The Student Room Group

Dentistry Reapplicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
for those people who didnt get any offers last year, is it better to reapply to unis we applied to last year or does it not make a big difference?
Reply 61
Original post by hkn123

Original post by hkn123
have you booked your ukcat yet? from this list of dates it says that the last date to register was 23rd sept unless applying for a bursary i think.. http://www.ukcat.ac.uk/pages/details.aspx?page=keyDatesInformation good luck whenever it is :smile:

whaaaat??!!! :O
Reply 62
:confused:
Original post by conjepense

for those people who didnt get any offers last year, is it better to reapply to unis we applied to last year or does it not make a big difference?

would you happen to know if applying to the same unis again, would using the same personal statement result in the system detecting it as plagiarism, or would that be ok

also, do the unis applied to previously give feedback as to the scoring of your personal statement

cheers
Reply 63
Original post by Maz89

would you happen to know if applying to the same unis again, would using the same personal statement result in the system detecting it as plagiarism, or would that be ok

also, do the unis applied to previously give feedback as to the scoring of your personal statement

cheers

Regardless of whether you apply to the same universities or not, if you submitted the exact same personal statement when reapplying, UCAS would probably pick it up as self plagiarism. Surely you will have done more things over the extra year before reapplying and changing the 'tenses' etc. It's better to change at least some of it and not submit the exact same personal statement.
Reply 64
To you guys who know about sending off the ukcat...
You don't have to put it in ucas right? cos pearson sends it off don't they ?
Reply 65
Original post by Maz89

Original post by Maz89

cheers

no i realy dont think using same personal statement again is plagiarism... firstly kings said to me to keep my personal statement and rest of my application the same when reapplying to them this year (i was put on waiting list last year) because i passed that stage.. also i have been told nothing about it being plagiarism from my school or anyone else. First I have ever heard of it. Plus, it can't be plagiarism because you are not copying other sources this is your own source! its up to you if u want to change it or not- makes no difference to the unis? unless they rejected u because of something to do with your personal statement (in which you would find out from their feedback) in which case the obvious thing to do would be to improve it but if not as far as i know its 100 percent ok to use the same one. I am, iv juust included gap year stuff and improved it here and there.

imnot sure about the feedback thing, i think if you ask them they'd tell you specifically where it was you lost out... but im really not sure about that sorry :s-smilie:
Reply 66
Original post by kubs
To you guys who know about sending off the ukcat...
You don't have to put it in ucas right? cos pearson sends it off don't they ?

From the UKCAT webiste:

Your University Choices

After the UCAS application deadline has passed (15th October 2011), UKCAT liaises with UCAS and obtains from then information regarding the Consortium Universities you have applied to. We then communicate your test result directly to your chosen Universities. You do not need to pass your test result to your Universities yourself.

For clarity we do not and cannot pass your mark onto any Universities outside the Consortium. If you choose to give the universities your scores, please remember that they would not know how to judge a UKCAT result since they would not have the UKCAT results of other candidates with which to compare it.

How Consortium universities use the results varies. However all Consortium members use the UKCAT result as part of a well-rounded admissions policy in which other factors, including GCSE and A-level examinations, your personal statement, your school/college report and interviews (if applicable) are considered. To find out more about how each University uses the test then you will need to consult their websites and/or prospectuses. It is important you consider this information in the light of your test result to avoid wasting UCAS applications.

http://www.ukcat.ac.uk/pages/details.aspx?page=unichoises
Reply 67
no i realy dont think using same personal statement again is plagiarism... firstly kings said to me to keep my personal statement and rest of my application the same when reapplying to them this year (i was put on waiting list last year) because i passed that stage.. also i have been told nothing about it being plagiarism from my school or anyone else. First I have ever heard of it. Plus, it can't be plagiarism because you are not copying other sources this is your own source! its up to you if u want to change it or not- makes no difference to the unis? unless they rejected u because of something to do with your personal statement (in which you would find out from their feedback) in which case the obvious thing to do would be to improve it but if not as far as i know its 100 percent ok to use the same one. I am, iv juust included gap year stuff and improved it here and there.

imnot sure about the feedback thing, i think if you ask them they'd tell you specifically where it was you lost out... but im really not sure about that sorry :s-smilie:

You do realise you can self-plagiarise and actually get into trouble for it whilst at university (or anywhere else)?

For example the majority of universities in the UK use a software called ''Turn It In'' which checks documents for plagiarism. Everything submitted through this software is stored for life and is cross-checked with every new document submitted. It checks online sources, books, courseworks, journals, research papers ... you name it. Over the past few years it has become a very popular method of getting students to submit assessments. It checks the document and highlights any parts which have flagged up as plagiarised including the suspected source which it has been plagiarised from. If you were to submit an essay for module 'A' through TurnItIn and then submit the same essay for module 'B' through TurnItIn, it would flag up as 100% plagiarised and you'd probably get disciplined if you were at university. Ignorance is not an excuse when it comes to academic malpractice.
Reply 68
Original post by zazzi
From the UKCAT webiste:

Your University Choices

After the UCAS application deadline has passed (15th October 2011), UKCAT liaises with UCAS and obtains from then information regarding the Consortium Universities you have applied to. We then communicate your test result directly to your chosen Universities. You do not need to pass your test result to your Universities yourself.

For clarity we do not and cannot pass your mark onto any Universities outside the Consortium. If you choose to give the universities your scores, please remember that they would not know how to judge a UKCAT result since they would not have the UKCAT results of other candidates with which to compare it.

How Consortium universities use the results varies. However all Consortium members use the UKCAT result as part of a well-rounded admissions policy in which other factors, including GCSE and A-level examinations, your personal statement, your school/college report and interviews (if applicable) are considered. To find out more about how each University uses the test then you will need to consult their websites and/or prospectuses. It is important you consider this information in the light of your test result to avoid wasting UCAS applications.

http://www.ukcat.ac.uk/pages/details.aspx?page=unichoises

Haha lool... thanks for that.. I bet you think i'm some stressed out freak lool :wink:

Thanks for the link too :smile:
Reply 69
Original post by zazzi

Original post by zazzi
You do realise you can self-plagiarise and actually get into trouble for it whilst at university (or anywhere else)?

For example the majority of universities in the UK use a software called ''Turn It In'' which checks documents for plagiarism. Everything submitted through this software is stored for life and is cross-checked with every new document submitted. It checks online sources, books, courseworks, journals, research papers ... you name it. Over the past few years it has become a very popular method of getting students to submit assessments. It checks the document and highlights any parts which have flagged up as plagiarised including the suspected source which it has been plagiarised from. If you were to submit an essay for module 'A' through TurnItIn and then submit the same essay for module 'B' through TurnItIn, it would flag up as 100% plagiarised and you'd probably get disciplined if you were at university. Ignorance is not an excuse when it comes to academic malpractice.

woahh i knew about the unis checking for plagiarism with all online documents but i ddnt knw about this self plagiarism thing!
Reply 70
woahh i knew about the unis checking for plagiarism with all online documents but i ddnt knw about this self plagiarism thing!

It's not good practice to submit the same piece of work anyway. Surely you've done lots of other things over the 1 (between applying last year and applying again) and want to include this in your personal statement? Don't submit the same PS just because KCL say so, they'll be receiving a 1000 applications and won't really care if you get rejected and you ring up and say ''But you said my personal statement was good and to submit the same one ...".
Reply 71
Original post by zazzi

Original post by zazzi
It's not good practice to submit the same piece of work anyway. Surely you've done lots of other things over the 1 (between applying last year and applying again) and want to include this in your personal statement? Don't submit the same PS just because KCL say so, they'll be receiving a 1000 applications and won't really care if you get rejected and you ring up and say ''But you said my personal statement was good and to submit the same one ...".

yeah mine def isnt exactly teh same iv put in my gap year stuff and improved it... i wasnt submitting the same one because kcl said so, what i meant was kcl saying that to me was why i didnt think the issue of 'self plagiarism; existed in this case.
2bh assuming i did submit the same one, if i got rejected this year from them without interview it obviously wouldnt be because of the personal statement seeing as i got an iv with them last year with the exact same personal statement.
Reply 72
yeah mine def isnt exactly teh same iv put in my gap year stuff and improved it... i wasnt submitting the same one because kcl said so, what i meant was kcl saying that to me was why i didnt think the issue of 'self plagiarism; existed in this case.
2bh assuming i did submit the same one, if i got rejected this year from them without interview it obviously wouldnt be because of the personal statement seeing as i got an iv with them last year with the exact same personal statement.

hey! i was on the king's waiting list too last year but yeah I've changed bits of my personal statement to talk about gap year etc.. how did you do in your ukcat this year? where else are you applying?
Reply 73
Original post by hkn123

Original post by hkn123
hey! i was on the king's waiting list too last year but yeah I've changed bits of my personal statement to talk about gap year etc.. how did you do in your ukcat this year? where else are you applying?

i havent done my ukcat yet its next thurs!!! im really not sure where to apply i know def kings but i have no idea about the others... not sure if i should reapply to the same ones or not...
how was ur ukcat? and where are u thinking of applying?
Reply 74

i havent done my ukcat yet its next thurs!!! im really not sure where to apply i know def kings but i have no idea about the others... not sure if i should reapply to the same ones or not...
how was ur ukcat? and where are u thinking of applying?

hey mine is on next thursday too!!!
Reply 75
Original post by Z.Shafi
Hey guys...^ those are some amazing results btw, congrats!

I'm also on an unplanned gap year as a result of 4 rejections for dentistry :frown:
my A level results are AAA... I've just finalised my volunteer work and work experience at a local hospital.

BUT I've got my UKCAT this friday and I absolutely loath that test! Last year I did awful with a score of 590 (and yet I'm sat here wasting my time, I haven't even started to prepare for it!!!! ) any tips guys?!

P.S anybody started there personal statement yet?

heyy im in a similar position, i got 3As this year but no offers :frown:
i had my ukcat today and got 585, which is worse than what i got last year! i got 615 last year!
ahh i duno what to do, i still really want to do dentistry but so scared of getting 4 rejections again :frown:
i was thinking of applying to bristol,leeds liverpool and maybe kings ( cant apply to bham cz i got rejecetd after an interview last year)

which unis i thinking of applying to ?
Reply 76
I got 645? Is that a good score? and for what unis?
Reply 77
yehh that is above the 'average' which they say is usually 600 or so.
Original post by kubs
hey,

do you guys know what the ukcat cut off score was for manch' and newcastle last year??

Cos ive got a pretty crappy score of 610 so is there any chance of me getting into these unis??

I got in last year to Manc with 590 :smile:

Dont worry you cant self plagiarise, what a joke! Its the unauthorized use or close imitation of the language and thoughts of another author and the representation of them as one's own original work. Therefore you can't steal your own work. The uni will recognise thats it already been submitted BY YOU!

Quick Reply

Latest