The Student Room Group

2011/12 A2 Music Tech

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I would DEFINITELY beatmap fully if you have time. Echo beach was horrific for tempo changes, and within 2 hours it was completey beatmapped. And now life is easy! Give me a shout if you need a hand with how to beat map properly (with transients etc).

Cheers

Original post by Rosiegsm
Cars is crazy with all the tempo changes! I'm using Logic as a DAW and I think i'm just going to enter it by ear as I've found a rough tempo that fits at the beginning, so I'll just have to go from there :l

I love the Martha song, but I think Cars will be so much easier to do
Reply 21
Original post by Wiz29

Both tracks need beat mapping, Echo Beach more so in my opinion but as a starting tempo 163.8 BPM is pretty good. For Cars I hear that a good starting tempo is 129-131 BPM roughly.

Thank you very much for your advice. I'll have a go at doing that later, and hope I get a bit further on!
Original post by Wiz29
For Cars I hear that a good starting tempo is 129-131 BPM roughly.

I got 128 exactly. Then again my audio file was from the MoS Electronic 80's so it was probably done already. What's the best way to map? I heard ableton's best with that kinda stuff... or maybe map it on traktor then export the tempo file?
Reply 23
Original post by XMaramena
I got 128 exactly. Then again my audio file was from the MoS Electronic 80's so it was probably done already. What's the best way to map? I heard ableton's best with that kinda stuff... or maybe map it on traktor then export the tempo file?

Best software I used for beat mapping has been Logic, if you dont know how to use it I can try to find or write a tutorial for you on how to do this. It really does make life that much easier once it's done.
Reply 24
Original post by Wiz29
Best software I used for beat mapping has been Logic, if you dont know how to use it I can try to find or write a tutorial for you on how to do this. It really does make life that much easier once it's done.

Please could you write a tutorial for Logic?
Reply 25
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqS1UX51teQ

here's a good tutorial on beatmapping. this song obviously wasn't recorded with a click track so the tempo shifts throughout the song
Original post by Wiz29

Ahh. All our computers are Windows. We've got Cubase, FL Studio, Reason, Pro Tools 8 (M-Powered) and on one computer, Ableton Live.
All the sequencing tasks this year have live drummers rather than drum machines or click track recording. I suspect this is because it is hard to award marks for tempo shaping (which is in the mark scheme) if, like Colourless Colour and Knock On Wood they don't change at all.

For Cubase:

Import the audio; trim the start

Project>Add Track>Tempo

Set tempo editing to Ramp

by listening and looking at the peaks (very clear mostly) adjust the tempo up and down so that the beats match the Cubase grid.

As was said above, it takes about two hours but then it's job done. Working 'free' in seconds rather than bars and beats will make editing much harder.
I've nearly finished a score for Cars; will post it soon.
Here's my Cars score. I'll start a 'Scores' thread and put all the scores on there as I do them.
I've just spotted a mistake in my score but it's not worth redoing all the graphics and putting them into Word. It's just that the handclap/snare keeps up the two in a bar all through the repeats at the end - I didn't copy it enough times.
Reply 30
Has anyone got any hints/tips or a score for Echo Beach? Would be a lifesaver! Finding this year quite difficult.
Reply 31
Anyone got any hints/tips for Echo Beach? thanks for the tempo marking. I'm using Cubase so sounds generally aren't that good. Any advice anyone?
Anyone got an Echo Beach score?
It's coming!
Reply 34
Has anyone managed to find the score for echo beach yet? Would certainly come in handy!! :smile:
What are everyones choices for recording? It was so hard to choose because we had to include 4 orchestral instruments, Ive settled for Kashmir by Led Zeppelin with Strings and Brass
Is anyone else doing the Hackers composition?
Original post by Lauraaa345
Has anyone managed to find the score for echo beach yet? Would certainly come in handy!! :smile:

"Echo Beach" is done. Check out my Scores thread.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=34693896#post34693896
Reply 38
does anyone know what synth to use in reason for that flutey thing in the verses? its getting right on my nerves!!
Reply 39
Has anybody managed to find any good synths for Echo Beach? Really struggling on a few of them...I'm using logic pro and would be very grateful for any help! x

Quick Reply

Latest