The Student Room Group

Queens University Belfast Medicine Apps 2012 :D

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Swind
Does anyone know if Queens will still look at GCSE's if i have already taken my A2's and got AAAA????

If you are applying with all As at A2, then that scores you the max 36 points (as in 9A*s) so no, they won't look at your GCSEs.
Reply 21
Good news for any graduates stalking this page - they're increasing the number of graduate places (again) for next year! :-D x
Reply 22
Original post by Caponester
How many points do you think would be enough to secure an interview? Once you get to interview stage the slate is wiped clean and everyone is on level footing.

Hoping 40 points out of a possible 42 would be enough? Surely!?

I'm the same! Hoping 40 points is enough :smile:
Reply 23
Hi guys

I have three A grades at A-Level but got a b at AS-Level, so how much would they score me out of thirty six or would they reject straight away?
Reply 24
Original post by tbag1
If you are applying with all As at A2, then that scores you the max 36 points (as in 9A*s) so no, they won't look at your GCSEs.

Thats good for me, that means i should get 41/42, which should get me to interviewa i hope :smile:

Only thing im not keen on is this 9 station interview stuff???

Also Belfast is a long way to go, its across water and stuff :s-smilie:
Reply 25
Hey,

Someone private messaged me, but I can't locate the message to reply to it. If this was you, message me again and I'd be more than happy to reply.
I was at a Queen's medicine day type thing and the cut off point in previous years has been 32 or 34 or something like that and that it was going to stay at a similar level this year so as long as you have like 36 you should be pretty sure of an interview I think
Reply 27
Original post by matthew769
I was at a Queen's medicine day type thing and the cut off point in previous years has been 32 or 34 or something like that and that it was going to stay at a similar level this year so as long as you have like 36 you should be pretty sure of an interview I think

They said they're only interviewing the top 500 apps after ranking from points, so it could be lower or higher than 36. Just depends on how well everyone does :smile:
Reply 28
Yeah, I agree. The cut off last year was 38 for Medicine and 30 for Dentistry (they told people this at the open day a couple of weeks ago).

It's hard to predict this years cut-off as it's the top 500 so who knows what the applicants this year will be like and where the average will be.

Though, in saying that if 500 people are interviewed and there's 262 places available the odds for getting an offer seem pretty likely :-D

The MMI system is testing though, moreso than the typical panel interviews that you can rehearse for. As the interviews will have patients, it's really interactive and there's really no way to prepare for it. So, make sure you brush up on your communication skills (QUB love them). For example, dealing with ethical problems given to you, or talking to the 'patients' about a specific problem.

Graduates and gap year people tend to do better at MMI but I think that's just down to having more life experience(?). So exciting for those applying! Nearly UCAS time!
Original post by orie2261
Yeah, I agree. The cut off last year was 38 for Medicine and 30 for Dentistry (they told people this at the open day a couple of weeks ago).

It's hard to predict this years cut-off as it's the top 500 so who knows what the applicants this year will be like and where the average will be.

Though, in saying that if 500 people are interviewed and there's 262 places available the odds for getting an offer seem pretty likely :-D

The MMI system is testing though, moreso than the typical panel interviews that you can rehearse for. As the interviews will have patients, it's really interactive and there's really no way to prepare for it. So, make sure you brush up on your communication skills (QUB love them). For example, dealing with ethical problems given to you, or talking to the 'patients' about a specific problem.

Graduates and gap year people tend to do better at MMI but I think that's just down to having more life experience(?). So exciting for those applying! Nearly UCAS time!

Was the cut off last year out of 40 or 42?

Thanks for the help! I'm so excited to be applying for QUB this year :h:
Reply 30
do you think my AS grade of a C will matter if i've got achieved A2s of A*AAA?
Reply 31
The cut off last year was out of 40, but it's 42 this year. It's all to play for if you get interview as they essentially ignore your academic score (GCSEs/A levels/degree plus UCKAT) and only base offers on interview performance.

In regards AS level, that sounds grand but just send them an e-mail to double check. The Medical admin time are really friendly and helpful x
Good news for any graduates stalking this page - they're increasing the number of graduate places (again) for next year! :-D x

How do you know this, what are they increasing it to?:biggrin:
Reply 33
Original post by groovyangel2008
How do you know this, what are they increasing it to?:biggrin:

They told us at the beginning of the year. From 25% this year to (I think I remember them quoting) around 40%.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 34
Yeah, they said they're aiming it to be 1 in 2 soon. The dean actually plans to phase out the UG Medical course in Northern Ireland so it's definitely worth trying to get in now before it's too late.
Yeah, they said they're aiming it to be 1 in 2 soon. The dean actually plans to phase out the UG Medical course in Northern Ireland so it's definitely worth trying to get in now before it's too late.

Phase it out to what? I do want to apply here (i'm a graduate) but I'm really not good at the mini interviews and there is no way to really practice them...
Reply 36
This uni is sooo sikk!!!!

the medics are soo jokes, and in their own way, stupid... its unbelievable!
and they aren't douche bags- the stereo type i held 4 so long has now gone away...
I'm not sure whether its worth applying here...I have 39 out of 42 points hmmmmm
Reply 38
what was the cut off last year and out of what.
Reply 39
Original post by groovyangel2008
I'm not sure whether its worth applying here...I have 39 out of 42 points hmmmmm

Yes thats very high, if you want to live and study in Belfast for the next 5 years, like the course structure and think you can handle the MMI interviews then go for it.

Original post by hello786
what was the cut off last year and out of what.

38/40 but thats irrelavent as this years entry system is so different.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending