The Student Room Group

The GTTR application guide and FAQ thread *please read 1st post*

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by masamune1989
5-8k? No way... However, there are new bursaries for next year based upon what degree class you hold. Have you seen them? History holds up to £9k bursary depending on what degree you have so that would be rather nice.

Oooo very nice, where is this information? I have been too glued to gttr this month or so?
Original post by C4OShea
Oooo very nice, where is this information? I have been too glued to gttr this month or so?

There's a table of proposed bursaries on page 9 of the document below, which is the government's teacher training white paper. It's well worth a read.

http://media.education.gov.uk/assets/files/pdf/t/training%20our%20next%20generation%20of%20outstanding%20teachers.pdf

On another note, it's great that's there are so many second timers around - I thought I was the only one! A quick question for any other second timers - in the 'Choices' section, did anyone else fill out the box where they ask for places you previously applied too - it doesn't seem to be mandatory, so wondering whether it's strictly necessary to fill it in. I feel paranoid, but am worried if I put down I applied to a university last year, then they'll say no straight away.
http://media.education.gov.uk/assets...20teachers.pdf
Here is the proposal, I'm not too sure how they can justify getting rid of the bursary for this year and then bringing in incentives of up to 20k for high priority subjects though. Its all rather unfair.
Original post by spiritofsussex
There's a table of proposed bursaries on page 9 of the document below, which is the government's teacher training white paper. It's well worth a read.

http://media.education.gov.uk/assets/files/pdf/t/training%20our%20next%20generation%20of%20outstanding%20teachers.pdf

On another note, it's great that's there are so many second timers around - I thought I was the only one! A quick question for any other second timers - in the 'Choices' section, did anyone else fill out the box where they ask for places you previously applied too - it doesn't seem to be mandatory, so wondering whether it's strictly necessary to fill it in. I feel paranoid, but am worried if I put down I applied to a university last year, then they'll say no straight away.

Hello,

I have put where I applied to last year, its to show you are determined and although you were unsuccessful you are still prepared to reapply again. Ive applied to all the same choices this year as last year, just in a completely different order!

I think you should put where you applied, it cant go against you in anyway can it? If you were unsuccessful last year surely you have improved what they said was wrong last year so they will probably give you a chance to go back to interview to show you have responded to feedback. Just my opinion.
I have a question about references.
Basically, I'm about to enter my third year of uni.
I don't want to have my lecturer as my referee because he doesn't know me well as our classes are very big.

Can I make my primary referee one of my teachers in Sixth Form? I'm still in touch with him, he knows me very well and he taught me the subject that I'm applying for.

Thanks.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 105
Hello,

I have put where I applied to last year, its to show you are determined and although you were unsuccessful you are still prepared to reapply again. Ive applied to all the same choices this year as last year, just in a completely different order!

I think you should put where you applied, it cant go against you in anyway can it? If you were unsuccessful last year surely you have improved what they said was wrong last year so they will probably give you a chance to go back to interview to show you have responded to feedback. Just my opinion.

I didn't put it where i applied last year, i can't see it being factor. There would be no way for Unis to see your prior preferences, that surely would be unfair. I wouldn't want my second choice knowing who my first was etc.

I only attended one interview last year (Oxford) and withdrew my application after they said no and Cambridge pulled out from offering History. Better be no repeat of last year. Although Man Met is looking increasingly attractive, it would mean the wife (who is also a teacher) wouldn't have to live separately.
Reply 106
5-8k? No way... However, there are new bursaries for next year based upon what degree class you hold. Have you seen them? History holds up to £9k bursary depending on what degree you have so that would be rather nice.

Hey could i ask, did you received a confirmation email saying that you had requested a reference from your referee or something to say you have submitted your application

So far i only received thanks for registering with GTTR 2012.

Just a bit odd
Reply 107
I didn't receive any mails except the thanks for registering one, though my referee did receive an email, so I guess the same goes for you :smile:
Hey.

No I didnt get an email but if I got to reference it says I cant send a reminder for 14 days so I know it has been sent for the reference request. It wont be until tomorrow now though as my Uni Professor wont check her emails.

As for the question above, I would recommend asking your uni lecturer for the reference. It would look a bit suspicious if you didnt, as you are at Uni not sixth form anymore. The academic reference is in relation to your academic abilities and your skills that would allow you to teach, it isnt personal. Thats why you have a second reference, I would recommend you put your sixth form teacher as secondary reference or the name of someone where you have gained experience.
I'm also confused about this.
I want to put credits but it says "If your degree is from the Open University, give the credit value for each course or module you have entered in 'Main degree subjects' fields."
So that doesn't apply to me.

I've done percentages for each module, but again, they don't add up to 100% as it's 12 modules over 3 years. It says you have to show full percentages and not decimals.
Hi everyone,

Finally the GTTR has gone live for 2012 applications :banana:

I've been having a read-through and I was wondering if someone could help me with something. I remember having a similar problem with UCAS, too.

After filling in the code 02 for the question about fee's, I am now having trouble answering the 'Student support arrangements' question below.

My LA is not actually on the list, so I am a little unsure what to put :confused:

Any ideas? :smile:
Original post by AwesomelyPsycho
Hi everyone,

Finally the GTTR has gone live for 2012 applications :banana:

I've been having a read-through and I was wondering if someone could help me with something. I remember having a similar problem with UCAS, too.

After filling in the code 02 for the question about fee's, I am now having trouble answering the 'Student support arrangements' question below.

My LA is not actually on the list, so I am a little unsure what to put :confused:

Any ideas? :smile:

In which LA do you live?
I am also confused, I can understand for science subjects how you could split it but I do drama there isnt really defined different areas, Could I just put Drama 100%?? xx
Original post by Rhiani-ani-on
I am also confused, I can understand for science subjects how you could split it but I do drama there isnt really defined different areas, Could I just put Drama 100%?? xx

I would - I did English and have put English 100%
Sorry to tag along in this thread, but i was wondering if anyone could answer the following question:
when putting in my "Main degree subjects*" i do put in my modules i've sat don't I?

If this is the case, do i put my first year modules even though they don't count towards my final degree?

thanks.

p.s could you quote this message if you reply to it? :smile:
I would - I did English and have put English 100%

Rather than putting a percentage, wouldn't you just put the complete number of credits?

Also, for those putting in separate modules, do i put my first year modules even though they don't count towards my final degree?
Reply 116
Blimey, seeing how many people have applied already I am worried I have left it too late now.

This is worse than trying to get Glasotonbury Tickets!
Ive just had an email from my reference saying she isnt doing it until Tues (thanks for that, even though you said last week it was written)... Hoping my delay doesnt put me to far behind!
In which LA do you live?

Epping. I've gone through my old UCAS form, and there I've put 'Essex'. I assume I shall have to put that one again.

Original post by elldeegee
Sorry to tag along in this thread, but i was wondering if anyone could answer the following question:
when putting in my "Main degree subjects*" i do put in my modules i've sat don't I?

If this is the case, do i put my first year modules even though they don't count towards my final degree?

thanks.

p.s could you quote this message if you reply to it? :smile:

It says those modules that are relevant to the course you are applying. As I'm applying to Primary, all my modules are relevant as they all relate to important topics in education, so I'm putting them all :smile:

Are you applying for primary or secondary?
Reply 119
I struggled to make the payment, had to ask friends, in the end 2 cards out of 3 didn't work!

Quick Reply