The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by meganerd
Him I'm very new to this, so sorry if this has already been answered.
I got AAABB at AS, a's in Drama, Eng Lang and French, b's in Eng Lit and critical thinking. I dropped drama and am applying for English Lit and French at Oxford, UCL, Warwick and Exeter. I'm also resitting my AS lit exam (which is also under appeal for the whole year).
I'm predicted A* in Lit A* in Lang and A in French for my A2 results.
Firstly, do you think the B in my Lit at AS will take me out of the running straight away at Oxford?
And secondly, I'm not convinced that I should have been predicted an A* in Lit at A2 because of how badly my AS exam went (I've had the paper back and the marks were pretty damn low :P). My teacher is thinks something funny has gone on with the marking but my confidence has been pretty hard hit and I'm not sure if an A* predicted grade will affect my offers badly because of the leap from B to A* - will they not think this is pretty unlikely, therefore making me a risk?
Sorry for the length of question :P

I wouldn't worry too much about the prediction: you only need AAA after all :smile:
If I don't do amazing in the HAT do I still have a chance of interview? :frown: I'm finding them really difficult but I got 4As at AS and am predicted A*AA (A* in history)... I know pretty much all the candidates will have this but is the HAT literally just cutting off people?
Original post by <3 inbetweener D
If I don't do amazing in the HAT do I still have a chance of interview? :frown: I'm finding them really difficult but I got 4As at AS and am predicted A*AA (A* in history)... I know pretty much all the candidates will have this but is the HAT literally just cutting off people?

As far as I remember the basis for calling someone for interview (according to open day) is 30% GCSE results and 70% HAT.

They don't seem to look carefully at AS levels and Personal statements until later.
Reply 663
I'm applying for Classics IIA with AABCC in AS English Lit, French, R.S, Economics and Maths, but I've dropped the Cs and I'm resitting the B paper, so I've been predicted A* Eng Lit, A* Religious Studies and A French, although my French teacher says I might have a shot at A* in that too.

My GCSEs were 5A*, 5A, B, C if that makes any difference :/

I shouldn't have taken five subjects last year, or I think I might have had AAAB :frown:

My grades seemed reasonable (maybe not the Cs) for Oxford - until I read all the A*A*A*A candidates panicking about that last asterisk :wink:
Original post by ispyjonnytriff
As far as I remember the basis for calling someone for interview (according to open day) is 30% GCSE results and 70% HAT.

They don't seem to look carefully at AS levels and Personal statements until later.

Original post by Apollo11
I got 8A*s and 2As. HOWEVER, In my school 1/4 of my year got straight 10A*s. It says Oxford compares your results to others in your year. Would I be disadvantaged? I, ideally, want to do Law or History at Oxford.

I can't imagine it would make much difference, if any, at that level of comparison - don't worry :smile:
Reply 666
Don't want to stress anyone out, but I called up the Oxford admissions today to ask about predicted grades, etc. and was really surprised to find out that they are actually more interested in GCSE results than AS (at least for humanities). I was worried as I had got a B in my Lit exam last year, and am resitting this year, but the woman just asked what my GCSE results were, and when I told her she said I would have no problem in applying.
Reply 667
Don't want to stress anyone out, but I called up the Oxford admissions today to ask about predicted grades, etc. and was really surprised to find out that they are actually more interested in GCSE results than AS (at least for humanities). I was worried as I had got a B in my Lit exam last year, and am resitting this year, but the woman just asked what my GCSE results were, and when I told her she said I would have no problem in applying.

What are ur GCSE grades??
Don't want to stress anyone out, but I called up the Oxford admissions today to ask about predicted grades, etc. and was really surprised to find out that they are actually more interested in GCSE results than AS (at least for humanities).

That's because virtually everyone has AAA+ at AS, with a few AABs in between. Its not a useful measure.
Reply 669
Original post by a.koe
What are ur GCSE grades??

10 A*s
Reply 670
Original post by Apollo11
I got 8A*s and 2As. HOWEVER, In my school 1/4 of my year got straight 10A*s. It says Oxford compares your results to others in your year. Would I be disadvantaged? I, ideally, want to do Law or History at Oxford.

I think I've seen it said that the contextual stuff to do with your school doesn't penalise those who do really well, like you, that it just evens the playing field for those from poorer schools. :smile:
So it seems that Oxford are more interested in looking at applicants' GCSEs than AS's, but what if you have already completed your A2s? Are these then more important than GCSEs? Sorry if this is a silly question.
Reply 672
Can I pose a hypothetical situation? If Oxford had to choose between one of these people, who would they choose?

Say person 1 got 6A*s and 6As in his GCSEs then straight A*s in A level. Person 1 came from an average/below average secondary school then goes to a slightly above average sixth form for college and comes from a lower class family (no University history etc.).

Person 2 got 12A*s and straight A*s in A level. Person 2 came from a private school/public school that's really high up and comes from an upper class family.

Who'd get the position, considering they did the same in everything else?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 673
So it seems that Oxford are more interested in looking at applicants' GCSEs than AS's, but what if you have already completed your A2s? Are these then more important than GCSEs? Sorry if this is a silly question.

Hm, I'm in the same boat as you. I've finished my A2 Maths.

I'm supposing it must count for something, since its solid evidence you're capable of achieving X grade in A2.
However since its unusual I don't think they will take it into account heavily, otherwise it would be unfair to people who didn't take A2 early. Slight bonus?
Reply 674
Say person 1 got 6A*s and 6As in his GCSEs then straight A*s in A level. Person 1 came from an average/below average secondary school then goes to a slightly above average sixth form for college and comes from a lower class family (no University history etc.).

Person 2 got 12A*s and straight A*s in A level. Person 2 came from a private school/public school that's really high up and comes from an upper class family.

You mean AS? A2's don't count in getting an offer...since you haven't done them yet.
If the interview and whatever admission test taken were exactly the same standard. Person 2 would get it.
Original post by Sadian
Can I pose a hypothetical situation? If Oxford had to choose between one of these people, who would they choose?

I wish people wouldn't ask these types of questions. That's not the way things work :nah:
Reply 676
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
I wish people wouldn't ask these types of questions. That's not the way things work :nah:

Could you elaborate, then?
Original post by Sadian
Could you elaborate, then?

You will never be in a situation where two candidates are identical except for their schooling and (consequently) their school grades :nah:
Reply 678
You will never be in a situation where two candidates are identical except for their schooling and (consequently) their school grades

Nah its just a common 'what if' question.

Its enjoyable to reason and guess...We'll never know anyway :smile:
Original post by Sadian

Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
They'd probably both get an offer...

But as The_Lonely_Goatherd says, chances are there would be another way to differentiate if needed: aptitude tests and interview performance being two of the main ones.
(edited 12 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending