Literature at uni sounds like my idea of complete hell :tongue:

If I was forced to study science I would actually kill myself. :redface:
(edited 12 years ago)
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website
Original post by ArcadiaHouse
If I was forced to study science I would actually kill myself. :redface:

Best left to the people with a passion for it.

I'm a financial kinda guy, economics, stats, actuarial y'know :tongue:

The beauty of diversity :biggrin:
I thought SparkNotes WAS research :wink: lol wellll I suppose it's not the same as looking through a 'real' book of literary criticism ... The notes can be like essays in themselves sometimes ...

Does that mean we can't use Coursework.info as well? Although I really only use that to see how to structure an answer well.

TBH I've never used coursework.info so wouldn't know...but generally lecturers prefer you to go to the library
Original post by Mr Dangermouse
I'm a financial kinda guy, economics, stats, actuarial y'know :tongue:

The beauty of diversity :biggrin:

Lucky you! My life would have been so much easier before now with a maths brain :redface: But now I can immerse myself in words. :moon:

The beauty of literature courses: permission to be pretentious :pierre:
Lucky you! My life would have been so much easier before now with a maths brain :redface: But now I can immerse myself in words. :moon:

The beauty of literature courses: permission to be pretentious :pierre:

I just don't understand literature to be honest :tongue: I'm not horrible at English language...
I am in 4th year now and have always used Sparknotes. I obviously don't reference them but I find them a good introduction to the books. The chapter summaries, for example, really help to refresh your memory, find certain passages etc. Great to read again before an exam, too.
So I don't use them to get my ideas, but as an aid because there is so much reading to do. For essays and coursework you have a certain topic you have to research, so sparknotes is not really useful there anyway but for the above.

I did like Things Fall Apart but Poor Things was not my cup of tea at all. A lot of it depends on your teachers and how much you enjoy the reading.
I am with Prof Cronin this year and might be a tiny bit on love with him. He must be one of the greatest tutors ever. he even made poetry, which I am usually not a great fan of, really interesting! And once you're in honours you can pick your own books to write about so that helps a lot. For seminars you have to do certain readings but often others works, not on the course list, are referenced and you can write about whatever in exams. So don't worry, next year will be more fun :smile:
Original post by Buecherwurm
I am in 4th year now and have always used Sparknotes. I obviously don't reference them but I find them a good introduction to the books. The chapter summaries, for example, really help to refresh your memory, find certain passages etc. Great to read again before an exam, too.
So I don't use them to get my ideas, but as an aid because there is so much reading to do. For essays and coursework you have a certain topic you have to research, so sparknotes is not really useful there anyway but for the above.

I did like Things Fall Apart but Poor Things was not my cup of tea at all. A lot of it depends on your teachers and how much you enjoy the reading.
I am with Prof Cronin this year and might be a tiny bit on love with him. He must be one of the greatest tutors ever. he even made poetry, which I am usually not a great fan of, really interesting! And once you're in honours you can pick your own books to write about so that helps a lot. For seminars you have to do certain readings but often others works, not on the course list, are referenced and you can write about whatever in exams. So don't worry, next year will be more fun :smile:

Thanks a lot, this is very reassuring :biggrin:

They have increased the requirements to honours though - you need a B for each semester. I'm kind of nervous about that. Obviously I wouldn't want a C anyway, but you never know ... :s-smilie:

I'm just going to have to kill it :colone:
Thanks a lot, this is very reassuring :biggrin:

They have increased the requirements to honours though - you need a B for each semester. I'm kind of nervous about that. Obviously I wouldn't want a C anyway, but you never know ... :s-smilie:

I'm just going to have to kill it :colone:

Glad my post helped. Just saw all the typos, sorry for that.

Sorry about the requirements changing. You should be able to manage 2 Bs though, don't worry. Just really focus on the course work. I find it much easier to be good in exams when I know my course work has been good as well. I think it takes away a bit of the stress.

Let me know if you need anything else :smile:
I don't know if Loca People counts as Cheesy Pop, but I think it can let it slide 'cos last night was pretty good*. Dunno if it justifies my switch of allegiance from GUU to the QM though :ninja:

*I might just be saying that because I had low expectations/lots to drink
Reply 4209
Original post by d123
We meet every Tuesday at 5-6, normally in the QMU committee room - though we want to change that because the room's too small for the group now. Any changes will be well publicised though :smile: We do various campaigns, at the moment we're focusing on women's rights in Afghanistan and the death penalty - we hold talks, sign petitions, write letters, sometimes get speakers in. Also social events like the Secret Policeman's Ball. It's really good! We've got loads of events coming up soon - there's a website and a facebook page which can explain it all better than I can. Everyone should come along though if you're free at that time and interested in human rights type issues - it's a very active and friendly group, and we've won national awards before as well as SRC awards :smile:

Out of interest do you know if there's someone called Keith who regularly goes to the Amnesty meetings? Curly dark blonde hair, quite softly spoken, thin lips.

If so I can't stand the **** and I'm afraid I for one can't go to Amnesty International for that reason. :p:
Hello :biggrin: Well I was in the class that started at 1pm.

That would be the right class :tongue: I was confused because my English lit class is at 2
Reply 4211
Original post by foxo
Out of interest do you know if there's someone called Keith who regularly goes to the Amnesty meetings? Curly dark blonde hair, quite softly spoken, thin lips.

If so I can't stand the **** and I'm afraid I for one can't go to Amnesty International for that reason. :p:

I don't think so, doesn't ring a bell anyway! I'd probably know him if he did go.
Original post by d123
I don't think so, doesn't ring a bell anyway! I'd probably know him if he did go.

I wanted to go to Amnesty International tonight but I have lots of things to do for tomorrow so I hope I'll be there next week instead. :redface:

I'm in the library with a mountain of books. :indiff:
Reply 4213
Just out my first lab of the year. Oh lab coat how I missed you:h:
Reply 4214
See if I want to drop a course and add a new one now before Friday do I need to ask permission or can I just do it if there's spaces? Also anyone who did Ex cos before know if i'll be ok if i've missed the first 2 and a half weeks worth of lectures?
I cannot recommend the Zumba class in the gym enough. That is all.

Original post by NonaxD
Just out my first lab of the year. Oh lab coat how I missed you:h:

Only reason I'm jelly of science students: they get to wear lab coats.
Completely random, but does anyone know of a good hairdresser in Glasgow, preferably in the West End/city centre that isn't ridiculously expensive? I usually get my hair cut at home but at the moment can't see myself going home anytime soon.

Cheers!
Original post by dreamyeyed
Completely random, but does anyone know of a good hairdresser in Glasgow, preferably in the West End/city centre that isn't ridiculously expensive? I usually get my hair cut at home but at the moment can't see myself going home anytime soon.

Cheers!

The Lunatic Fringe - Bank Street. £20 (IIRC) with a student card and the best goddamn haircut of my life.
Really? That sounds great. I got a cut and colour from a place in town that was really good, but I just can't really afford going a lot. So I started colouring myself, but my home made fringe cuts are not very great... :wink:
I might have a look at them tomorrow.
Reply 4219
Yesterday I gave my brother permission to punch me in the face if I ever develop it.

Apologies if anyone here was there, but about 45 Glasgow uni accent-ers descended on the Laurieston last night (usually a quiet old-man pub) and screamed and shouted and sat far too close and nicked our chairs, and I was going to throw a table :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending