The Student Room Group

Fast Stream 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by jennnny
I would love to go through the Fast Stream (like everyone else here) as I would love to do be involved in solving society's problems. I've started my application today (for the GSR scheme) and just finished the practice verbal and numerical tests. Sadly, I have done very badly on the latter as I have not done any maths or dealt with numbers since GCSE! I went over some practice tests available online but I'm worried these wouldn't be enough to prepare me for the real thing (especially with the added time pressure)! Is there anyone else who feels the same? What other ways could you do to prepare for it? and How much practice can one really do before one can say this isn't for me?

I'm pretty nervous about these aswell. I used sites such as SHL or Assessment Day to practice for it. I think I'll have a go at the practice tests this afternoon and see where I need to improve. Did you get any feedback, i.e, the corrections? I always find the verbal test a minefield because I tend to keep second guessing myself :s-smilie:
Reply 61
I'm applying to the Diplomatic FS, like almost everyone else, from the looks of it! I did fine in the Verbal Reasoning self-assessment, albeit slightly disappointing, but very well in the numerical one, which makes no sense to me since I haven't done any maths for 4 years and I'm doing law so should be rather good at verbal reasoning... Did anyone else think a lot of the questions were far too ambiguous?

Regardless, we'll see how it all goes. Where is everyone getting verbal reasoning practice from?
Reply 62
Original post by DougieG

Regardless, we'll see how it all goes. Where is everyone getting verbal reasoning practice from?

Clearly nobody wants to share this information. How very altruistic of you all...
Reply 63
Original post by jennnny
I would love to go through the Fast Stream (like everyone else here) as I would love to do be involved in solving society's problems. I've started my application today (for the GSR scheme) and just finished the practice verbal and numerical tests. Sadly, I have done very badly on the latter as I have not done any maths or dealt with numbers since GCSE! I went over some practice tests available online but I'm worried these wouldn't be enough to prepare me for the real thing (especially with the added time pressure)! Is there anyone else who feels the same? What other ways could you do to prepare for it? and How much practice can one really do before one can say this isn't for me?

I'm in the same boat, the numerical test was an actual nightmare!
Reply 64
I got in the upper 45% of people (I think that's what it said?!) for the practice verbal reasoning test... I was hoping to do better on that, if I'm honest, as I'm usually pretty good at things like that and finished well before the time was up, so even went back and checked most of my answers...

The practice numerical reasoning test was a nightmare! I felt very confident on a few questions, but because I haven't done any maths since 2005 it took me quite a long time to reach the answer on them, and I ended up running out of time and randomly clicking the last few answers. I was outside the top 45% and it said I'd probably fail if I took the real test. Oh dear.
Reply 65
Original post by DougieG

There are practice tests as part of the actual application, to prepare you for the real online tests...
Reply 66
I used to think the fast stream was my best bet for a job... better start looking at that ol' private sector :frown:
Reply 67
Original post by mimimimi
There are practice tests as part of the actual application, to prepare you for the real online tests...

I know, but it seems others are doing extra practice prior to applying. Oh well, it might be a bit hopeful to expect others to share...
Reply 68
hi, i'm also apply for the FS this. Just getting into CD is good enough for me! Got a quick question to ask. I've been told last year's time allocation was:

VR - 40Q's in 20min
NR - 20Q's in 25min
CQ - No time limit, dunno how many questions.

Also if possible does anyone know what percentile you have to be in inorder to progress? From what i've read it looks like the 85% percentile. Having read through some of the posts in previous yr's FS threads i've seen the CQ is important and can result in a failure if you don't do well. Whats the best approach to tackle the CQ, thats if the is a way. I've found VR to be the hardest and will be practicing this alot, if anyone knows any good methods, i'd be happy to know as would everyone else.
Reply 69
Original post by DougieG
I know, but it seems others are doing extra practice prior to applying. Oh well, it might be a bit hopeful to expect others to share...

In fairness it's only been a couple of hours since you asked - in my (stalking of last year's thread) experience everyone is very happy to share tips and ideas, but not everyone will be on the thread that often

Have you tried googling 'free online verbal reasoning tests'? That's where I'm getting most of my practise from. Some of them have slightly different formats but they all help you practise basically the same skills. Even the sites which want you to pay for tests usually have one or two free ones so that you can try them out before forking out ridiculous sums for the same thing you can get for free elsewhere. There are also loads of books you can buy with practise tests in them, although personally I'd rather save the money but it's an option.
Reply 70
Also, if I'm a member of a political party do I have to renounce that if I get the job or can I just carry on being a member but just can't go to events...
Reply 71
Original post by Hananiah
In fairness it's only been a couple of hours since you asked - in my (stalking of last year's thread) experience everyone is very happy to share tips and ideas, but not everyone will be on the thread that often

Have you tried googling 'free online verbal reasoning tests'? That's where I'm getting most of my practise from. Some of them have slightly different formats but they all help you practise basically the same skills. Even the sites which want you to pay for tests usually have one or two free ones so that you can try them out before forking out ridiculous sums for the same thing you can get for free elsewhere. There are also loads of books you can buy with practise tests in them, although personally I'd rather save the money but it's an option.

I know, I was only really half serious :smile:

Most of the online ones appear to be aimed at 11+ students, but I'll post any useful ones that I find...
Reply 72
Original post by DougieG
I know, I was only really half serious :smile:

Most of the online ones appear to be aimed at 11+ students, but I'll post any useful ones that I find...

I have always been terrible at detecting tone on the internet...

Really? The whole first page of google I found was full of them. I just put in 'free verbal reasoning test' and pretty much every hit was graduate level practise tests. Have you tried putting 'graduate' or 'jobs' into the search string? That should knock out the 11+ ones and give you more specific options.
Reply 73
I'm doing the GES so I didn't receive any feedback on what percentile range I would have scored in relation to other applications.

On the practice test I scored 65% in verbal reasoning (hate verbal reasoning) and 73% in the numerical test. What percentage are we expected to attain to pass each section in the real thing?

Really need to practice verbal as a couple of the questions seemed to be worded quite ambiguously. Numerical really took me by surprise to. Was expecting it to be a piece of cake but it was quite difficult!

Think I will try and find some practice tests and try the real thing Sunday morning after a good night's sleep.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 75
I just edited in a few links to some practice tests on the first post of the thread. I found them just by googling though and haven't done them yet so I don't know how good they are. Let me know if you find anything else or think there are other useful links that would be good to have in the OP.
Reply 76
Did the first practice tests last night and got in the top 15% for both, which I'm naturally delighted with. I'm not taking anything for granted though and I'm working on the assumption the second practice tests (which I'm going to do tonight) and real tests will be harder.

I've done a LOT of practice over the past couple of months (yes, I started thinking about this in June...) and I can recommend Numerical Guru and Assessment Day. You do have to pay for them but they're invaluable for making sure you understand how to work with percentages and ratios as well as giving you practice meeting tight time limits. Assessment Day is particularly brutal, with complicated questions and only 60 seconds for each!

I know both the numerical and verbal tests might seem a bit arbitrary, but the skills they require are skills you would use on a day-to-day basis in a policy related role so they're worthwhile learning in their own right.
Original post by DougieG

SHL wbsite and kent unis website do good numerical practice tests.

As a law student who hasn't done maths since GCSE I really need to practice my damn maths, it feels like the biggest hurdle to me!
Reply 78
I just did the numerical and verbal self-assessment tests, and I was within the top 15% on both... so that's a relief.
Reply 79
Original post by new_romantic

As a law student who hasn't done maths since GCSE I really need to practice my damn maths, it feels like the biggest hurdle to me!

Know the feeling - haven't done any maths in five years beyond very basic stuff and trying to remember how to work out percentages and things is a challenge! Just got to keep practising I guess, but I do wish I'd kept my mental maths muscles a little bit stronger!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending