The Student Room Group

Too embarrassed to go to the gym...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
If you have the coin hire a personal trainer for the first couple times your go. Having someone there with you will help you feel less anxious (I find anyways), and they will be able to show you how to use all the equipment correctly so that when you go by yourself you have some direction and look like you know what you are doing. If you can't afford it, ask a friend to go with you. Moral support does wonders.
OP, just man up and get in the gym - most people couldn't give less of a **** and are just in there to get their workout done
the only people I judge in the gym are the people not giving it 100%
walking on the treadmill? why bother, you dont need a gym membership for that! :P (fair enough if you're new to jogging and getting your breath back)
Reply 22
This is going to be long due to quoting and replying. Sorry!!

Original post by H.JJJ
press ups, sit ups, jumping jacks, running up and down the stairs, jogging in corridors, jogging on the spot, stretches, curling bags of potatoes/rice, forward rolls along the carpet...

But no, join a gym! You shouldn't really give a **** what others think.

I already do this, mainly because my uni house is three stories and so I live in the roof. But there is only so far these steps can take me isn't there...? I mean, I wouldn't be able to gain any real value from just doing those things alone, would I?

Original post by TheQuietOne
If you're going to the gym, then whether people judge you or not, they can't deny the fact that you're there at the gym and working out to change yourself for the better. That's more admirable than sitting around worrying and not changing things at all. If people look down on you for being unfit or fat, just think to yourself, "Who cares?! I'm here to change that and a few judgemental people won't stop me."

Yes gyms are often full of 'beautiful people' but sitting around being sad about it won't help change anything. Think less, just do.

EDIT: I think I sound rather harsh here...sorry I didn't mean to be. It came out like the kind of mental talk I give myself when my social anxiety gets bad...not sure how to phrase it any differently hehehe.

No, no! You didn't sound harsh at all!

The bit in bold, I'd never realy thought of it like that :redface:

Original post by Teaddict
Just go to the gym... if people judge you for trying to get fit and healthy then they are morons who deserve an all expenses pain vacation to the surface of the sun.

Lol :teehee:
Shame I can't send them there really!

Original post by Vikki1805
People go to the gym, to lose weight and keep fit.
You won't be judged.
If you were over weight and sitting around doing nothing about it, people may judge.
But if anyone in a gym judges you for being over weight and trying to do something about it, they are very immature and not worth your time or thoughts.
If not, then just go walking/jogging.
Or exercise at home: Push ups, sit ups, dancing, star jumps, jogging on the spot... any movement is exercise!

Good luck. :smile:

I'd never thought of it like that (bit in bold). I hate jogging and running. It comes with being unfit and having big boobs :sad: But the push ups and sit ups are a good idea, thank you :smile:

Original post by pongalo
The gym isn't full of beautiful of people. If you feel self consious (my spelling is awful) go at a quiet time, i've found the middle of the week, mid day is quiet as well as the last hour of it being open especially a sunday. If you can get a 'gym buddy' as they'll keep your mind off other people :smile:

*conscious :redface:
Do you think it will be quiet around three-ish?
My uni's freshers doesn't start until next week, so I guess I could just go today, tomorrow and Saturday to get used to it, and it will probably still be quietish, won't it? :unsure:

Original post by iammichealjackson
I'm hate gyms... I would recomend going running at night if you want no cars to see you :P If you get a sports app on your smartphone of choice, it can count how many calories you burn as you run. Running is alot better than going to the gym, especially if you only have 20/30 mins...

I don't have a smart phone, it was stolen. Bad times. I also hate running as I've said somewhere above. I used to cycle everywhere, but then some chavs chucked a glass bottle at me as they were speeding down a road and I've been scared of it ever since. Not to mention I think there is still glass in my back tire as I have changed it three times and it still gets flat after a few cycles... (Sorry, this turned into outwards thinking).

Original post by Currrrtisssss
You've made a very common mistake about gyms so don't worry.

Who will you find inside a football stadium on matchdays? Who will you find next to a lake or a pond with a massive stick? (and don't say stalkers and rapists). Who will you find at a museum?

The answer to all of those are simple to asking who will you find in a gym. In a gym you'll find people that want to improve themselves. No one that has ever stepped foot in a gym was born there. Everyone has a first day lifting/running. Everyone had to go through the same thing you'll do when you walk into that gym.

I can honestly say in a gym no one gives a **** if your fat/thin or whatever. The fact that your there, your making that effort is enough to prove to anyone worth your time that you blend right in in the gym. Everywhere in life you'll get a dixkhead now and then but you have something in common with everyone else in there. Your there to change yourself!

The sooner you start the sooner you realise the gym can be actually one of the best places ever!

You could try going at a quiet time (mid afternoons, Sunday's etc in my gym) to get used to it and get that initial confidence. But basically get your iPod on and get in there. Look at all the girls that you can see have tons of make up on and lol to yourself. Be their for yourself and not what other people think. Your the one that lives and goes home with your body (I wish I did too mind :wink: )

Find your motivation and go!! Have a search for beautifulgrace on bodyspace ( part of bodybuilding.com) and go from there.

Hope this helps and I havent blabbled too much

You wish you were going home with my body and a massive stick?! :sexface: :p:

But no, seriously, I had never thought of the fact that they'd all had their first day at some point too. But then if it is anything like driving a car, they will soon forget about that and curse the ones with the L plates!

I really want to get into the gym, but I am just so scared of going. It's like gym-phobia or something! I am sure there is a real thing...

Thank you :smile: It has really helped.

Original post by Chinese_Toilet
people are surprisingly friendly in gym (not in a creepy way). weight lifters are good people. avoid creepy boys and girls that stare.

Haha! If anyone stares at me in the gym I will definitely freak out!

Original post by Zander5
1. No one cares what you are doing
2. work on your self confidence

1. Probably true...
2. You've also probably hit the nail on the head, it's just how I go about working on that.

Original post by boba
I'm in completely the same position as you except yesterday when I was packing I packed my exercise clothes and decided I would go for it. Whats the worst that can happen?

You packed for uni you mean?
The worst that can happen, is open humiliation. I'm a negative person and so I've thought about many negative possibilities, its the positive ones I am having trouble thinking about.

Original post by OMG TOOTHBRUSH
There was a really fat guy at my gym earlier today. Do you want to know what I thought? I though fair play to him for exercising and making an effort to get into shape. If anything I admired him and seeing him working out hard made me feel happy.

I don't anyone will judge you for being unfit seeing as you would be at a gym, obviously making an effort to get fit. The kind of people who would judge you are the kind of people whose opinions don't matter, **** them.

:redface: Good on him :cute:

This is a true-isum. I guess, if they are judging me, they are probably massive pr***s anyway.

Original post by ankaya
If you have the coin hire a personal trainer for the first couple times your go. Having someone there with you will help you feel less anxious (I find anyways), and they will be able to show you how to use all the equipment correctly so that when you go by yourself you have some direction and look like you know what you are doing. If you can't afford it, ask a friend to go with you. Moral support does wonders.

Good idea, I will go today and see how it goes. When I am there I will look into how much that would cost. Thanks :redface:

-------------------

Sorry that was so long, and thank you to everyone for their advice! :redface:
(edited 12 years ago)
In my experience most people in the gym are there to get sweaty and then go home they don't stand there looking at everyone laughing at people doing the same as they are, that doesn't make sense !!
Reply 24
Original post by Magic Dust
As the title says, I am too embarrassed to go to the gym. I am worried that people will look at me and think I am really fat, or judge me for being unfit. This is heightened by the fact it is the uni gym and full of beautiful people :sad:

Any advice?

:lolwut:

What gym do you go to?

Might have to pay a visit
I know exactly how you feel.

When I started at the gym I was really overweight (see sig) and could barley run or do much in the gym. It was embarassing but I knew that some day I would be a lot more fitter, slimer and more self-confident about going to the gym. Now after nearly a year I am now able to run a lot longer than some the skinner girls in the gym and also look a lot better.

You have to start somewhere and if you really want this you have to ignore everybody else in the gym and have the mindset that one day you will no longer be overweight and embarassed to go to the gym. Also not everybody who goes to the gym is slim and fit and will also be in the same position with you. Plus once you go once you realise that there is no reason to be nervous and give you more confidence to keep coming back.

Also I notice that some of the slimmer people may look very fit but can barley do anything in the gym and you may find out that you are much more fitter than some of the slimmer people
As many of the others have said, I've seen lots of overweight people at the gym whilst I've been there, and I've never thought badly of them- it's good to see that they want to change their lives for the better.

Go for it! Good luck x
Running is brilliant - try the couch to 5k scheme. You may not see weight loss results immediately, but you will feel so good (I'm overweight, and nearly finished it). The reason I mention it is that you can choose where to run, even in a city, and the fresh air is much healthier than a gym. Plus, you won't see the same people.

In terms of being self-conscious, I think all you can do is ignore people. I used to hate people watching me, but the truth is they probably didn't even notice. If I see anyone exercising I just think good for them. As posters have already mentioned, you are there to change your lifestyle. Get some sort of training plan (there are plenty free on the internet), and stick to it.

Good luck! :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
As the title says, I am too embarrassed to go to the gym. I am worried that people will look at me and think I am really fat, or judge me for being unfit. This is heightened by the fact it is the uni gym and full of beautiful people :sad:

Any advice?

Yeah, go to the gym.
Reply 29
good diet + going for a jog will be sure to slim you down! =]
Don't let that put you off, get into your zone and concentrate on your workout. **** what others think.

I was like that, I thought I looked like the elephant in the room, but when I started to focus on what I was doing, I really didn't care anymore.

How bad do you want it?

Any advice?

ignore the,, they're strangers to you, do their opinion matter? no! just go to the gym, and after a while you'll do well!
Reply 33
The people I'm most impressed by are the ones who used to be overweight and did something about it. People won't judge you for trying to do something about it and if they do then they're insecure themselves.
Reply 34

Any advice?

Fat people who come to my gym and really wear themselves out get a lot of respect.
Reply 35
Yeah but I bet you're not too embarrassed to stuff your face with food in a restaurant or eatery. :rolleyes:

Time you stopped giving a **** what people think and started getting healthy!
everyone ends up looking like **** when going to the gym anyway, people wont pay any attention to you, theyll either be too worried how they look or too in to their excercise.
At most I smirk inwardly at people who obviously haven't done their homework and doing a ****ty workout. Other than that, if you're fat, thin or weak, I won't judge you since you're actually trying to improve yourself.
Reply 38
The opposite for me, I'm bare skinny but don't actually care about what people will think, I'll even humour them by picking up the smallest lightest weights I can find and pretending they are really difficult for me, when I only start finding it difficult come the 3rd lightest ones.

Actually I probably spend more time in the gym doing stupid **** for my own amusement than working out, probably why I haven't put on any weight since going.
Original post by Vikki1805
People go to the gym, to lose weight and keep fit.

you dont sayyyy

Quick Reply

Latest