The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
hey guys i really want to apply for paramedic science too but I don't think i have enough experience AT ALL

my a levels are ABB in bio, chem and psychology and I'm reading Medical Genetics at Leicester right now but I have only just decided properly that this is the direction I want to take. The only experience I seem to have is:

- 1 year at special needs school
- 3 years of bar work
- joined St Johns ambulance this September (so only 1 month)
- year abroad in Texas University
- 3 months at dental practice in Texas

What do you think, will they look down on me for having such little amount of St Johns? What other experience are they looking for?

Thanks, good luck to everyone! x
Reply 61
Original post by Vorenus
Thanks.
I`m still a bit unsure how to master the financial burden. As an EU student I`d get the governmental loan for the (huge) tuition fees, but since I`m no UK citizen, I won`t qualify for living grants/loans. :mad:

Hey I'm sure you've checked anyway but have you made sure the courses you are applying for take on international students? It's just I know UCLan don't. I'm from the North so I'm probably not applying to the same ones as you anyway :redface: .

Good luck on your application!
Reply 62
Original post by .:Kiiim:.
Hey I'm sure you've checked anyway but have you made sure the courses you are applying for take on international students? It's just I know UCLan don't. I'm from the North so I'm probably not applying to the same ones as you anyway :redface: .

Good luck on your application!

As far as I`ve understood it, I wouldn`t be categorized as an Internation student anyway.
If you`re a citizen of a country that is within the EU, you pretty much count the same way as an UK-student - this unfortunately doesn`t reach as far as the living grants, though.
You`re considered an internation student, if your origin lies neither in the UK, nor in an EU-country.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by .:Kiiim:.
hey guys i really want to apply for paramedic science too but I don't think i have enough experience AT ALL

my a levels are ABB in bio, chem and psychology and I'm reading Medical Genetics at Leicester right now but I have only just decided properly that this is the direction I want to take. The only experience I seem to have is:

- 1 year at special needs school
- 3 years of bar work
- joined St Johns ambulance this September (so only 1 month)
- year abroad in Texas University
- 3 months at dental practice in Texas

What do you think, will they look down on me for having such little amount of St Johns? What other experience are they looking for?

Thanks, good luck to everyone! x

Sounds like you have good experience to me. Its all about how you can show it has helped you develop yourself.
Reply 64
Original post by Vorenus
As far as I`ve understood it, I wouldn`t be categorized as an Internation student anyway.
If you`re a citizen of a country that is within the EU, you pretty much count the same way as an UK-student - this unfortunately doesn`t reach as far as the living grants, though.
You`re considered an internation student, if your origin lies neither in the UK, nor in an EU-country.

ok well that's good :smile:
Reply 65
Hi all,

I applied last year for this course and got to interview at Greenwich and St Georges but didn't make it. So now I'm doing a Science Access course because I only had social sciences at A level and reapplying!

So far I've decided on

Hertfordshire
Greenwich
St Georges
Northampton
Coventry or Bournemouth

I don't have a whole lot of experience though, I've been with the community responders for 18 months now and secamb still haven't got me on a training course... I've just joined the Red Cross too.

Hopefully this year will work out better than last!
Reply 66
Original post by Ruth01
Hi all,

I applied last year for this course and got to interview at Greenwich and St Georges but didn't make it. So now I'm doing a Science Access course because I only had social sciences at A level and reapplying!

So far I've decided on

Hertfordshire
Greenwich
St Georges
Northampton
Coventry or Bournemouth

I don't have a whole lot of experience though, I've been with the community responders for 18 months now and secamb still haven't got me on a training course... I've just joined the Red Cross too.

Hopefully this year will work out better than last!

Hey, that sounds good to me! I'm sure being a community responder will help your application.

I think I've decided on applying to

Greenwich
Brighton
UWE
Northampton
Coventry

But also like the look of Staffs and Worcester so I am not too sure yet! :-|

Have you sent your application?
Reply 67
Original post by hhh123
Hey, that sounds good to me! I'm sure being a community responder will help your application.

I think I've decided on applying to

Greenwich
Brighton
UWE
Northampton
Coventry

But also like the look of Staffs and Worcester so I am not too sure yet! :-|

Have you sent your application?

No I haven't applied yet, just finishing off my personal statement! I'm guessing you haven't yet either?

Have you looked around any uni's? I'm going to see Coventry on saturday and Herts on sunday, but it's a lot of travelling about and will cost me a bomb on trains!
Reply 68
I´d really love to take a closer look at unis, too, before finally applying for them, but since I`m residing in germany and I work full time with a really tight schedule, it`ll be hard to go to an Open Day.

Still, I`ve got about five days of my yearly holiday day`s left, so I`m trying to get to London in late November/December and might be able to travel round a bit to look up some of the places independently.
Reply 69
Original post by Ruth01
No I haven't applied yet, just finishing off my personal statement! I'm guessing you haven't yet either?

Have you looked around any uni's? I'm going to see Coventry on saturday and Herts on sunday, but it's a lot of travelling about and will cost me a bomb on trains!

Nope, I haven't applied either. Hoping to do so by the end of next week. It's all become so real and I'm becoming more nervous by the day!

What are you studying?

Nope, I haven't looked at university's yet. I am going to Swansea on Saturday though for their open day so that's be good. Let me know what Coventry is like!
Reply 70
Original post by hhh123
Nope, I haven't applied either. Hoping to do so by the end of next week. It's all become so real and I'm becoming more nervous by the day!

What are you studying?

Nope, I haven't looked at university's yet. I am going to Swansea on Saturday though for their open day so that's be good. Let me know what Coventry is like!

I'm doing a science access course because apparently all the funding for adult A levels has been cut in my area... are you studying? or have you already completed it all?

I hadn't even considered Wales... bit too far away though I think. Will definitely report back about Coventry though!
Reply 71
Original post by Ruth01
I'm doing a science access course because apparently all the funding for adult A levels has been cut in my area... are you studying? or have you already completed it all?

I hadn't even considered Wales... bit too far away though I think. Will definitely report back about Coventry though!

That sounds good. What did you study before your access course?

Yes, I am studying for my A Levels at the moment in Mathematics, Health and Social Care and Psychology.

Look forward to hearing about Coventry :-)
Reply 72
Swansea uni open day was amazinggggggggg!!!
Reply 73
I'm looking to apply for paramedic science, but am really worried I don't have enough experience- because I was rejected last year!
Do you apply for Birmingham and Swansea independently, and not on UCAS?
Reply 74
Original post by MWilks1
I'm looking to apply for paramedic science, but am really worried I don't have enough experience- because I was rejected last year!
Do you apply for Birmingham and Swansea independently, and not on UCAS?

Yes that's right. What experience do you have? :smile:
Reply 75
Original post by hhh123
Yes that's right. What experience do you have? :smile:

I have a week's worth of work experience with a surgeon, visits to a warfarin clinic, and have recently started volunteering with st. john's ambulance.
I'm starting an access to HE course too!
What about you? :smile:
Reply 76
Original post by MWilks1
I have a week's worth of work experience with a surgeon, visits to a warfarin clinic, and have recently started volunteering with st. john's ambulance.
I'm starting an access to HE course too!
What about you? :smile:

That's plenty of experience! I have:

1 weeks experience in a Minor Injuries Unit
An ongoing placement on an elderly patient ward
and I am a member with St John. Ambulance

Admission tutors don't look for loads of care experience, just life experience :smile: :smile:
Reply 77
Original post by hhh123
That's plenty of experience! I have:

1 weeks experience in a Minor Injuries Unit
An ongoing placement on an elderly patient ward
and I am a member with St John. Ambulance

Admission tutors don't look for loads of care experience, just life experience :smile: :smile:

Ooh that's good experience :smile: How did you get it on the minor injuries ward? Thank god for that! haha. I started to get really worried because of the rejections last year! Hopefully I have enough life experience, did a ski season last year, and am having another year off this year!
Have you started any exercises for the fitness test?!
Reply 78
Original post by hhh123
That sounds good. What did you study before your access course?

Yes, I am studying for my A Levels at the moment in Mathematics, Health and Social Care and Psychology.

Look forward to hearing about Coventry :-)

What an exhausting weekend! I went to Coventry and Herts. Coventry uni was actually really nice, big new social bit with giant beanbags to sit on. Met the course director who was very nice and a couple of students who seem really happy there, overall I got a really good vibe from the university.

Unfortunately I don't think the location is right for me, but Herts is better (for me) in that respect. I am really worried about the accommodation though, it's really expensive, we'll be working nights and I'm going into this as a mature student, it's making me a bit nervous haha
Reply 79
Original post by Ruth01

Unfortunately I don't think the location is right for me, but Herts is better (for me) in that respect. I am really worried about the accommodation though, it's really expensive, we'll be working nights and I'm going into this as a mature student, it's making me a bit nervous haha

Same here!
Right now, I can`t imagine how to shoulder the living costs. :s-smilie:

Latest