the OU site :biggrin:
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Visit website
Original post by vixki
whats this in, AA100??

tbf I'm not to fussed if I get a high pass or not, getting a 40 or a 84 is no different in the level 1 courses.

yep!
I just recieved my pack today from the OU :woo:

I am doing Molecules, Medicines and Drugs! :crazy:

Will be a great help with my A Levels. :awesome:

But I am not going back to the college which registered me for the course. I am going somewhere else. :erm:

and I have not yet recieved my username or password for the student hub :sad:
(edited 12 years ago)
Thanks guys! That's a great help, I'll get registered x
I can continue with the course! :woo:

and I got my details :crazy:

I am a uni student at 17 :smartass:
Reply 4285
Original post by Agent Smirnoff
I can continue with the course! :woo:

and I got my details :crazy:

I am a uni student at 17 :smartass:

It is almost like Christmas when your books arrive isn't it! :biggrin:

Love your avatar btw!
I just recieved my pack today from the OU :woo:

I am doing Molecules, Medicines and Drugs! :crazy:

Will be a great help with my A Levels. :awesome:

But I am not going back to the college which registered me for the course. I am going somewhere else. :erm:

and I have not yet recieved my username or password for the student hub :sad:

I'm doing that one now. Are you aiming for October or January finish? Also, from what I've already read, the first few chapters are basically the AS/A2 syllabus, so it'll be really useful to you. I really wish I'd done this one last summer on YASS, but I didn't have the time alongside work experience.

Just registered on Introducing Health Sciences (SDK125) yesterday, waiting for that one to go through.
Original post by gernumblies
I'm doing that one now. Are you aiming for October or January finish? Also, from what I've already read, the first few chapters are basically the AS/A2 syllabus, so it'll be really useful to you. I really wish I'd done this one last summer on YASS, but I didn't have the time alongside work experience.

Just registered on Introducing Health Sciences (SDK125) yesterday, waiting for that one to go through.

O'rly? :beard:

How do you find it. The start date was 1st September and I got my materials this afternoon , which strikes me as odd. :erm:

Bet you are playing with the Mollymods now eh? :teehee:

Good because I would appreciate something to make that A at Chemistry that little bit easier. Studying for Chem is a bitch! Especially when your aim is an A at AS and A* for Overall A Level.

:smile:

Introducing Health Care? What is that one like? Do you want a degree at the end and if so , which one? :smile:
Original post by MC2705
It is almost like Christmas when your books arrive isn't it! :biggrin:

Love your avatar btw!

It is! :crazy:

Given the fact that I was panicking about finding a College to redo my AS Levels ..... I forgot completely about it but thought I was gonna just settle for an OU degree straight off and skip A Levels.

So happy it all worked out in the end. I may just sneak the odd cheeky module in I suppose. :teehee:

I will just go on until I leave Sixth Form , whether or not it is explicitly YASS or not tbh. I do it not only for my career choice but the challenge, fun and experience to be honest. :smile:

Are you with the OU? What do you study/hope to achieve? :smile:

Thanks. He is cool and funky like me. :afro:
Original post by Nitebot
S104 has more books than I think I read for my whole degree at a brick college! :smile: Some tough looking science as well!

I'm doing this course too! Looked quite scary when all those books arrived at once!
Yep. I'm doing the Science practical course S155 as well. Glad I didn't pick a Maths course too though. There's plenty to learn as it is.
O'rly? :beard:

How do you find it. The start date was 1st September and I got my materials this afternoon , which strikes me as odd. :erm:

Bet you are playing with the Mollymods now eh? :teehee:

Good because I would appreciate something to make that A at Chemistry that little bit easier. Studying for Chem is a bitch! Especially when your aim is an A at AS and A* for Overall A Level.

:smile:

Introducing Health Care? What is that one like? Do you want a degree at the end and if so , which one? :smile:

It depends when you registered. If you registered right before the closing date, your materials wouldn't have been despatched until the start date or maybe even after that. All the instructions should be on the sheet that came with your book and molymods: if you sign onto your StudentHome, there will be a box with the module title in, with links like Module Website and Assessment. Go on module website, then there's a section with links titled EMA or assessment or something similar (there's also a Practice EMA link), and there should be the questions for both October and January on the page from the EMA link. (I hope that's what you meant by how do you find it. :redface: )

I'm liking it so far, mostly because I feel less like I'm sat at home doing nothing while everyone else is at college/uni, although I don't envy you doing A level Chemistry, I've done my share of A levels now, got the grades I needed! :tongue:

When the molymods arrived, it was like Christmas. :teehee: I haven't properly broken mine in yet, they're still really difficult to put together and take apart.

Introducing Health Sciences is the compulsory module for the Certificate in Health Sciences. It looked interesting, and I thought why not because I have a gap year to fill. There a few different modules I liked the look of, and they all would count towards the certificate so I'm going for it. (Not that I can get the CertHE because that's tied to an employer, but never mind. If I have time in future I could use the points from the certificate and do an Open CertHE for fun.)

I'm reapplying for Vet Med. I was going to ask what you're aiming for but I just checked from your profile. (Possibly army medic? I'm interested in army vet, but I need to get into uni first. :tongue:) Not all of the topics are directly related for me as they will be for you, but it's all public health and biochemistry and things so it's useful in the long run just for the concepts.
got a tma due on tuesday and ive barely started =/ eek.
really need to get organised otherwise a. ill fail my exam b. ill do bad in dd101 and c. i wont be able to start u213 in feb
Just received my books for B203 - Business Functions in Context. Now that is what I call a big pile of books, lol.

This will be my third OU course and I'm aiming for a BA (Hons) Business Studies.

I just wish the Module website would open already - still have to wait 2 weeks.
Reply 4293
Hello,

Can anyone explain to me how individual modules (OCAS and OES) are being graded? Above 85% for both OCAS and OES is a distinction. But where does 2:1 start?

Would be grateful for any help.
Reply 4294
Original post by Anya15
Hello,

Can anyone explain to me how individual modules (OCAS and OES) are being graded? Above 85% for both OCAS and OES is a distinction. But where does 2:1 start?

Would be grateful for any help.

Evening :smile:

Your final grade will be the lowest of the two. So distinction for OCAS and 2:2 for OES = 2:2 for example.

> = 85 a first
70 - 84 is a 2:1
55 - 69 is a 2:2
40-54 is a pass
< 40% is a fail

It's possible to be bumped up if you're a few percent off though.
Reply 4295
Thank you for your reply.
I know the classification you've just submitted :wink:Actually, that's why I am confused. Because when I use Assessment Calculator (StudentHome) to predict my results it says basically that if I get less than 70% on OES I'll get a grade 3. And according to the above classification that should be 2:2. It looks that:

> = 85 a first
70 -84 is just 2 (the calculator doesn't show 2:1 or 2:2)
69 - 54 is a 3
Reply 4296
I found this information: http://www3.open.ac.uk/assessment/ug/p4_5.asp

Most modules above Level 1 have four pass levels.

Pass 1 (distinction) 85 (OES) and 85 (OCAS)
Pass 2 70 and 70
Pass 3 55 and 55
Pass 4 40 and 40
Fail, entitled to resit* 15 and 40

So there is no distinction made between 2:1 and 2:2.
Reply 4297
Original post by Anya15
I found this information: http://www3.open.ac.uk/assessment/ug/p4_5.asp

Most modules above Level 1 have four pass levels.

Pass 1 (distinction) 85 (OES) and 85 (OCAS)
Pass 2 70 and 70
Pass 3 55 and 55
Pass 4 40 and 40
Fail, entitled to resit* 15 and 40

So there is no distinction made between 2:1 and 2:2.

Pass 2 is a 2:1 towards your final degree classification, pass 3 is a 2:2.

> = 85 a distinction/first (pass 1)
70 - 84 is a 2:1 (pass 2)
55 - 69 is a 2:2 (pass 3)
40-54 is a pass (pass 4)
< 40% is a fail (fail)

So, for your assessment calculator, if you score less than 70, it's correct that you will get a pass 3 aka 2:2 as you fall within the range of 55-69. :smile:

I have no idea why they use the pass # system. It's quite misleading.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4298
Thank you, Moggs.

Now I understand. You're right, it is misleading!

Have a nice evening.
Reply 4299
Original post by Moggs
I have no idea why they use the pass # system. It's quite misleading.

And mind boggling. At Manchester I was ecstatic if I got over 70%... but that's "just" a 2:1 for the OU :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest