The Student Room Group

What would a Union Jack without Scotland look like?

As Bob Dylan once said, the times are a-changing, and so we might have to consider some unusual possibilities. For one, Scotland seceding from the UK is definitely on the cards - it might not happen, yes, but what if it did? Would the Union Jack have to be edited to accurately represent the new sum of its parts?

I certainly think it would, although previous attempts to edit the flag to include Wales has never been very successful. In theory the dragon on the Union Jack would be quite inspirational, but it just doesn't look right in my opinion. It's even worse if you try cramming some yellow and black in there too, representing the flag of St. David.

I've come to the conclusion that the most logical form for the flag would be to simply colour the blue on the flag in black, as in this image:

I don't think that looks too shabby, does it?

To put it simply - the black would represent the Welsh, the red saltire is of course representative of the Northern Irish (that may be up for debate) and the St. George's cross would represent England. I think it'd be the most practical way of doing things - it means that all of the Union Jack merchandise only needs 1 quick colour change, after all.

I'm genuinely interested to see if anyone can come up with something interesting to represent a new Union Jack without Scotland. I invite you to share them with us in this thread.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Union Flag.

Pedants will reign supreme :P
Or just a white background; it wouldn't change though as the monarchy would like to act as if they still own Scotland (Kinda like how they keep the coat of arms of France and Ireland on their flag-tossers).
I don't think the Union Flag will change even if Scotland was to become independent. The St Patrick's Cross represents the entire island of Ireland, but when the majority of Ireland became independent the flag wasn't changed, it remained the same. I think the same will happen when Scotland becomes independent.
Reply 4
Original post by PendulumBoB
Or just a white background; it wouldn't change though as the monarchy would like to act as if they still own Scotland (Kinda like how they keep the coat of arms of France and Ireland on their flag-tossers).

Indeed, but surely this is a grand opportunity to include the Welsh on the flag (who've been British longer than anyone, I'd say. Besides the Cornish maybe). I suppose it remaining the same is quite likely.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5
For some reason that flag confused my eyes :s-smilie:

I think the flag would remain the same tbh.
Original post by Osmond
Indeed, but surely this is a grand opportunity to include the Welsh on the flag (who've been British longer than anyone, I'd say. Besides the Cornish maybe). I suppose it remaining the same is quite likely.

Hmmm, the Cornish idea would make a black background work, then again a Dragon would be awesome :biggrin:
I reject all notion, even hypothetical - of our nation not including Scotland. Twould be a sad day :frown:
Reply 8
I doubt they'd make it black.
But if you were to just remove Scotland out of the flag (without any redesign), it would look like this.

Untitled.png
Click to enlarge.

Looks snazzy, actually.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 9
exactly the same
Reply 10
If Scotland becomes independant then so will the Welsh, then the Northern Irish would probably leave too.
Original post by Einheri
If Scotland becomes independant then so will the Welsh, then the Northern Irish would probably leave too.

I think Scotland's independence would depend on how much of the North Sea oil they could lay a claim to.

I don't think Wales or Northern Ireland could afford to leave the union, to be honest.
I came up with a few ideas a while back for a flag with Wales in it, actually. I even made a slideshow for ya :tongue:

http://img594.imageshack.us/slideshow/webplayer.php?id=englandniwales4.jpg

The first three would probably be alright if we had to pick a new one should Scotland secede.

And we should do it anyway. I mean who doesn't want a ****ing dragon on the flag?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Einheri

Original post by Einheri

How can we speed us this process? :daydreaming:
Reply 14
Original post by Jonah Ramone
How can we speed us this process? :daydreaming:

*Shrugs* Dunno, but it seems pretty inevitable at some point - I think everyone wants their own national identities back.
Reply 15
Original post by Aphotic Cosmos

I came up with a few ideas a while back for a flag with Wales in it, actually. I even made a slideshow for ya :tongue:

The first three would probably be alright if we had to pick a new one should Scotland secede.

And we should do it anyway. I mean who doesn't want a ****ing dragon on the flag?

Number 4 pl0x
Original post by Ocassus
Number 4 pl0x

Eh, my personal favourite's 5.
Reply 17

4 or 6. I don't think the dragon needs to appear more than once :smile:
Original post by Osmond
As Bob Dylan once said, the times are a-changing, and so we might have to consider some unusual possibilities. For one, Scotland seceding from the UK is definitely on the cards - it might not happen, yes, but what if it did? Would the Union Jack have to be edited to accurately represent the new sum of its parts?

I certainly think it would, although previous attempts to edit the flag to include Wales has never been very successful. In theory the dragon on the Union Jack would be quite inspirational, but it just doesn't look right in my opinion. It's even worse if you try cramming some yellow and black in there too, representing the flag of St. David.

I've come to the conclusion that the most logical form for the flag would be to simply colour the blue on the flag in black, as in this image:

I don't think that looks too shabby, does it?

To put it simply - the black would represent the Welsh, the red saltire is of course representative of the Northern Irish (that may be up for debate) and the St. George's cross would represent England. I think it'd be the most practical way of doing things - it means that all of the Union Jack merchandise only needs 1 quick colour change, after all.

I'm genuinely interested to see if anyone can come up with something interesting to represent a new Union Jack without Scotland. I invite you to share them with us in this thread.

Also without the white diagonal cross.
Black and red looks almost anarchist to me.

Quick Reply

Latest