The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1980
Original post by a moist feeling
It is unrepresentative, but every person with under 8 A*s who think they may just get in seem to always get rejected. It is far too much of coincidence!

If I'm not wrong, they lowered the requirements to 7 A*s this year as they are now putting more emphasis on AS Level results.

Read about it somewhere on the forums.
Original post by Vulpes
If I'm not wrong, they lowered the requirements to 7 A*s this year as they are now putting more emphasis on AS Level results.

Read about it somewhere on the forums.

I haven't seen anything about it but then again I'm no expert on Birmingham having never looked at it as a medical school. I am just aware of what goes on on TSR and am aware of the what it says on the websites.
Reply 1982
I haven't seen anything about it but then again I'm no expert on Birmingham having never looked at it as a medical school. I am just aware of what goes on on TSR and am aware of the what it says on the websites.

Birmingham have indeed changed their admissions this year and are placing some emphasis on A levels.

Quote from Austen Spruce "You are correct that we are moving away from a system where the most important factor in ranking applications was the number of A* grades at GCSE (though we still have a threshold of 7)."
i have called all the admissions officers and such but i was wondering if i could get responses from previous students or students applying this year on what unis are "out of my reach" as the entry criteria doesn't always determine how difficult it is to get into the uni and admissions officers aren't to keen on letting you know your chances :tongue:
Reply 1984
Hi!
Okay so I'm definitely applying for 2012 entry to medicine. But i'm not too sure where! I have 5A*s, 4A's and 2B's at GCSE. I got AABC (biology; maths; chemistry and economics, respectively). At, the moment I have been predicted A in biology and an A in maths for A2. Finding out what i'm predicted in Economics and Chemistry next week. I got an average of 615 in the UKCAT. I'm thinking of applying to the following:
1. Imperial or Liverpool
2. Leicester
3. Bristol
4. Brighton&Sussex
What do you think my chances are?
x
Hey people,

I am in a really uncertain position currently, and your advice would be valued.

Academically I lie in this position:
My GCSE's aren't the greatest: 3A*, 5A, 2B's, 1C (English Language, Maths and Sciences are all A or above - C in English Lit but I did my GCSE's 2 years after moving to this country - cut me some slack)
My AS's arent great either: A-Biology // A-Chemistry // A-Physics // A-Maths // A-Dutch Language
They might all be A's but they are really really low A's. And I mean it. 80% exactly upto 85% is the range I'd say lol. I'm sure I'd be able to maintain the A target for A2 if not the A*.
UKCAT I will be taking within 2 weeks probably..

Work experience:
2 weeks at London School of Pharmacy along side a professor.
2 weeks at an Integration and Cohesion Bureau helping immigrants set their first footsteps in the UK
4 weeks at Ealing Hospital at the Pathology lab working along side biochemists.

Volunteering:
48 hours with Muslim Aid charity to help those affected by poverty and famine.
Continues weekly NHS volunteering at local hospital patrolling wards, helping out those we need help with simple requirements
Started working at an elderly care home last week, also on weekly instalments.

Personal Statement remains untouched, i'll be starting on soon.

Currently I have sellected these Uni's to apply to but I would really appreciate some advice.
Barts / St Georges / East Anglia / Kings

P.S. I just want to enter Med School... I don't mind which uni, I'm in love with the subject itself. So are there any which are "easier" to get into even though it's still medicine?

Thanks!
(edited 12 years ago)
I don't know what you are getting at here really?

I'm just wondering if applying to Oxford, Imperial, Kings and Birmingham is a big risk :smile:
Original post by lesetoiles
I'm just wondering if applying to Oxford, Imperial, Kings and Birmingham is a big risk :smile:

Surely you can work it out? 2 BMATs is risky because you might flop it completely, but you have a good UKCAT and good GCSEs so will be fine at Kings and Birmingham. Depends on how you interview.

These questions are easily answered with the search function :facepalm:
I'm a reapplicant - applied in 2010 to start in 2011, but got 4 rejections, 2 pre-interview (Leeds and Sheffield) and 2 post-interview (King's and Cambridge).

Thinking of applying to Leeds again because I know their exact requirements and exactly what they think I did wrong on my PS. Anyone have ANY ideas as to which ones I could have a look at?!

My stats:

A2: A*AAA in Maths, F.Maths, Biology, Chemistry
AS: a in Latin, b in General Studies :biggrin:

GCSE: 9A*, 1A

UKCAT: 710 average, 2840 total

Work Experience: 3 days with consultants, 1 week in Step Into The NHS Programme (community health centre + 3 days in London)

Volunteering/Extra: 6 months in hospital, 2 years at Oxfam, 2 years helping at prep school

Hopefully I've also secured a job as a care assistant in a nursing home - having a CRB check done currently.

Thanks.
Original post by bahadur1
Just sat the UKCAT today in Kingston so was coming question where would I be suited with my academics. General Certificate of Secondary Education 8A* and 4A. Advanced Subsidary Levels: 4A (including: bio/chem/aqa maths/english lit). Predicted:3A (bio/chem/maths) UKCAT=630 average.
ATM, I am thinking of applying to 3 UKCAT and 1 BMAT but I would like to know what everyone else thinks especially if you too have a similar record. I know that Sheffield/Newcastle is out of the question, but I am looking at some others in particular: Brighton and Sussex/BARTS/St Georges/Nottingham/Kings/Brimingham/Bristol/Southampton.
Cheers

I'm going to sit my UKCAT in kingston and I was wondering if you could tell me if they have keyboards/touchscreens/physical calculators?
Original post by soulcrasher
I'm going to sit my UKCAT in kingston and I was wondering if you could tell me if they have keyboards/touchscreens/physical calculators?

UKCAT don't issue physical calculators anymore. Instead you're allowed to use the in-program calculator that you can preview in a mock test from the UKCAT website. You're allowed to use the keyboard with this calculator.
If you bring in a calculator yourself will you be allowed to bring it in to the exam room?
Reply 1992
Original post by eatpraylove
If you bring in a calculator yourself will you be allowed to bring it in to the exam room?

No you wont. You have to use the calculator provided / the on-screen calculator.
Original post by ram_patel
I got 637 UKCAT Score and 4A's at AS in Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Psychology, with 2A* and 1A prediction.

BUT for GCSEs I got 2A*s, 4As, 3B's and 1C (The C is in Design and Technology which I reckon does not help at all)

Where would you recommend I apply?

I would be so thankful if someone would help me!

Maybe in your research, try to find some uni's who don't seem to be GCSE-heavy and your UKCAT is around average, so maybe try to find some uni's who aren't UKCAT heavy either.. off the top of my head I can't think of such a uni', but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist.
Try ringing admissions tutors aswell if you need further help. Also this link may be useful to you: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_GCSE_Requirements

I hope this is somewhat useful.
Reply 1994
Original post by ram_patel
I got 637 UKCAT Score and 4A's at AS in Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Psychology, with 2A* and 1A prediction.

BUT for GCSEs I got 2A*s, 4As, 3B's and 1C (The C is in Design and Technology which I reckon does not help at all)

Where would you recommend I apply?

I would be so thankful if someone would help me!

Enter your academics here and it will tell you where you are eligible to apply: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1713208
Vulpes that's a great thread, thanks for the link!
Reply 1996
please help,

gcses 8.5 a* 3a 2 distinctions

as levels 5 a, maths f maths bio chem physics

a levels, dropping f maths

ukcat 657.5 average

loads of extra curricular, and a good variety of work experience,

i was thinking of oxford, nottingham, keele, and either edinburgh or liverpool, where would be best, and is there any others i should consider.

Original post by whilock
please help,

gcses 8.5 a* 3a 2 distinctions

as levels 5 a, maths f maths bio chem physics

a levels, dropping f maths

ukcat 657.5 average

loads of extra curricular, and a good variety of work experience,

i was thinking of oxford, nottingham, keele, and either edinburgh or liverpool, where would be best, and is there any others i should consider.

Obviously enough youre fine for any of those, youre very likely to get interviews. After the interview stage grades are irrelavent and regardless of where you apply you'll need a good personality or interview strategy/technique. Apply for the cities youd like to live in as youve ticked all the boxes to apply for most places provided you make the UKCAT cut off.
Hi I have a UKCAT score of 670 and 9A*s at GCSE. Where should I apply?!!
hi,

i have just graduated from liverpool university in biomedical sciences.this year i have been offered Mres which i am going to do, for next year, i want to apply for medicine. i am preparing for my UKCAT and going to take test on 13th of sept. please can somebody advice me on what uni. to choose.

where are my chances.

Latest

Trending

Trending