The Student Room Group

Dentistry Reapplicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 280
Original post by conjepense
His UKCAT is fine for kings? i got an interview with 630 ukcat last year!

Thanks so much for clearing that up.. You have no idea how much you made my day by saying that..! Girl btw :tongue: lol
Reply 281
It may be worth giving them a call because I think the look for Merit in Masters. But ure ukcat is sufficient with a good ps, I think.

Original post by Macpro
Hi Guys, I'm a graduate applying for the first time to 5-yr Dentistry and was hoping anyone could help me with the following information that I can't find on their website:

Firstly how heavily do Newcastle use the UKCAT?

Secondly do King's still look strongly at GCSEs and A-Levels regardless of graduate with a 2:1? I'm just worried because my A-Levels are quite poor.

Any help is appreciated and my stats are below.

2:1 Biomedical Sciences
Pass Immunology MSc
Currently working in Research

A-Levels - BBC (Biology, Maths, Chemistry)
GCSES - 4A*, 6As
Reply 282
Original post by UR4
It may be worth giving them a call because I think the look for Merit in Masters. But ure ukcat is sufficient with a good ps, I think.

You're right, but they only require a merit in Masters ONLY if you got a 2:2 in your degree.. I got a 2:1 so that should fulfil their entry requirement :smile:
Reply 283
Original post by Macpro
You're right, but they only require a merit in Masters ONLY if you got a 2:2 in your degree.. I got a 2:1 so that should fulfil their entry requirement :smile:

Possibly, but if you apply to Kings with a 2.1 or above and you are studying on a masters at the same time they give you a conditional offer of Merit in the MSc as standard. So I imagine their criteria of merit in MSc may extend to those who have already completed their MSc lately.

But give them a call, it just an observation from speaking to the admissions office and really grilling them about what is accepted and isn't.
Original post by undertaker1

what where your gcse grades??? if you dont mind me asking

10 A*s
Original post by Macpro

Original post by Macpro
Thanks so much for clearing that up.. You have no idea how much you made my day by saying that..! Girl btw :tongue: lol

That's okay but that was last year! please don't base ur decision on my ukcat score last year because it may be different this year in terms of ukcat cut off scores and their system! what were ur gcses and a level grades? because even though my ukcat was low i think i got an interview because my gcses and a level predicted grades were high.

your ukcat is good though well beyond the boundary unlike mine was- as far as im concerned good enough to apply to kings but obviously other factors come into play. :smile:
10 A*s

i dont mean to sound arrogant but don't you think you got an interiew from kings just because of your amazing gcse grades and not your ukcat score.

10A* is exacly what kings college london look for and if you get like 650+ ukcat score then your in a very good position.

i dont mean to sound arrogant but don't you think you got an interiew from kings just because of your amazing gcse grades and not your ukcat score.

10A* is exacly what kings college london look for and if you get like 650+ ukcat score then your in a very good position.

yeah i totally agree with u- thats what i told Macpro too
can someone recommend me some dental schools to apply to in england and wales with a ukcat score of 595 with the exceptions of bristol, birmingham and liverpool and low gcse grades.

lol i am not being lazy i just want another opinion before i press the send button on ucas

all help very much appreciated+rep

can someone recommend me some dental schools to apply to in england and wales with a ukcat score of 595 with the exceptions of bristol, birmingham and liverpool and low gcse grades.

lol i am not being lazy i just want another opinion before i press the send button on ucas

what were ur a level grades and gcses? apply to manchester they only look at ukcat at a tie...
Reply 290

I'd say leeds and manchester.. leeds is non ukcat and manchester only look at ukcat as part of the whole application so your score should be ok
Reply 291
Bimingham are very much focused on GCSEs and predicted A level grades.

Reply 292
Original post by UR4
Possibly, but if you apply to Kings with a 2.1 or above and you are studying on a masters at the same time they give you a conditional offer of Merit in the MSc as standard. So I imagine their criteria of merit in MSc may extend to those who have already completed their MSc lately.

But give them a call, it just an observation from speaking to the admissions office and really grilling them about what is accepted and isn't.

That's okay but that was last year! please don't base ur decision on my ukcat score last year because it may be different this year in terms of ukcat cut off scores and their system! what were ur gcses and a level grades? because even though my ukcat was low i think i got an interview because my gcses and a level predicted grades were high.

your ukcat is good though well beyond the boundary unlike mine was- as far as im concerned good enough to apply to kings but obviously other factors come into play. :smile:

Thanks UR4 :smile: but that wouldn't make sense. As a graduate, only your first degree is considered unless like I said, you got a 2:2 then you must obtain at least an MSc merit. As far as they're concerned, my MSc wouldn't wouldn't put me at an advantage/disadvantage to anyone else who got a 2:1/1st in their first degree.

I spoke to King's admissions in person yesterday because I was concerned my A-Levels (BBC - biology, maths, chemistry.. GCSES - 4*, 7A) weren't good enough but they said I'm fine since I've already done a degree. Regarding the UKCAT, they said the national average last year was 650?! so anything above that should put you in good stead, providing you have the minimum grade/predicted grades entry.

N.B. I don't think the girl I was speaking to knew her stuff because she had to keep running back and forth to find out information. I can assure anyone that the UKCAT "NATIONAL" average in any given previous year is deffffinately below 650.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 293
I may just pay them another visit just to make sure lol :tongue:
what were ur a level grades and gcses? apply to manchester they only look at ukcat at a tie...

my a-levels are BBC- predicted AAA- i have mitigating circumstances as to why i didn't obtain AAA in my first sitting.
Gcse's are 5A and 6B, B's are in english language, literature and maths- i know there rubbish lol

i have done loads of voluntary work.

so far i have leeds and manchester, i can't apply to any of the non ukcat univeristy's as they dont accept resit candidates, could you possibly recommend two more please

thanks for your help and good luck in the future
Reply 295
10 A*s

i reckon the reason why u got interview at kings with that ukcat is because they combine ur gcse and ukcat i think, im not to sure. but even still smashed ur gcses man well done :smile:
Reply 296
my a-levels are BBC- predicted AAA- i have mitigating circumstances as to why i didn't obtain AAA in my first sitting.
Gcse's are 5A and 6B, B's are in english language, literature and maths- i know there rubbish lol

i have done loads of voluntary work.

so far i have leeds and manchester, i can't apply to any of the non ukcat univeristy's as they dont accept resit candidates, could you possibly recommend two more please

thanks for your help and good luck in the future

liverpool?
Original post by kazma
liverpool?

i cant apply to non ukcat uni's lol as i am a resit candinate
Reply 298
Who knows with KCL. But I can tell u quite firmly that despite having a 2.1 in his first degree my BF was given a conditional offer to KCL last year on getting a merit in his MSc. And when he called the office to ask if they were mistaken, they said that is standard practice for all MSc students. I think with kings they look at everything on your application. Whilst QMUL dont look past your degree. Also when u call u have to be very direct with your questions otherwise they can be very aversive.

I think your ukcat will be fine and will do u justice.

Good luck

Original post by Macpro
Thanks UR4 :smile: but that wouldn't make sense. As a graduate, only your first degree is considered unless like I said, you got a 2:2 then you must obtain at least an MSc merit. As far as they're concerned, my MSc wouldn't wouldn't put me at an advantage/disadvantage to anyone else who got a 2:1/1st in their first degree.

I spoke to King's admissions in person yesterday because I was concerned my A-Levels (BBC - biology, maths, chemistry.. GCSES - 4*, 7A) weren't good enough but they said I'm fine since I've already done a degree. Regarding the UKCAT, they said the national average last year was 650?! so anything above that should put you in good stead, providing you have the minimum grade/predicted grades entry.

N.B. I don't think the girl I was speaking to knew her stuff because she had to keep running back and forth to find out information. I can assure anyone that the UKCAT "NATIONAL" average in any given previous year is deffffinately below 650.
help need urgently

i have just submitted my dentistry application today and i have just noticed i haven't mentioned how long i did my work experience for. I have applied to leeds and manchester- will i get an automatic rejection just on the basis that i haven't specified.
As i just had a look at dental applicants stalking for 2009 and on there people have mentioned they got rejected as they haven't mentioned the duration of there work experience.

Have i made a very big mistake as my academics aren't that great either.

Any help very much appreciated

Quick Reply

Latest