The Student Room Group

Accounting and Finance applicants for 2012 entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Original post by nervous_girl
Username: nervous_girl
GCSEs: A*A*A*A*A*A*A*AAAABB
Predicted AS grades (and subjects): Maths (A), Further Maths (A), Applied Business (B), I.T (A) , Mandarin Chinese (A).
Subjects for A2 + predicted grades: Maths (A), Further Maths (A), Applied Business (A), I.T (A)
Universities likely to apply to: LSE, Warwick, Bristol, Bath, Lancaster
Extras: May do EPQ + YASS
Taking resits in AS further maths (decision 1) + applied business (1 paper)
Have already took resit in I.T (1 paper)

Do you think i'll have a chance at any of these uni's? :frown: since 2 of my subjects are considered as 'weak' and also i have and are considering taking resits. 3 resits in tota].
Please help :frown:
)

I don't know about LSE and Warwick, but the others you will be fine with.
they don't really like Business and IT, and Warwick wants you to have at least one social science like Economics. I guess LSE is the same. But you should definitely try though as the grades you have a really good.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 121
When is everyone sending off their UCAS forms?
When im all happy with my personal statement. I'd say the sooner the better, although making sure your application is as good as it can be is a lot more important than sending it off earlier.
I'm aiming for sometime early November.
do u think is should apply to Warwick got BBCC at AS and have been predicted AAA (resits) or do u think id be better of applying to lower ones. I know i can achieve AAA but doubt i'll get offers with it.
Original post by Alpha5
)

I don't know about LSE and Warwick, but the others you will be fine with.
they don't really like Business and IT, and Warwick wants you to have at least one social science like Economics. I guess LSE is the same. But you should definitely try though as the grades you have a really good.

Ok thanks for your comment :biggrin: , I think LSE is a bit too risky for me :s-smilie: so that's out.
But i'm still gonna try Warwick :smile:

As my 4th and 5th option....
i dont know whether to pick Lancaster, Southampton, Sussex or Birmingham. Which is most reputable in work place? And which is best for the course Accounting+Finance?
Original post by Confused101
They don't care about resits you do in year 13, not for A&F anyway.

You should be fine for Bristol Bath and Lancaster, but Warwick/LSE may be a problem with your 'weak' subjects. No harm in applying though.
Best thing to do is call them up and ask directly.

Ah okay thanks :smile:. I was quite worried about my resits :s-smilie: because LSE specifically say they prefer it if students got A first time round :/ and i think applying to LSE is a bit too risky.. :/
Can you give some pointers as to which of the following 4 uni's are most reputable in a workplace and which is best for the course A&F?
Lancaster, Southampton, Sussex and Birmingham.
Ah okay thanks :smile:. I was quite worried about my resits :s-smilie: because LSE specifically say they prefer it if students got A first time round :/ and i think applying to LSE is a bit too risky.. :/
Can you give some pointers as to which of the following 4 uni's are most reputable in a workplace and which is best for the course A&F?

It would be Lancaster hands down...Its in the UK's top 5 Business schools...and top 10 MBA world business schools...Graduate prospects are phenomenal (providing you get a 2:1 as with any other A+F degree)

http://www.lums.lancs.ac.uk/departments/accounting/undergraduate/whylancaster/

http://www.lums.lancs.ac.uk/departments/accounting/undergraduate/careers/

Out of all of them Lancaster honestly gives you the most support in getting a job..i.e assessment center practice, Interview practice....very strong links to help get internships....this Uni's management school s very well known among employers...My cousin works for bloomberg and they are well aware of the top uni's for courses such as economics and A+F and lancaster A+F student are at a good advantage

Really?? Oh dear...I'm a resit student on a gap year, so I got my A levels and resitting and reapplying this year.

Got AAB and was so close to A*AA so I knew I could do better...I'm also taking up Economics A2 (after dropping it at AS), and should get an A* prediction for that, so my profile should be A*A*AA.
Hopefully that and a good personal statement will be enough to deter them from my resits =S
Original post by Jeeves_90
It would be Lancaster hands down...Its in the UK's top 5 Business schools...and top 10 MBA world business schools...Graduate prospects are phenomenal (providing you get a 2:1 as with any other A+F degree)

http://www.lums.lancs.ac.uk/departments/accounting/undergraduate/whylancaster/

http://www.lums.lancs.ac.uk/departments/accounting/undergraduate/careers/

Out of all of them Lancaster honestly gives you the most support in getting a job..i.e assessment center practice, Interview practice....very strong links to help get internships....this Uni's management school s very well known among employers...My cousin works for bloomberg and they are well aware of the top uni's for courses such as economics and A+F and lancaster A+F student are at a good advantage

:biggrin: thank you very much. It was originally going to be my 4th choice.. but just wasn't sure because i live down south.. and Lancaster is rather north... I didn't want to risk going too far from home for a uni that is not well recognized; but you've done a good job in convincing me :smile:
Which out Southampton, Sussex and Birmingham would be most preferred by workplace for my 5th choice do you think? :smile: thanks
(edited 12 years ago)
:biggrin: thank you very much. It was originally going to be my 4th choice.. but just wasn't sure because i live down south.. and Lancaster is rather north... I didn't want to risk going to far from home for a uni that is not well recognized; but you've done a good job in convincing me :smile:
Which out of the left overs (Southampton, Sussex and Birmingham) would be most preferred by workplace for my 5th choice do you think? :smile: thanks

Southampton and Bham are very much the same in prospects...but since your down south for conveinience I would suggest Southampton... check the website for graduate destinations ...GO TO THE OPEN DAY!! I cant stress enough how much you learn about the course, graduate destinations etc.. when you go to the open day talk to the lecturers see what you can learn from them....But yes Southampton is a very reputable University which is good for A+F
Original post by Confused101
Really?? Oh dear...I'm a resit student on a gap year, so I got my A levels and resitting and reapplying this year.

Got AAB and was so close to A*AA so I knew I could do better...I'm also taking up Economics A2 (after dropping it at AS), and should get an A* prediction for that, so my profile should be A*A*AA.
Hopefully that and a good personal statement will be enough to deter them from my resits =S

Are you applying LSE??
http://www2.lse.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/howToApply/lseEntryRequirements.aspx
If so, it says in the entry requirements about the retakes :/ which is what's worrying me...
But also, it also has a black list of subjects, which two of mine falls under =___=
So yeah, dont think i will be risking it.

But your profile looks excellent! So best of luck :smile:
Southampton and Bham are very much the same in prospects...but since your down south for conveinience I would suggest Southampton... check the website for graduate destinations ...GO TO THE OPEN DAY!! I cant stress enough how much you learn about the course, graduate destinations etc.. when you go to the open day talk to the lecturers see what you can learn from them....But yes Southampton is a very reputable University which is good for A+F

Ah okay! :smile: As long as Southampton is respectable! Because i haven't heard much about it at all from anyone, just that its in the top 20.. so i wasn't too sure
I am about 2hrs away from both Southampton and Bham, so i don't really mind which of the one :smile:
Unfortunately a lot of open days have past, been booked up or in the summer now :/ But yes, i'll try to go to as many as possible. Thank you for your suggestions, it has really helped a lot :smile:
Ah okay! :smile: As long as Southampton is respectable! Because i haven't heard much about it at all from anyone, just that its in the top 20.. so i wasn't too sure
I am about 2hrs away from both Southampton and Bham, so i don't really mind which of the one :smile:
Unfortunately a lot of open days have past, been booked up or in the summer now :/ But yes, i'll try to go to as many as possible. Thank you for your suggestions, it has really helped a lot :smile:

Well Ive applied for both bham and southampton aswell...but Im most likely to go to bham 1) Red brick uni 2) Russel group uni 3)CISI accredited-so if I want to go in to roles Such as Investment banking, Insurance or corporate banking it would be an advantage 4) Its close by 1 hour drive :smile: ( I love home lol)

If i were you...the only rankings I would pay attention too would be the financial times...and the times university guide....With Bham and southampton what I did was actually contact the Uni's and ask them to email me thier stats of thiers rankings-the school rankings and grad prospects that what swayed my decision lol...soz if im stressin u out lol
Just out of interest, is everyone here planning to go into accountancy/Big 4 with their degree?
Reply 134
Need advice on a very complicated situation...

GCSE: BBBBBBCCCCC

In early part of my year 12 studies, a incident took place whereby I was attacked leaving me hospitalized for nearly 2 months and am now left with a permanent scar on my face.
Due to external factors which came from this incident, I was unable to attend school and led to very poor AS grades.
This was continued into year 13 along with family issues, which inevitably left me with DDU as final grades, in Economics, Geography and Maths at A2.

Having come through adversity, the only option was to have a fresh start, move away from home and go to boarding school having formerly been at a public school. I am now at an independent college with a fantastic record, studying the same subjects intensively (AS/A2 in the same year) but for different exam boards except Maths and have been predicted AAA.

I am looking to study Accounting and Finance at either:

Bristol - AAA/AAB
Manchester - AAB
Liverpool - AAB
Newcastle - AAB

I am extremely positive I can achieve these grades and so are my teachers but I am worried that the university will not take my mitigating circumstances into account.
This year is at a very high cost, so I hope you can understand the need to get into a respectable university.

Please could you share your views on this scenario.
Thanks
Original post by eddiemoi3
Need advice on a very complicated situation...

GCSE: BBBBBBCCCCC

In early part of my year 12 studies, a incident took place whereby I was attacked leaving me hospitalized for nearly 2 months and am now left with a permanent scar on my face.
Due to external factors which came from this incident, I was unable to attend school and led to very poor AS grades.
This was continued into year 13 along with family issues, which inevitably left me with DDU as final grades, in Economics, Geography and Maths at A2.

Having come through adversity, the only option was to have a fresh start, move away from home and go to boarding school having formerly been at a public school. I am now at an independent college with a fantastic record, studying the same subjects intensively (AS/A2 in the same year) but for different exam boards except Maths and have been predicted AAA.

I am looking to study Accounting and Finance at either:

Bristol - AAA/AAB
Manchester - AAB
Liverpool - AAB
Newcastle - AAB

I am extremely positive I can achieve these grades and so are my teachers but I am worried that the university will not take my mitigating circumstances into account.
This year is at a very high cost, so I hope you can understand the need to get into a respectable university.

Please could you share your views on this scenario.
Thanks

Mate ive been in a similar situation....As long as you have proof of your mitigating circumstances you'll be fine...I dont know about the domestic issue tho...Ill inbox you some of my thoughts of what you should do....
However im pretty sure the uni's yo havve selected arn't too bothered about you repeating the year EXCEPT Newcastle if your applying for the PWC course then that will be a factor
Well Ive applied for both bham and southampton aswell...but Im most likely to go to bham 1) Red brick uni 2) Russel group uni 3)CISI accredited-so if I want to go in to roles Such as Investment banking, Insurance or corporate banking it would be an advantage 4) Its close by 1 hour drive :smile: ( I love home lol)

If i were you...the only rankings I would pay attention too would be the financial times...and the times university guide....With Bham and southampton what I did was actually contact the Uni's and ask them to email me thier stats of thiers rankings-the school rankings and grad prospects that what swayed my decision lol...soz if im stressin u out lol

Oh waow... i dont know anything about the Red brick uni, Russel group uni or CISI accredited or anything :confused:

Just out of interest, what other uni's are you applying to? :smile:
Oh waow... i dont know anything about the Red brick uni, Russel group uni or CISI accredited or anything :confused:

Just out of interest, what other uni's are you applying to? :smile:

Hey Ive applied too Nottingham, Loughborough, Reading and southampton..Got offers from Notts and bham so far just waiting on the rest...what about you :smile:
Reply 138
As Nottingham University's Accounting and Finance course is a BA, does this mean employers will look down on this.
Hey Ive applied too Nottingham, Loughborough, Reading and southampton..Got offers from Notts and bham so far just waiting on the rest...what about you :smile:

I haven't even wrote my personal statement yet.. let alone apply =____=
But i'm going to apply for Warwick, Bristol, Bath, Lancaster and Southampton :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending