The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

How does the Official Practice Test 3 fair up against the real test?

I struggled to complete all the DA questions, as it gave us 28 seconds compared to 71 seconds normally. But my scores for each were:

VR = 8/12 QR = 9/12 AR = 14/15 DA = 6/11

This was an easy practice test, but how does it compare to real especially VR and QR which I am worried about most :smile:

Thanks
Reply 8781
Hello everyone! I'm a Portuguese guy that is hopefully getting into Medicine somewhere in the Uk in 2012, but first I will have to take the UKCAT for some colleges. This website has helped me quite a lot in some doubts and insight, but I'm still struggling in the downloadable practice test on the official UKCAT website. I'm doing fine at Abstract Reasoning and Decision making (only single digit number of wrong ones), but Verbal and , especially, Quantitative Reasoning are still quite hard for me. I would just like to know, from your experience, if the questions presented in the practice test are as hard as in the real test, or should I panic a little less?

Thanks in advance to anyone that helps me! Portuguese people are known to have some success in the Uk, at least in the pitch :biggrin:
Reply 8782
i am reakky struggling with this 600q book, im getting like half marks, is this usual?
Is the real exam way harder?
So my UKCAT is tomorrow!! :frown: And I still can't do QR and AR... Can anyone explain these to me? (Picture should be attached... Hopefully!)
Reply 8784
Original post by Quackers93
Last year I got 632.5 but this year I jumped up to 715 :smile:

I'm applying to St. Andrews, Glasgow, Cardiff and Manchester :smile:

well done! what did you do differently this year?
Reply 8785
Original post by UKDOG
Lancaster don't use UKCAT

Is Liverpool Medicine and Lancaster Medicine the same thing?

I'm going to apply to Liverpool medicine program but the Lancaster program says it's based at Liverpool.

So do I pick lancaster as a separate choice on UCAS? How does it work?
Reply 8786
Original post by Quackers93
Thanks :h: I used "how to master the ukcat", "Passing the ukcat and bmat" and the 600Q.

I used the 600Q book cover to cover, and the rest mainly for AR and QR questions. They were both crappy for DA. And I just didn't use them for VR cause i'd given up hope on it haha. I'm proof though that practice helps, last year I did next to nothing for prep, but this year I did so much more and it helped. I went from 600 in AR to 860... and St. Andrews claimed my ukcat was unlikely to change :rolleyes:

haha! Quackers 1-0 St Andrews; I have those books too, so should i just used how to master... and passing the... for AR and QR?
Original post by SirMuffin

So my UKCAT is tomorrow!! :frown: And I still can't do QR and AR... Can anyone explain these to me? (Picture should be attached... Hopefully!)

I know that only triangles and equilaterals appears throughout set A and another two shapes in set B in the first one, no idea about the rest!

Oh the arrows one... Set A, for closed shape the number of up arrows is one less than the edges, but for open ones it's two less. For set B, the opposite basically. One more down arrow for closed shapes, open shapes - same number of arrows.
But that seems too complicated am I just over thinking!?
Is the decision analysis in the 600 ukcat questions book easier than the real test? I finished the mock in less than required time and got 21/26. Thanks in advance.
Reply 8790
Original post by .eXe
Is Liverpool Medicine and Lancaster Medicine the same thing?

I'm going to apply to Liverpool medicine program but the Lancaster program says it's based at Liverpool.

So do I pick lancaster as a separate choice on UCAS? How does it work?

Apply through Liverpool, different code.

Lpool make it explicit that you can apply to both.
Reply 8791
The real test is typically always harder. I speak from experience so I can't really objectively back this statement up.
Just did mine this afternoon! Compared to OPT2, VR and QR were both much easier, but AR was exactly the same difficulty and DA was harder. Anyways my breakdown is:
VR: 700 QR: 710 AR: 600 DA: 610
Avg 655

Which universities don't really put much weighting on the UKCAT? I've narrowed it down to Leicester, Manchester, HYMS, UEA, Keele, Leeds, Peninsula, St George's and BSMS.
And is it worth applying to King's? I got 7A* 4A B at GCSE and that's the only school so far that I've genuinely loved. Kinda gutted as it seems a bit out of reach now.

Good luck to everyone who hasn't done it yet! I think it was my nerves more than anything that got me so just go in with a level head and you'll be fine! x
Hey guyys, really need some help at the moment. I don't know what to do with myself or my life right now. Just done my ukcat and got an average of 650.

470---verbal reasoning
630----abstract reasoning
700----quantitative reasoning
800 ----decision analysis

I wanted to apply to Manchester but i don't know whether my ukcat is high enough.
Does anyone know what uni's would consider me. I'm still doing research but some help would be really appreciated. I'm so depressed at the moment:confused::frown:

GCSE's --- 6A* 2A's 3Bs
AS Level -- AAAB
A level prediction -- A*A*A*A
Reply 8794

I think I have pattern for the two sets (A+B) on the right:

Top:
Both set A+B have 5 shapes with same arrangement (4 corners+one shape in centre of box). Set A all have a rhombus and a triangle, set B all have a diamond and a cross.

Below:
Set A: Number of sides of enclosed shape is equal to number of upward pointing arrows + 1
Number of lines in non-enclosed shape is equal to number of upward pointing arrows + 2

Set B: number of sides of enclosed shape is equal to number of downward pointing arrows + 1, and number of lines in non-enclosed shapes is equal to number of downward pointing arrows.

Do you think this is correct??
Anybody else been having problems with Emedica?! :/
Reply 8796
please tell me QR in 600 is imposible to do in under a minute :angry:
Original post by rohitbd
Wow well done can I ask how long you revised for?

Edit: why the hell did i get negged?

Original post by Weezy_F
well done! what did you do differently this year?

To be perfectly honest the real difference with this year was that I actually properly practiced :P Last year I did next to nothing - 2/3hours very max. But I learnt my lesson and this year I did 15hours+ practice (I did some before I started recording my revision, but I can't remember how much)... So practice helps! :tongue:

Original post by Weezy_F
haha! Quackers 1-0 St Andrews; I have those books too, so should i just used how to master... and passing the... for AR and QR?

Erm it's up to you really. I think I used the how to master for VR a little, bit I prefered the 600Q (and tbh I just gave up on VR cause I found it really hard so thought I'd improve elsewhere to make up for it). And I felt the DA just wasn't similar enough and did nothing for me. But that's just me. There are probably laods of people who found them more useful and didn't just give up :tongue: Give them a go and then decide :smile: and anyways if you run out of material, they're always there :smile:
Reply 8798
I know most people have probably done their UKCATs by now, but I just thought I'd post for anyone still practising. I made a video on the UKCAT soo you can check it out if you want. Its there to help after all! Click the 'medicine applications blog' in my signature :smile:
Original post by Dr.Galaxy99
Anybody else been having problems with Emedica?! :/

It just won't load the sign in page :frown: Good job I have medify :wink: :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending