The Student Room Group

Fast Stream 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Original post by coolh5000
*sigh* I guess that means they've set the initial pass mark then? Obviously haven't made it, which means more waiting I suppose to see if I make the cut later on.

Chin up, best thing is to just put it out of your mind for now and concentrate on all the other stuff you have on. I'm applying for Teach First as well, so the plan is: if I get onto the Fast Stream then great, I'll try to go straight for that. If not, then hopefully I'll get TF (chemistry undergrad so fingers crossed I'll do alright) and can reapply next year!
Reply 181
Does anyone have any advice on practising the numerical tests? Considering giving up right now they are so hard! Even the verbal ones aren't going great....
Original post by muhrose
Does anyone have any advice on practising the numerical tests? Considering giving up right now they are so hard! Even the verbal ones aren't going great....

just dont over think them too much. I bypassed the tests for the fast stream but have done about a million in other companies. I found if I worried and stressed my grades went down. You can practise the method, but you can definately over practise.

Best of luck with them. Dont build it up-just sit down and take them
People who've passed the selection tests, what stream did you apply for? I was told pretty soon after my tests that I passed EFS, but GFS and TiB are still pending. Has anyone had a GFS result yet?
I would recommend you all chill out with the timings of the process. One thing you'll come to realise is that there is sometimes a LOT of waiting around on the fast Stream. I got around it by waiting until close to the deadline for each stage to complete it - that minimised waiting times somewhat.

But even then, its a long process. You'll go mad if you constantly worry about when you're going to hear back and try to second guess what it means. I would just chill out, keep an eye on your email and get on with other applications - whatever - to avoid going insane.
Reply 185
As much as I'd love to work for the CS, I wonder how many fast streamers can they afford to take this year considering the public sector cuts?
Don't let the numbers put you off. The FS is the only part of the CS not impacted by the hiring freeze. For that reason its the only real way for many departments to replace departing staff and is more necessary than ever for departments. So although numbers are down, statistically, your chances aren't that much worse compared to, say, two or three years ago.

So don't be put off by how competitive it is.
Reply 187
Original post by Terrafire
People who've passed the selection tests, what stream did you apply for? I was told pretty soon after my tests that I passed EFS, but GFS and TiB are still pending. Has anyone had a GFS result yet?

I believe those that posted recently that they've passed, like myself, were GFS. Myself and others on this thread have received GFS results. I wasn't expecting it for a couple of weeks.
Reply 188
Original post by livingston
Don't let the numbers put you off. The FS is the only part of the CS not impacted by the hiring freeze. For that reason its the only real way for many departments to replace departing staff and is more necessary than ever for departments. So although numbers are down, statistically, your chances aren't that much worse compared to, say, two or three years ago.

Not sure how you worked that out, applications were 205 up while places were 25% down the year before last...
Reply 189
I NEVER think about the other 200 or whatever it is people trying to get the position whenever I make applications. I just concentrate on meand my application. I have confidence in myself and my abilities. I know there isn't many people out there that have the talents I have. The majority of that 200 is simply not up to scratch. To some this would sound really arrogant but to achieve incredible things in your life you need to have a lot of belief in yourself.

Someone will get the job, why can't it be you?

I absolutely believe I am 'better' than most people, but it's more of an inner confidence i.e. it doesn't effect the way I treat people, it just effects the way I see myself. And if I don't get it? Well it obviously wasn't meant for me, and there's something greater coming in my future .... :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 190
Original post by Antzlck
I NEVER think about the other 200 or whatever it is people trying to get the position whenever I make applications. I just concentrate on meand my application. I have confidence in myself and my abilities. I know there isn't many people out there that have the talents I have. The majority of that 200 is simply not up to scratch. To some this would sound really arrogant but to achieve incredible things in your life you need to have a lot of belief in yourself.

I absolutely believe I am 'better' than most people, but it's more of an inner confidence i.e. it doesn't effect the way I treat people, it just effects the way I see myself. And if I don't get it? Well it obviously wasn't meant for me, and there's something greater coming in my future .... :smile:

And 138 of the people will think the same as you but not need an edit that still leaves a typo in the post.

Self determination is part of it but its hardly a winner.
Reply 191
Original post by Antzlck

I get where you are coming from but it is rather ironic when you can't use effect/affect correctly...

Edit: I completely agree with you though, you'll never get through this process unless you have confidence in your own abilities. If you believe that you can get the job it will help you a lot.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 192
Original post by Kt.b
I get where you are coming from but it is rather ironic when you can't use effect/affect correctly...

:biggrin: Haha, I'll freely admit it's something I struggle with it.
Original post by tekno
Hey.

I'm very interested in the Fast Stream for Northern Ireland. My academics are ok (2:1 and about to start a MSc) but I've heard that the process is incredibly competitive and heavily reliant on aptitude testing. What kind of practice should I be doing for these tests and does anyone know what the pass mark is for them?

Thanks

Hi, I applied for NI stream last year and got as far as the assessment center in London. Unfortunately did not get it but am going to give it a go this year again. They give you about 5 pages of feedback from center which is really useful at identifying where you went wrong. Some of the guys at my assessment day had their previous feedback with them and said it helped greatly.....hth....
Original post by jimmy1975
is anyone else applying for the northern ireland fast stream ?

Yeah I am (again...lol...)
Reply 195
Original post by FUNKYDADDIO
Yeah I am (again...lol...)

Me too - first time round for me, graduated from doctorate in the summer and against all the odds I've been working since then but my job's in the voluntary sector so - like everyone - on a temp contract "subject to funding".

Wouldn't mind actually having a wee bit of job security and all that jazz, so think I'm going to give it a go - bloody competitive tho! Going to do the online test bit next week and take it from there, see how I get on lol :eek:
Reply 196
Original post by chrrry
Me too - first time round for me, graduated from doctorate in the summer and against all the odds I've been working since then but my job's in the voluntary sector so - like everyone - on a temp contract "subject to funding".

Wouldn't mind actually having a wee bit of job security and all that jazz, so think I'm going to give it a go - bloody competitive tho! Going to do the online test bit next week and take it from there, see how I get on lol :eek:

Next week? Dude, I'm pretty sure the scheme closes tomorrow.
marks for European Fast Stream are beginning to come out. I didn't get it...bummer.
Reply 198
Original post by livingston

I'm not sure about that. For me, the GES reduced their numbers drastically from previous years, shown by the fact they are only having 1 round this year, as they did last year.

Yes there are jobs going through the Fast stream, but I don't get the impression that they are as plentiful as in previous years. .

Having said all that, I believe that the Fast Stream is definitely worth applying for if that is what you want to do. Don't worry about how many others are applying, just concentrate on what you're doing.
Reply 199
Original post by FUNKYDADDIO
Hi, I applied for NI stream last year and got as far as the assessment center in London. Unfortunately did not get it but am going to give it a go this year again. They give you about 5 pages of feedback from center which is really useful at identifying where you went wrong. Some of the guys at my assessment day had their previous feedback with them and said it helped greatly.....hth....

How soon after the deadline will we get invited to assessment days/rejected?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending