The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mr Einstein
To be honest I don't see the difference between discriminating on looks and discriminating on race. You can help your looks to an extent, but really you are born with them just as with race. I respect the honesty of these companies but otherwise they need to open their minds.

I'm sick of the people with an intellectual advantage, and generally those who wish to flaunt it, dismissing people with a physical advantage. People work hard on their looks, most average girls could be seen as attractive if they got in shape and worked on their hair, make up and clothes. Even more so with average guys. Sure some girls are ridiculously genetically good looking, but the same is true of some genetically intelligent people. Like most things in life though, if you work hard you'll get the results you desire.
I ****ing hate Hollister.
Bull**** isn't it? Yet if I said I'm only hiring men because they produce a better output then women and the fact women normally don't have a clue unless it's food making, I'd have every women in the country screaming at me.
Original post by ShadowConspiracy
Bull**** isn't it? Yet if I said I'm only hiring men because they produce a better output then women and the fact women normally don't have a clue unless it's food making, I'd have every women in the country screaming at me.

Again. You could work on your image and change it. Unless you're truly ugly (In the bottom 20%) you could work there if you so pleased.

A woman will always be a woman. A black man will always be a black man. A gay man, bar horrible self conditioning, will always be a gay man.

Do you see the difference?
Original post by warwickorbristol
Again. You could work on your image and change it. Unless you're truly ugly (In the bottom 20%) you could work there if you so pleased.

A woman will always be a woman. A black man will always be a black man. A gay man, bar horrible self conditioning, will always be a gay man.

Do you see the difference?

Oh it doesn't bother me to be honest. I hate all that Hollister, Jack wills and all that faggot clothing line. I would rather live like a bum then work in one of those shops.

They claim it's quality, Yet I can find better quality when shopping in Selfridges.
Reply 65

and rightly so... lol
Reply 66
It's all *******s anyway
Original post by appletizer
and rightly so... lol

Not really.

If a man is better then the women (Most likely will be) then I'd hire him. Primarily for the fact I want a work force who is prepared to work, Rather then sit around discussing your marital problems and saturday night tv which is what women tend to do.
Oh it doesn't bother me to be honest. I hate all that Hollister, Jack wills and all that faggot clothing line. I would rather live like a bum then work in one of those shops.

They claim it's quality, Yet I can find better quality when shopping in Selfridges.

I don't particularly care either, I know someone who works there and she constantly complains about how bad it is.

I just get sick of "intelligent" people writing off "good looking" people's efforts while championing their own.
Original post by warwickorbristol
I'm sick of the people with an intellectual advantage, and generally those who wish to flaunt it, dismissing people with a physical advantage. People work hard on their looks, most average girls could be seen as attractive if they got in shape and worked on their hair, make up and clothes. Even more so with average guys. Sure some girls are ridiculously genetically good looking, but the same is true of some genetically intelligent people. Like most things in life though, if you work hard you'll get the results you desire.

haha, my username is ironic to anyone that knows me, don't assume I have a "Intellectual advantage". I never said I disapprove of what they do all I said is there was a thin line in basing employment hired on looks and race. Since all race is is a physical feature right? We're all remarkably similar on the inside.
Reply 70
I work in Hollister, and i wouldn't say i'm particularly good looking, alot of the people i work with are a bunch of idiots too. They wear it as a badge of honour. To me it's a job in a shop that gets me money.

The idiots i work with laude their job over everyone, honestly though, they'll never get anywhere. Academics is where it's at guys. The girls are skanks too, i'd never go out with one of those animals lol.

I'd much prefer a girl who can make me think than make me drool. (some drooling mabye). Either way, just go in as yourself if you do go for a job here, they look for 'natural people' supposedly, so just be that. Oh yeah and they do ask for a full length picture, which i thought was a bit weird.

Any questions guys, PM me :smile:
Reply 71
Original post by rubixcyoob
Actually, I doubt they don't think a larger person is 'unnatural', it's just like any modelling agency they have their own specific requirements for employees/models.

You wouldn't ever see a 5foot catwalk model because they need to be longer, just like you'd never see a 150lb catwalk model as they need to be skinny to act as a 'coathanger' per say.

You are just making assumptions based on something that, as a model yourself, you should know are basically the ground basics for entering such an industry, and it is not based on one person or company beliving in what is 'natural' or 'unnatural'.

Given that i'm perfectly within an industry standard size, agency signed etc, I can't see why my size would be an issue for them when it isn't for anyone else? (and i say this having booked work ahead of skinny girls on jobs that have included fashion as well as headshots/beauty work)

It just strikes me that they have this weird ideal, all their female models in the Newcastle store with one or two exceptions, are like 5'5 and one is chunky as hell. I don't wanna sound cocky but I'd do a better job, not because of my looks but because i'm actually a genuine, friendly person - some of them seem so forced and fake, however natural they look.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 72
I heard (I dont know how true this is) that a girl who worked in Hollister went in, one day, wearing one of those pink bows for breast cancer and she got told to take it off or they would discipline her because it wasn't part of their 'look policy'.
If this is true, fair enough it's not part of her uniform, but its for a good cause...
Original post by amandacalifornia
Yep, the last time I was in there the manager went up to me and asked me if I wanted a job. I didn't exactly have my resume taped onto my face. Plus when I worked at Abercrombie they admitted that it was company policy. It's called "look policy."

Why was this negged?

This is how a few of my friends now work for Hollister. They ask good-looking shoppers if they'd like to work there.
Reply 74
Original post by Kartace
I work in Hollister, and i wouldn't say i'm particularly good looking, alot of the people i work with are a bunch of idiots too.

I presume you wouldn't class yourself as an idiot then? :P
I recently visited the Hollister in WestQuay to buy my brother a t-shirt and we had to ask this guy about sizes... I swear to god he was so thick. I dont actually think he had his GCSE maths.
Never going in Hollister now! Would feel so ugly lol
Original post by Abi24
Given that i'm perfectly within an industry standard size, agency signed etc, I can't see why my size would be an issue for them when it isn't for anyone else? (and i say this having booked work ahead of skinny girls on jobs that have included fashion as well as headshots/beauty work)

It just strikes me that they have this weird ideal, all their female models in the Newcastle store with one or two exceptions, are like 5'5 and one is chunky as hell. I don't wanna sound cocky but I'd do a better job, not because of my looks but because i'm actually a genuine, friendly person - some of them seem so forced and fake, however natural they look.

You just said in your previous post you were considered a 'plus size' model - which means you are perfectly within one segement of the industries size.

You keep going on and on about how Hollister didn't hire you because your size. Get over it, no one really cares and you just seem to be bitter.
Original post by Jaydiee
I heard (I dont know how true this is) that a girl who worked in Hollister went in, one day, wearing one of those pink bows for breast cancer and she got told to take it off or they would discipline her because it wasn't part of their 'look policy'.
If this is true, fair enough it's not part of her uniform, but its for a good cause...

It was a poppy.
It's practically a part of our culture that in november you wear a poppy and she got told to remove it or she'd lose her job. Utterly disgusting.

My main issue with hollister is it's so damned dark in their shops that I can't actually see the clothes.
Reply 78
Original post by Jaydiee
I presume you wouldn't class yourself as an idiot then? :P
I recently visited the Hollister in WestQuay to buy my brother a t-shirt and we had to ask this guy about sizes... I swear to god he was so thick. I dont actually think he had his GCSE maths.

Nah I think i'm ok, i certainly have GCSE maths. Got a couple of A levels to back it up too. But yeah... some right plonkers in the stores, surely THAT cant be good for image right?
Reply 79
I wouldn't know, it's not like you can see them in the dark.

Latest