The Student Room Group

URGENT! think ive made a huge mistake with english lit AS

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by ssss
I am taking exactly those subjects and another AS (I'm in year 13 now) and with plenty of time organisation you will be fine! English lit seems like a struggle but once you have those basic concepts learnt it's really quite scientific. Don't waste your time in frees and I am sure you will be able to stick to your current subject combination! :biggrin:

How are you doing it?! Biology-there is a ton of material you need to know, and english :/ oh god :L what exam boar did you study?
Original post by mamma_mia123
Could i still be a barrister or pharmacist? If you have a high grade in gcse enflish lit, does it show you can write well?

History would probably be much better if you don't want to do english lit.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 22
Original post by malvika111
Yeah but the difference being (although you might want to check this with your exam board or school), you can take in any notes that you write in those 15 mins (on my board anyway), unlike the GCSEs where you couldn't write anything. You can practically read off those notes as long as you don't sound like you're reading. You go over a lot of the material with teachers beforehand, and they can give you a vague idea about what kind of questions they may ask you, and you'll be well-prepared for every separate topic. It's not formulaic like the GCSEs, where you have to make sure you throw in a conditional and subjunctive or whatever. You just need to know your vocab well, and be able to speak relatively fluidly.

French. No disrespect to RS- it's simply because so few people take modern langs nowadays, that there's a gap in the market. Statistically proven that the jobs requiring langs are higher-paid.

Edexcel?
I would say all essay subjects are fairly equally weighted so maybe stick with English- you obviously originally choose it because you enjoy it so maybe dont see all these books and essays as a "task"
Reply 24
Original post by Millyshyn
History would probably be much best if you don't want to do english lit.

Didnt do it at gcse :/
Which exam board? :smile:

I was on AQA, ended up with a C at A2 though despite getting B in 3 out of 4 modules and a C in the other :banghead:
Reply 26
Original post by Pheebs1201
I would say all essay subjects are fairly equally weighted so maybe stick with English- you obviously originally choose it because you enjoy it so maybe dont see all these books and essays as a "task"

The thjng is, i do enjoy it, its interesting, but i just dont think id do well in it, if you get me? I feel like i wouldnt get a very goos grade in it :/
Reply 27
How are you doing it?! Biology-there is a ton of material you need to know, and english :/ oh god :L what exam boar did you study?

I'm doing Edexcel biology, chemistry and maths and CIE (Cambridge international examinations which has crazy hard grade boundaries :frown:) English lit.
I think the main thing is not to get overwhelmed, sit back and look at the work you've got to do and take one step at a time. I'm assuming you'll have free periods so use them wisely! Start revising as soon as you've finished a topic in each of the sciences - make notes etc, this will put you in good stead for the rest of the course, especially when everyone else is panicking at exam time and you're already half-way there. English Lit wise, if you don't have to do it already, buy your own versions of the books you are doing. Mine are highlighted and annotated to bits but it's a great way of revising without falling asleep trying to read a book for the millionth time. I'm not naturally good at English lit but I get good RESULTS because I write essays the way my teacher tells me to! Essentially I am just pretending to be her!

I hope this helps :biggrin:
Reply 28
Original post by freakygirlhere
I was on AQA, ended up with a C at A2 though despite getting B in 3 out of 4 modules and a C in the other :banghead:

Aqa lit B? :P
Reply 29
Original post by ssss
I'm doing Edexcel biology, chemistry and maths and CIE (Cambridge international examinations which has crazy hard grade boundaries :frown:) English lit.
I think the main thing is not to get overwhelmed, sit back and look at the work you've got to do and take one step at a time. I'm assuming you'll have free periods so use them wisely! Start revising as soon as you've finished a topic in each of the sciences - make notes etc, this will put you in good stead for the rest of the course, especially when everyone else is panicking at exam time and you're already half-way there. English Lit wise, if you don't have to do it already, buy your own versions of the books you are doing. Mine are highlighted and annotated to bits but it's a great way of revising without falling asleep trying to read a book for the millionth time. I'm not naturally good at English lit but I get good RESULTS because I write essays the way my teacher tells me to! Essentially I am just pretending to be her!

I hope this helps :biggrin:

Thankyou, if you dont mind me asking, what grades are you on? :smile:
Original post by malvika111
It's not on the 'preferred list' for top universities, but then neither is philosophy and ethics. But they are extremely interesting, but contrary to popular opinion, it is very difficult to get a good grade in them. Yeah, without being biased as I took it, I'd say French. The essays are a maximum of 250-300 words (which doesn't even really count as an essay); universities love foreign languages as fewer and fewer students are choosing to take them; and (for me, at least) I didn't feel there was a huge jump from GCSE. I wouldn't say Geography could be a great fit with maths, biology and chem. My friends who took it, spent huge amounts of time on coursework and case-studies... With practicals and more frequent modular exams in Maths, I expect, you won't have a great deal of time as it is...

Source?
Didnt do it at gcse :/

So what? I didn't and got an A at AS.
Edexcel?

Mine was AQA or OCR, but having looked at the Edexcel specification, it doesn't seem vastly different. I'm not sure about taking the notes in so you might want to ask your teacher, but if I'm reading it correctly, you'll be examined on a topic area that you've chosen in advance from youth culture and concerns; lifestyle: health and fitness; the world around us, and education and employment. Section A of the exam will examine you using a stimulus on YOUR chosen area of interest, so you can narrow your focus down to that and revise one area really really well. Section B will also be related to this topic, but will move the focus away from the main stimulus and be more like a conversation.

Here's the link:
http://http://www.edexcel.com/migrationdocuments/GCE%20New%20GCE/UA024841%20GCE%20in%20French%20Iss2%20210510.pdf
Reply 33
Thankyou, if you dont mind me asking, what grades are you on? :smile:

In biology/maths/chemistry I'm on As predicted A*s and our Lit teacher is making us take all our exams (AS and A2) in June (ARGH) but I am predicted an A* :smile: Good luck no matter what you decide to do :biggrin:
Reply 34
Original post by Mr Inquisitive
So what? I didn't and got an A at AS.

No interest in it since yr 9
No interest in it since yr 9

Same here, but if you want to be a lawyer it's an excellent A-Level to have.
Reply 36
Original post by ssss
In biology/maths/chemistry I'm on As predicted A*s and our Lit teacher is making us take all our exams (AS and A2) in June (ARGH) but I am predicted an A* :smile: Good luck no matter what you decide to do :biggrin:

Well done! What did you get a gcse for english lit? Ans thankyou, ill need it! :P
The thjng is, i do enjoy it, its interesting, but i just dont think id do well in it, if you get me? I feel like i wouldnt get a very goos grade in it :/

hmm well you'd only need to take it to AS, drop it and take up a new AS alongside your A2s and then you'll have a bigger range of subjects. Plus if you're dissatisfied with your AS grade you can retake during your A2 year :smile:
Reply 38
Original post by Mr Inquisitive
Same here, but if you want to be a lawyer it's an excellent A-Level to have.

Wouldnt a language or RS subsitute for that fact?
Aqa lit B? :P

Yep, I studied Kite Runner, Othello, Great Gatsby and poetry (can't remember which poets) at AS. All I remember of the set texts at A2 were Bloody Chamber, Doctor Faustus and Wuthering Heights as we studied the gothic genre. For my A2 courseworks I chose to use Lolita, The Most Wanted, A Clockwork Orange and One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.

Quick Reply

Latest