The Student Room Group
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by letsdothetimewarpagain
Applying for History and Politics. It was a bit of a last minute choice but it's really growing on me. No idea where I'm placing them all just yet :ninja:

I'm a first year doing History and Politics so if you have any Qs I'd be happy to answer!

Only in my third week obviously but I've done a far bit already!
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website
Original post by diamonddust
*cough* Annnnd we have a Glee society *cough* And I'm planning on starting a musical theatre society as soon as I figure out how to run one... :tongue:

Sold TBH :h:

Original post by Nut.
I'm a first year doing History and Politics so if you have any Qs I'd be happy to answer!

Only in my third week obviously but I've done a far bit already!

One main question, is there much flexibility in the first year? I can never really tell from the online stuff and haven't been able to make it to an open day where they normally explain these things :o:
Reply 22
Sold TBH :h:

One main question, is there much flexibility in the first year? I can never really tell from the online stuff and haven't been able to make it to an open day where they normally explain these things :o:

Well, I'm currently doing 3 modules, and I'll do another 3 in the term after Christmas. At the moment I'm doing two history and one politics. Two of my modules (Social and Political Theory, and Intro to Modern History) were compulsory for the first term, and the third module I chose (from Medieval History or Early Modern Studies).

Each module is assessed by two essays (so six in total) and you get to choose which question you answer. For Modern History I have a choice of 35 essays, for Social and Political Theory I have a choice of 10, but the topics are all really varied. If you prefer economic history, or social history or whatever, you can choose a question to do with that, so in that sense it is flexible.

Each module has 2 lectures and 1 seminar a week (so a 9 hour week) and you are given stuff to read in advance of the seminars so that it can be discussed and knowledge from the lectures is built on. Each week deals with a different area of history or a different political figure, so a wide overview is built up, and if you're interested in a particular event or person you can go away and read a book about it after being taught the basics.

The suggested reading lists are extensive. There are probably around 300 or 400 books in total that are recommended, so you really can read about whatever interests you.

All of the lecturers and seminar leaders I've met so far have all been really nice and really enthusiastic, which I love. At sixth form I think it's easy for teachers to get jaded and bored of the curriculum, but these guys (and gals) all seem really motivated and interested in their subject.
Got my acknowledgement email today. :smile:
Original post by KingMessi
Got my acknowledgement email today. :smile:

Glad to see you decided to reapply. For straight English again?
Original post by jelly1000
Glad to see you decided to reapply. For straight English again?

Last year it was English and Creative Writing; this year it's straight English. Fingers crossed, I guess...
Last year it was English and Creative Writing; this year it's straight English. Fingers crossed, I guess...

Ah I see, yes English & CW is very competitive at UEA. Good luck.

Good luck! :hugs:
Original post by Nut.
Well, I'm currently doing 3 modules, and I'll do another 3 in the term after Christmas. At the moment I'm doing two history and one politics. Two of my modules (Social and Political Theory, and Intro to Modern History) were compulsory for the first term, and the third module I chose (from Medieval History or Early Modern Studies).

Each module is assessed by two essays (so six in total) and you get to choose which question you answer. For Modern History I have a choice of 35 essays, for Social and Political Theory I have a choice of 10, but the topics are all really varied. If you prefer economic history, or social history or whatever, you can choose a question to do with that, so in that sense it is flexible.

Each module has 2 lectures and 1 seminar a week (so a 9 hour week) and you are given stuff to read in advance of the seminars so that it can be discussed and knowledge from the lectures is built on. Each week deals with a different area of history or a different political figure, so a wide overview is built up, and if you're interested in a particular event or person you can go away and read a book about it after being taught the basics.

The suggested reading lists are extensive. There are probably around 300 or 400 books in total that are recommended, so you really can read about whatever interests you.

All of the lecturers and seminar leaders I've met so far have all been really nice and really enthusiastic, which I love. At sixth form I think it's easy for teachers to get jaded and bored of the curriculum, but these guys (and gals) all seem really motivated and interested in their subject.

Thanks for that, it's really useful to hear it from someone who is actually there :biggrin:

AND I just got an offer :woo:
Thanks for that, it's really useful to hear it from someone who is actually there :biggrin:

AND I just got an offer :woo:

I just got my offer from UEA as well :biggrin: im so happy! :biggrin:
Original post by grooveshoeshine

Didn't know what a relief it would be to be going to uni in september :biggrin:

What did you apply for?
Original post by jelly1000
Ah I see, yes English & CW is very competitive at UEA. Good luck.

Thank you. :smile:

Original post by diamonddust
Good luck! :hugs:

Thanks. :smile: How are you finding the course (and UEA)?

:five: What course?!
Reply 33
Anyone know how competitive Maths is? They require AAB but Im around the ABB mark :l
Didn't know what a relief it would be to be going to uni in september :biggrin:

What did you apply for?

Biomedicine, got the standard ABB offer.

I retook year 12 as well, because I was ill so I was worried I wouldn't get an offer from anywhere, so to get one straight from UEA was just amazing :biggrin:
:five: What course?!

biomedicine :smile:
Biomedicine, got the standard ABB offer.

I retook year 12 as well, because I was ill so I was worried I wouldn't get an offer from anywhere, so to get one straight from UEA was just amazing :biggrin:

Yay :biggrin:

Join me in http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=34432311#post34432311 so I'm not a loner :ninja:
They're definitely going down as my insurance choice (pending offer of course), applying for politics. The place seems really awesome, good fun.
Reply 38
Applying for History and Politics. It was a bit of a last minute choice but it's really growing on me. No idea where I'm placing them all just yet :ninja:

did i read your signature right, you've already got a UEA offer? when did you send your UCAS?

well done (; when did you send your UCAS?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by emmakh123
did i read your signature right, you've already got a UEA offer? when did you send your UCAS?

Yep, got it an hour ago :biggrin: sent it on the 20th Sept

Latest