The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Korean Studies 2012

I've spent about an hour literally going through these threads about Korean Studies at Sheffield, I'm currently writing my personal statement about it but they only do Korean at Sheffield and London, but my dad doesn't want me to go to London so really I'm only applying for the one at Sheffield.
Who else is planning for Korean, or ANY EA at Sheffield?!
It seems so lonely on these threads, not many doing it..
COME TO MEE

Scroll to see replies

I'm applying for 2012 Japanese and Korean, but I'm yet to decide which, and when I think I've made my mind up on one something always comes up which makes me go back to considering the other. Although I am playing with the idea of 'Korean Studies with Japanese'.

Out of the few that do any Japanese or Korean, Sheffield is the only university that I've particularly felt I actually want to go to, and I liked the look of it on the Open Day too, so I'm hedging all my bets on one uni. I've only put down History at SOAS and Asia Pacific Studies at Leeds just to fill up the last 2 spaces on UCAS. Although it's a shame most of the unis offering similar courses are in the North, because I live in Devon and the journey to Sheffield and back was horrible and expensive.

Threads about Korean do tend to be pretty dead, especially compared to the 'Japanese Studies 2011' thread.
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Reply 2
Yeah, Sheffield does look like a good uni, the open day in Summer was amazing, I really liked the atmosphere.
You think it's fine then that we're only applying for one Uni? My tutor seems to think it's fine. They do Korean Studies at London too, but it's AAB and London's like 5 hours away from me because I live in Manchester.
AT LEAST YOU REPLIED ^^;; I'm glad there's someone at least
Reply 3
don't you get 5 choices? why not apply for both?
Reply 4
I guess I could, but it's just that in my PS I've talked about the course at Sheffield. My dad doesn't see the point if I get accepted and I don't go to it.
What are you applying for then?
I'm pretty sure one of the entry requirements is Platinum 1vs1 in Starcraft ^^
Reply 6
I'm not applying for korean studies.. actually I'm applying for med :biggrin: but I saw this as one of the options on ucas and thought it sounded cool since I am currently in love with korea.. are you korean or oriental?
Reply 7
Do you think it looks better if you're applying for the same course at 2 different unis, like Sheffield and London? It's just that Sheffield is my first choice most definitely.
My personal statement is terrible at the moment too. I've just basically talked about Korea. I hope that's good enough, I even brought in a bit about the music too, but only lightly.
Reply 8
I'm English pahaha, but the course sounds amazing- I'm a bit of a korea fan *blushes*
Reply 9
bearing in mind the universities can't see your choices, it won't 'look better' necessarily.. but it might give you a backup just in case.. but if your going to put sheffield in your ps and stress that that's where you want to go and that's what you want to do then hopefully you won't need a backup :smile:
Reply 10
I hope you're right hehe, if I don't get in I'm basically going to do just take a year out and.. do anything 0-0
Are you using the whole 5 options?
Original post by taeace
Do you think it looks better if you're applying for the same course at 2 different unis, like Sheffield and London? It's just that Sheffield is my first choice most definitely.
My personal statement is terrible at the moment too. I've just basically talked about Korea. I hope that's good enough, I even brought in a bit about the music too, but only lightly.

My personal statement is basically a page detailing how I'm really interested in Asia and then a little bit about specific Korean and Japanese interests, and then some additional general stuff.
I have a similar plan as you, if I don't get in Sheffield I'm not entirely sure what I'll do and'll probably take a year out.

3 of my choices are for Sheffield: Korean Studies, Japanese Studies and East Asian Studies (although I might change that for Korean Studies with Japanese). I also might change my SOAS option to Contemporary Chinese Studies at Nottingham, because if I don't get in to Sheffield I definitely won't get in SOAS considering it has higher requirements. But my predicted grades are AAA, and after I resit one of my History exams and after my English is remarked (there was a serious problem with the marking of English for my school, people have went from Us to Bs after the remark) it is realistic enough that I'll have AAA at AS, so I just have to carry that on to A2, and then hopefully it'll be easy enough to get in. The real challenge for me is finally making a decision about which of the three courses I want to do.

Original post by Pwn4g3_P13
I'm pretty sure one of the entry requirements is Platinum 1vs1 in Starcraft ^^

Well that's a shame. By PC is too rubbish to run Starcraft even though I want to try it out, so I guess that's my chances out the window ;_;
Reply 12
your only allowed to put 4 med choices but I might put an extra choice for biomed :smile: good luck by the way! hope you get in!!
Reply 13
Original post by ZombieYoshi
My personal statement is basically a page detailing how I'm really interested in Asia and then a little bit about specific Korean and Japanese interests, and then some additional general stuff.
I have a similar plan as you, if I don't get in Sheffield I'm not entirely sure what I'll do and'll probably take a year out.

3 of my choices are for Sheffield: Korean Studies, Japanese Studies and East Asian Studies (although I might change that for Korean Studies with Japanese). I also might change my SOAS option to Contemporary Chinese Studies at Nottingham, because if I don't get in to Sheffield I definitely won't get in SOAS considering it has higher requirements. But my predicted grades are AAA, and after I resit one of my History exams and after my English is remarked (there was a serious problem with the marking of English for my school, people have went from Us to Bs after the remark) it is realistic enough that I'll have AAA at AS, so I just have to carry that on to A2, and then hopefully it'll be easy enough to get in. The real challenge for me is finally making a decision about which of the three courses I want to do.

Well that's a shame. By PC is too rubbish to run Starcraft even though I want to try it out, so I guess that's my chances out the window ;_;

woah, AAA? :O They should definitely accept you in Sheffield then, seeing as it's ABB for Korean ^^ I'm predicted AAB, I'm just worried that I'll do worse in my actual exams and then they won't accept me ;________;
Hmm woah so those 3? I guess it must be hard choosing, as soon as I saw the Korean course I was like 'YES!' and I don't want to do anything else.
Reply 14
Original post by Mandy92
your only allowed to put 4 med choices but I might put an extra choice for biomed :smile: good luck by the way! hope you get in!!

awh I know some of my friends want to do med, good luck too! You have to have a really good personal statement though *eugh*
Original post by taeace
woah, AAA? :O They should definitely accept you in Sheffield then, seeing as it's ABB for Korean ^^ I'm predicted AAB, I'm just worried that I'll do worse in my actual exams and then they won't accept me ;________;
Hmm woah so those 3? I guess it must be hard choosing, as soon as I saw the Korean course I was like 'YES!' and I don't want to do anything else.

Well I'm confident of getting an offer, but whether or not I actually get AAA is an entirely different matter, so I'm still a bit worried. My AS results were ABBC, but the C was in the badly marked English (which I'm yet to get the remark grade from) and the B can be made an A just by doing slightly better on the resit. My A was quite frankly a fluke (I was getting Ds and Es in that subject all year) so I'm not particularly full of confidence with that subject either.

Well Korea is new to me, I was originally interested in Japanese (anime and all that), but Korea intrigued me as well, and I've gotten around to watching a couple dramas and getting some music and I've gotten just as interested in Korea as Japan, I also like the Hangeul writing system, especially compared to that damn Kanji. My main problem is that Japanese Studies seems to have quite a reputation for being really hard, yet I'm not sure if a Korean Studies degree would be as valuable as a Japanese Studies degree, considering Korea isn't one of those big economic powerhouses and such. And for Korean Studies with Japanese I'm just not sure if I can cope with two languages, and if I could even get a place because there seems to be less places for dual honours degrees, but that way I still get to learn Japanese, I just don't get to spend a year there.

Oh well, I still have time to decide... and I'm sure I'll flip back and forth between Korean and Japanese several more times before I finally decide.
Reply 16
Well I'm confident of getting an offer, but whether or not I actually get AAA is an entirely different matter, so I'm still a bit worried. My AS results were ABBC, but the C was in the badly marked English (which I'm yet to get the remark grade from) and the B can be made an A just by doing slightly better on the resit. My A was quite frankly a fluke (I was getting Ds and Es in that subject all year) so I'm not particularly full of confidence with that subject either.

Well Korea is new to me, I was originally interested in Japanese (anime and all that), but Korea intrigued me as well, and I've gotten around to watching a couple dramas and getting some music and I've gotten just as interested in Korea as Japan, I also like the Hangeul writing system, especially compared to that damn Kanji. My main problem is that Japanese Studies seems to have quite a reputation for being really hard, yet I'm not sure if a Korean Studies degree would be as valuable as a Japanese Studies degree, considering Korea isn't one of those big economic powerhouses and such. And for Korean Studies with Japanese I'm just not sure if I can cope with two languages, and if I could even get a place because there seems to be less places for dual honours degrees, but that way I still get to learn Japanese, I just don't get to spend a year there.

Oh well, I still have time to decide... and I'm sure I'll flip back and forth between Korean and Japanese several more times before I finally decide.

woah that's like the complete opposite to me! ;___; I got ABBCD (D in general studies, the C in Classics which I am retaking) but hopefully my grades this year will bring it all up. I've always been interested in Korea, gaah the dramas and music! Huuge fan. Do you have any favourites? And aish I know, Kanji seems so difficult, partly the reason why I'm not even thinking about applying for Japanese. T_T You're right though, 2 languages would be worse. My dad says that it's best to do something at uni you are really interested in instead of something you are good at, because the interest you have in the subject will make you like it all more.
Original post by taeace
woah that's like the complete opposite to me! ;___; I got ABBCD (D in general studies, the C in Classics which I am retaking) but hopefully my grades this year will bring it all up. I've always been interested in Korea, gaah the dramas and music! Huuge fan. Do you have any favourites? And aish I know, Kanji seems so difficult, partly the reason why I'm not even thinking about applying for Japanese. T_T You're right though, 2 languages would be worse. My dad says that it's best to do something at uni you are really interested in instead of something you are good at, because the interest you have in the subject will make you like it all more.

Classics? You do Classics too!?!?! Finally someone else! Classics is what I absolutely fluked the A in, but that's because Athenian Democracy is incredibly dull, but this year it's all crazy Emperors!
Well the only dramas I've seen are 'Super Rookie' and 'Sorry, I Love You' (I also have '49 Days' downloaded and ready to watch some time) and the only music I have is Super Junior, Girls' Generation and U-KISS. I liked both the dramas and the music isn't too bad either, so things are promising :3

The Korean Studies with Japanese course seems to only have Japanese in years 3 and 4, and I imagine it won't be at the level of the Japanese Studies course, so I'm not sure, I may be able to cope with both.

Oh, I also got a B in General Studies, and seeing as Sheffield seems to accept it for quite a few courses that may make things slightly easier... although I don't actually know if they accept it for East Asian Studies courses...
Reply 18
Classics? You do Classics too!?!?! Finally someone else! Classics is what I absolutely fluked the A in, but that's because Athenian Democracy is incredibly dull, but this year it's all crazy Emperors!
Well the only dramas I've seen are 'Super Rookie' and 'Sorry, I Love You' (I also have '49 Days' downloaded and ready to watch some time) and the only music I have is Super Junior, Girls' Generation and U-KISS. I liked both the dramas and the music isn't too bad either, so things are promising :3

The Korean Studies with Japanese course seems to only have Japanese in years 3 and 4, and I imagine it won't be at the level of the Japanese Studies course, so I'm not sure, I may be able to cope with both.

Oh, I also got a B in General Studies, and seeing as Sheffield seems to accept it for quite a few courses that may make things slightly easier... although I don't actually know if they accept it for East Asian Studies courses...

HERBFHEVRF YES I DO CLASSICS!! Hahaha, there's not many people doing it is there? Ah now you see, in all the homework essays I kept getting A's T_T and then when it came to the 1st module exam on women in Athens I got a C, and I was predicted an A so I resat it and got a B. But then it was the 2nd module exam, the town and architecture. I got a D. ouch. Which brought me to a C, so I'm the redoing the 2nd module and hoping I get a B so it brings it up ;______;
I can't bring myself to watch 49 days. I cannot. It breaks my heart to be honest. I've watched the more 'happy' ones like Boys Over Flowers and You're Beautiful. Super Junior *dies*, I'm more of a SHINee fan though, but I love Su-Ju so much.
Now that's what I was hoping not to hear. I'm terrible when it comes to General studies... I thought I had done great in the exam and came out with a D. I was going to do an EPQ on Korea, but *sigh* I couldn't get onto it. ;____;
Reply 19
I really want to do Korean Studies at Sheffield. I've been fascinated about the culture, country, language for 3 years.
But i've kept it a secret from my family. Ah, they less than open-minded about other cultures and languages (White power and all that shizz) I wonder if anyone else has this problem, and how they approached this subject with thier own parents.

Also, I'm rather stuck about my personal statement too. Sheffield is my first choice but if I get rejected I want to do a completely different subject at a different university. Any ideas on how I can balance my personal statement?

If anyone else is applying for this course, I'd love to hear from you and get talking. It would be good to go through this together for the moral support. ^-^

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending