University of Warwick
Coventry

Official Warwick Economics Q&A Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by zaina94
Hi again,

Were you able to find out about this today? :smile:
My question was regarding GCSE equivalents, just thought I'd mention it again since you've gotten so many questions since!

Thanks!

yes! I did ask at the meeting!

The response was that we would take into account GCSE equivalents as part of an academic profile, but that the main focus, at that level, would be on the GCSE results.

As such, you should put them down on your application, but be aware that they do not have the same level of impact as the GCSE performance.
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Original post by University of Warwick
In terms of "making it up" for not studying Economics at A-Level, as I mentioned before, we do not require applicants to study Economics A-Level, nor have a preference for it in excess of any other strong A-Level, so you don't need to make it up to us in that sense.

We do, however, look for a passion for Economics in the personal statement, so we'd be keen for you to discuss this, regardless of the A-Levels you are doing.

Right, thanks :smile:
Also, do you know if Warwick count FM and maths as two separate ones, because if they do, I will be taking 4 A levels, and will therefore be exempt from the AAAa entry thing.
Reply 62
Original post by stefl14
In my personal statement I have presented my views on the Conservatives' spending cuts. Specifically, I said I believe they are being implemented too quickly and explained why using past data. If the admissions tutor disagrees would this be problematic for me?

Part of the point about degree level economics is that we teach tools of objective research and analysis, not subjective opinion, so as long as your points are well constructed, and your method of analysis correct, then you are free to talk about whatever you want.

You'll see at the degree level that, as long as I agree with your assumptions and methodology, I can't disagree with the conclusion you draw from it.
Reply 63
Original post by youngeN
The thing is during that gap year I took some GCSE's. Three to be precise. I'm not sure if it will be counted as a gap year as i was in FT education retaking these three qualifications as I hadn't done well in Maths GCSE the year before (Y11) to be precise and I couldn't get onto A-Levels without it.

How much of a problem will this be?

Left HS (Y11) with a D in Maths GCSE. Re-took the year after and ended up with an A*. (This was the only qualification holding me back from getting onto A-Levels after I had finished Y11.

If it's more to do with a retake than the gap year itself, I'd email [email protected] , and explain your situation, and ask how that would impact your application. Central Admissions have more specific info about the implications of GCSE retakes than I do unfortunately.
Reply 64
Original post by Groat
Will Warwick ever consider doing a sandwich course (year in industry)?

I am very pleased to hear the offer has decreased for those with Further Maths!

You mention the turnaround is quicker - do you expect to give offers to strong candidates before the new year?

I don't think we will be doing a dedicated sandwich course, but all applicants are welcome to arrange their own "year in industry" and, as long as their personal tutor agrees, they can take a temporary withdrawal from the course to do this.

I would hope we give out offers as soon as possible, but I can't put a time frame on it unfortunately. The sooner you apply the sooner we will get back to you however!
Reply 65
Original post by Tomatochuckers
Right, thanks :smile:
Also, do you know if Warwick count FM and maths as two separate ones, because if they do, I will be taking 4 A levels, and will therefore be exempt from the AAAa entry thing.

Yes, Maths and Further Maths are two separate courses.
Reply 66
I don't think we will be doing a dedicated sandwich course, but all applicants are welcome to arrange their own "year in industry" and, as long as their personal tutor agrees, they can take a temporary withdrawal from the course to do this.

I would hope we give out offers as soon as possible, but I can't put a time frame on it unfortunately. The sooner you apply the sooner we will get back to you however!

Ah, okay! Hopefully my application will be with you soon. :u:

Also, you mentioned previously about stating strong UMS in your personal statement. Don't you think it's a bit more modest coming from the reference? That's what I was advised by my school, so my personal statement includes no indication of my AS results. :s-smilie:
Reply 67
yes! I did ask at the meeting!

The response was that we would take into account GCSE equivalents as part of an academic profile, but that the main focus, at that level, would be on the GCSE results.

As such, you should put them down on your application, but be aware that they do not have the same level of impact as the GCSE performance.

I understand, I wish my school had told us back when we picked our GCSEs that some wouldn't be considered very highly as a qualification, for universities anyway.

It's just a shame since my GCSEs would be considered "low" on top of that, I got 2A*s (4A*s if ICT is included) 4As and 2Bs. Reading the previous replies, I'll definately try to get my referee to include some contextual information, as my GCSEs were well above average at my secondary school, and I've done considerably better at AS.

Also I have another question. I did AS Economics early, and decided carry on at A2 last year, so I've completed the A Level and I got an A*. Would this A* mean i could be offered an AAB place? (if I were lucky enough to be made an offer of course ha) I just wasn't sure whether this is only the case for A Level Maths, since it is compulsory (and reading a previous post). Also a lot of my school teachers have said universities will make offers with grades I have to achieve in my current subjects, and not reduce offers based on what I have already achieved. (I'm doing 3 other A2s currently, and an AS in further maths)

I'm predicted high enough in my other subjects, I'm just unsure whether my economics grade will be taken into account.

Thanks again!
Reply 68

Some other universities ask for UMS scores to be put into the UCAS form when applying for economics, so UMS will be available on the form (in the module grades of A-levels), will Warwick consider UMS marks if they are given when reviewing an applicant?
Original post by Groat

Also, you mentioned previously about stating strong UMS in your personal statement. Don't you think it's a bit more modest coming from the reference? That's what I was advised by my school, so my personal statement includes no indication of my AS results. :s-smilie:

Put it in your PS. To make yourself come across as more modest reflect on the 2/3 UMS that you failed to achieve and say how you can improve yourself , rather than focusing on the 97 that you did manage to get.
Reply 70
Put it in your PS. To make yourself come across as more modest reflect on the 2/3 UMS that you failed to achieve and say how you can improve yourself , rather than focusing on the 97 that you did manage to get.

Don't you think that comes across as a bit arrogant? Unless this isn't what you were thinking of: I must work harder to achieve the last few percentage points in my exams.
Reply 71

Why would you spend precious characters talking about your exam results when they are already on the UCAS form and your reference can mention them from an objective perspective?
Original post by Groat
Don't you think that comes across as a bit arrogant? Unless this isn't what you were thinking of: I must work harder to achieve the last few percentage points in my exams.

I was not being serious. Do not mention it man as you got loads of space elsewhere to. Use the PS to sell your interest and competence for economics. If ur grades are high, they will know you are academically able

(sorry did not mean competent, meant academically able)
(edited 12 years ago)
Hi,
if you are predicted to complete a minimum of 4 A2 levels (excluding General Studies and Critical Thinking), your offer will be A* A A B. This will include the maths A level you have already obtained, so you will only need A A B in your remaining 3 A2 subjects.

Great news!

Thanks! :biggrin:
Original post by Tateco
Why would you spend precious characters talking about your exam results when they are already on the UCAS form and your reference can mention them from an objective perspective?

Because the unis cannot get enough of my blistering UMS in crticial thinking (80) The more I mention it, the more I will impress them
Reply 75

I think it's good to see a commitment to academic study, so if you are taking more AS/A2 levels than we require, then that's great, and will help your application. If this comes at the cost of performing worse in your exams, however, then that's clearly not a good thing, and we'd rather you focus in on performing very well in a smaller range.

In some situations, if we think you are taking some subjects to get easy passes (such as a natural french linguist taking french), then we will make you the standard offer, but exclude certain subjects from being a part of that offer, in the same way we do General Studies and Critical Thinking.

As for Further Maths, no, it is not essential by any means for us (I mention in my notes that we'd consider it a strong subject, but not above any others), but I'm aware that other universities consider it more important, from an application standpoint, than we do.

Thanks for your advice, it's a bit disheartening to hear you discount me as a 'linguist' when I only learned English ten years ago! But to discount me as a linguist, you can't discount German, since that's completely different to English, right? Anyway, good to hear some real feedback, much appreciated.
Reply 76
Hi.
At GCSE I underperformed as was only able to acheive A* AAAA BBBB CCCC (A in maths and english lit.)

This was a real wake up call for me and I decided to be more focused on my studies. I acheived AAAA at AS and have an A*A*A prediction.

How much of a disadvantage would my GCSE's be and would it be worth using one of my 5 choices for Warick if I have a very slim chance of being made an offer?
Reply 77
Hi Stephen,

Thanks for your time in helping us out;I have a few questions if you don't mind.

1. Will post A level students who are taking a gap year be at an advantage provided their A levels are above the standard offer? So If I have 2/3A*'s in respectable A levels will I be more likely to get an offer?

2. If someone applies who had previously applied last year and been rejected would you know? Would it come up on your system that this applicant was previously rejected? If yes, would you read his old personal statement and reference? How would you treat such an applicant?

3. If I want to get all of my UMS scores in every exam to you, would the admissions tutor at Warwick mind if in the UCAS form, instead of choosing your grades from the drop down box, you put the grades along with the UMS in the "other" box next to it?

4. Are post A level students with stellar A levels but pathetic GCSE's going to get a relatively quicker offer than everyone else provided they send their application of early (mid October).

Thanks, I am sure your time is much appreciated by us all.
(edited 12 years ago)
Hi, how disadvantaged would a student on a gap year and retaking exams be?

I got AAB but was very close to A*AA and so will be retaking two exams to achieve A*AA. I will also be taking up Economics A2 (after dropping the AS at year 12) and be predicted an A* due to achieving 90%+ in AS. My subjects are all "hard" subjects, being Maths, Chemistry and Biology.
Another uni said that the Economics a level will be considered as normal since I will be doing the A2 exams in the required one year, first time. Does this also apply to Warwick?

My GCSEs aren't really up to standard to Econ at Warwick either, being A*A*A*A*AAAAB....

So taking into account my sub-par GCSEs and my two exam retakes, but also my A*A*AA prediction (Maths, Economics, Biology, Chemistry respectively) and having a great personal statement/reference, do you think I would be too weighed down by my disadvantages to receive an offer for the course?

I know it's hard to say atm and it's all subjective to other applicants, but surely you can give some sort of opinion or info?
Reply 79
Original post by Groat

I have no problem with someone telling me why they will be a good student, and why their academic record is exceptional, especially in the subjects I really care about. It's personal choice, but I don't have a problem with it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending