The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Jellybean91
Haha yeh i dont know what this thing they have against kettles is!! nahh I ditched that one... i figure if i'm worried he's gonna screw me over then i best not invest 360e into it! Theres plenty more where that came from :smile: And i swear to god in a month i'll not even be able to look at another slice of pizza!

Have you tried sorbets? They're amazing! :love: And as far as savoury food goes - and I know this sounds really sad - I'm on such a salad kick at the moment! I think I'm a bit in love with Italian tomatoes. So cliché, but so true!
Reply 41
haha sounds amazing... ive not had the chance to do anything like that yet... the mensa here is vileee... never been put off food more in my life! and i ate english halls food for a year!

Really? I'm disappointed on your behalf! :frown: My mensa on my year abroad was amaaazing (and so cheap!) and I've found an equally amazing café here just down the road from work.
Reply 42
Did you have a kitchen as well as mensa? nah the mensa here is worse than school dinners! sucks and i dislike eating there so i tend to grab a slice of pizza on the move for dinner instead... havent actually eaten anything today i just cant face it :yucky:

Yup. We had a kitchen in our halls, and then a mensa just down the road where you could either pay 8€, or buy a ticket for 2€ and show them your student card. :p: The mensa wasn't just ours, though. There were, like, real, non-student people in it. :eek: :p:
What's this mensa thing?
Original post by *Interrobang*
What's this mensa thing?

If its mensa as in the same as Germany then its like a cafeteria/canteen serving meals school dinner style, that anyone can go to and students get it cheaper.
Ohhh i didnt realise non student people could go!! :s-smilie: would explain the crazy lady I saw in there earlier!

Yeh thats the one! Really confused me when people first started talking about getting a mensa card, i was sat there like, god i hope they dont think I'm that clever :s-smilie:

The ones they have in Berlin were rather popular with some of my friends when they were travelling as it was a good way to get a really filling meal for a few euros.
Just realised I met the boy exactly three years ago tonight and we danced together :smile:

Katie, good luck with your interview!!
Thanks! :smile:
The mensa in Dresden was nasty :yucky:.
Reply 49
Original post by happydinosaur
If its mensa as in the same as Germany then its like a cafeteria/canteen serving meals school dinner style, that anyone can go to and students get it cheaper.

It seems I was lucky - the mensa near me was more like a restaurant than a canteen. The food was SO good!
Reply 50
Oh, yeah, boy arrives in an hour and a half. :love:
Morning! Local doctor's surgery are sending their manager over today to have a chat about services and things, hopefully get more support and I'll talk to them about sitting in on clinics and GP surgeries. Then got a day off tomorrow so getting my haircut and going shopping with my sister (10% off at matalan). Need to get a dress for Marc's friend's wedding reception next weekend - any idea what sort of thing I should wear for the reception??? I've only ever gone to full weddings before....

And then Marc's visiting at the weekend. He's waiting to hear back about the job that would mean him moving here and the end of our LDR (8 months so far, would make things easier not having the travel on my days off).
Posting to subscribe :h:
Reply 53
Original post by Antimatter

You're back :jumphug: Hows you?
Original post by Antimatter

Welcome back :smile:
Hello again everyone! I do keep coming out of hibernation!

I'm thinking of doing a masters right now. I cant quite get it into my head that this time next year i'll no longer be a student. I think im trying to hold on to my student status for as much as possible.

Hows everyone doing?

Me and Mark have nearly been together a year! How fast has that gone!!!
Wow congrats on the 1 year :smile:
Here I am! Busy busy and ill at the mo but don't want to disappear from the thread forever! :woo: on a new thread!xx
I know we have a couple of teachers on here, so let's here your guys opinions on this:

My brother is not exactly a model student. He's now in year 10, he's been in and out of trouble since day one, never done any homework, he just did not understand anything outside of science and maths no matter how much me and my mum tried to explain it to him (he has dyslexia and dyspraxia). Anyway, my mum went into a meeting with the school and decided to force homework upon him, and that was about 2 months ago. 95% of the time, he does it. Anyway, the day before yesterday he comes home with two detentions; one because he got less than 50% in his French vocab test and another because he did his Geography homework wrong. He came home upset because he said he tried and the Geography teacher mocked his work in front of the class and said "it wasn't good enough". He tried to go to his head of year who said he should have asked if he didn't understand the homework, but, obviously, he didn't know that he hadn't understood the teacher's instructions properly. My mum banned him from doing either and made her thoughts clear to the school, and the school still kept him behind.

Then my little sister came home upset saying that the same French teacher gave her a warning (just before they get detentions - bare in mind that she is a suck up at school, and above all, has only just started high school) because she had a ruler in her hand. Baring in mine the school told my mum that the school no longer did warning and this is why my brother got a straight detention for "doing his homework wrong".

I just wanted to know what you guys think. Me and my mum think they're being a bit power hungry, I mean, hundreds of kids must do their homework wrong all the time, surely this is not a punishable thing?
(edited 12 years ago)
Thats really harsh if hes actually tried. You can't punish someone because they didn't understand something, they should be taking some time to explain to him how to do it right next time!! :confused:

errrr punished for having a ruler in her hand???? Now thats reeeeally harsh! Is your mum gonna complain? I would!

She's trying, but the school just doesn't care. They just care about being "an outstanding school" and if my parents don't like it, they should send them somewhere else. I mean, you can't be good at everything, he's never going to get a string of As in his GCSEs, but it's like they're punishing him because he finds French hard and can't get his head around it. And of course doing the homework wrong. The sad thing is, he's actually trying to turn himself around, and although he'll never be the perfect student, he's trying to follow the rules and do his homework, but this just doesn't seem to be enough for them.
(edited 12 years ago)

Latest