London School of Economics
London

LSE Applicants for 2012 entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
Original post by mamba123
I sent my (post A-level) application on the 3rd October to read History
7A*s, 3As = GCSE/iGCSE results
AAAA (in AS English, History, Politics and Latin)
A*A*A*A at A2 (A in Latin)
Other choices = Cambridge, UCL, KCL and Warwick. I probably won't get Cambridge so in the event of getting offers from UCL and the LSE, which would people recommend?

LSE.
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 141
Can anyone offer some advice? Would like to put LSE as a fifth option with a medicine personal statement. Considering the following choices:

Business Mathematics and Statistics
Statistics with Finance
Actuarial Science
Accounting and Finance

I've already sat my A-levels last year and achieved A*AA but don't have further maths which I know is a disadvantage. Also didn't get the A* in Maths but was about 7 UMS off and had 100% in a few modules then 76 in C4! Also 8A* at GCSE etc. Which course would I most likely be to receive an offer in seeing as that my PS will not be focused on any of those subjects at all (although there is a slight business reference)? Also, are there interviews for any of these courses? I actually won a national competition in business studies during GCSE and a few other local comps but obviously didn't mention these in my statement.

Probably being a bit too optimistic and I may end up putting biomed or something if responses are negative.

Thanks guys and best of luck with your applications!

Edit: A-levels are in Biology, Chemistry & Maths - so no essay writing subjects either which I guess will further disadvantage me!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 142
Original post by mmeiger
Can anyone offer some advice? Would like to put LSE as a fifth option with a medicine personal statement. Considering the following choices:

Business Mathematics and Statistics
Statistics with Finance
Actuarial Science
Accounting and Finance

I've already sat my A-levels last year and achieved A*AA but don't have further maths which I know is a disadvantage. Also didn't get the A* in Maths but was about 7 UMS off and had 100% in a few modules then 76 in C4! Also 8A* at GCSE etc. Which course would I most likely be to receive an offer in seeing as that my PS will not be focused on any of those subjects at all (although there is a slight business reference)? Also, are there interviews for any of these courses? I actually won a national competition in business studies during GCSE and a few other local comps but obviously didn't mention these in my statement.

Probably being a bit too optimistic and I may end up putting biomed or something if responses are negative.

Thanks guys and best of luck with your applications!

Edit: A-levels are in Biology, Chemistry & Maths - so no essay writing subjects either which I guess will further disadvantage me!

I'm not being funny, but I don't think the LSE is a good back up choice at all. One reason being is that admission tutors put a lot of emphasis on the personal statement when deciding to make offers/reject people. LSE do not interview, therefore with most candidates having excellent grades at both GCSE and at AS and also good A2 predictions, the PS becomes the all important decider. So having a personal statement which is designed for medicine, and using that to apply to the LSE, just isn't a good idea.

I was rejected last year for Gov+Econ because my personal statement was good, but not as good as the others. And I applied for Gov+Econ everywhere apart from one place.

EDIT: Just to add context with regards to my academic record. I applied having 6A*, 5As and a B at GCSE and I had AAAA at AS(maths, history, econ and pol). Averaging 93ums. And of course this just my opinion, I could be wrong, and maybe my application was just not what they were looking for :smile:.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 143
Original post by The_0001
I'm not being funny, but I don't think the LSE is a good back up choice at all. One reason being is that admission tutors put a lot of emphasis on the personal statement when deciding to make offers/reject people. LSE do not interview, therefore with most candidates having excellent grades at both GCSE and at AS and also good A2 predictions, the PS becomes the all important decider. So having a personal statement which is designed for medicine, and using that to apply to the LSE, just isn't a good idea.

I was rejected last year for Gov+Econ because my personal statement was good, but not as good as the others. And I applied for Gov+Econ everywhere apart from one place.

EDIT: Just to add context with regards to my academic record. I applied having 6A*, 5As and a B at GCSE and I had AAAA at AS(maths, history, econ and pol). Averaging 93ums. And of course this just my opinion, I could be wrong, and maybe my application was just not what they were looking for :smile:.

I fully expected this answer but kind of hoped they interviewed. Thank you for letting me down gently. :smile: It would have only been a backup anyway, so I am not too fussed.
Reply 144
Original post by mmeiger
I fully expected this answer but kind of hoped they interviewed. Thank you for letting me down gently. :smile: It would have only been a backup anyway, so I am not too fussed.

No worries mate. Maybe think about UCL BASC programme? You pick your own modules. Picking from Maths, stats, chem bio, econ, law, etc. There's a compulsory number of modules, but it's very flexible.

Bonus is that they don't look at your UCAS personal statement as they know that their degree is so unique that they ask you to write one specifically for their course(once they've received your application).

Check it out, I reckon it's a very good back up! :smile:
Reply 145
Original post by The_0001
No worries mate. Maybe think about UCL BASC programme? You pick your own modules. Picking from Maths, stats, chem bio, econ, law, etc. There's a compulsory number of modules, but it's very flexible.

Bonus is that they don't look at your UCAS personal statement as they know that their degree is so unique that they ask you to write one specifically for their course(once they've received your application).

Check it out, I reckon it's a very good back up! :smile:

That does sound interesting! Thanks! :smile:
Reply 146
Did all of you put in your application yet? My schools's deadline is december and i am afraid that will be too late. Does anyone know if LSE and Warwick will wait for deadline before offering candidates or will it be on first come first serve basis
Original post by Asian7
Did all of you put in your application yet? My schools's deadline is december and i am afraid that will be too late. Does anyone know if LSE and Warwick will wait for deadline before offering candidates or will it be on first come first serve basis

Generally, LSE wait until all applications are in (mid-January) to give out the vast majority of their offers. They do give out the rare offer to outstanding candidates earlier than that sometimes, but sending in your application in December shouldn't disadvantage you.
Can I just confirm because I'm not sure - do LSE send you a form for you to fill in with your module grades, if you didn't already put them on your UCAS form?
Reply 149
Original post by emmaaa88
Can I just confirm because I'm not sure - do LSE send you a form for you to fill in with your module grades, if you didn't already put them on your UCAS form?

Yeah, I don't know. But I don't really mind if they do. But does anyone know if LSE does ask you to fill in a separate form like the Cambridge SAQ.
Reply 150
Anyone wanting to do Social Policy who needs general advice, personal statement, etc. give me a shout.
Original post by Alpha5
Yeah, I don't know. But I don't really mind if they do. But does anyone know if LSE does ask you to fill in a separate form like the Cambridge SAQ.

They did for some subjects for 2011 entry, for Economics if I remember correctly. Maybe all degrees administered by that department, no idea if they're extending that this year.
Original post by Aluu93
Oxford, Warwick, LSE, Notts, Queen Mary, and yours?

oxford, lse,lse,ucl ,warwick:smile:

i applied for history and economics at oxford, brasenose college, what about you?
Reply 153
Original post by onlyskin
They did for some subjects for 2011 entry, for Economics if I remember correctly. Maybe all degrees administered by that department, no idea if they're extending that this year.

It will be good if they do it this year as well, as I have seen so many people with over inflated predictions. They prob will anyway because the extreme competition for places.
I'm applying for sociology :smile: any other sociology applicants, pm me! Haven't been able to find anyone else so far..
Original post by a-fuchsia-elephant
I'm applying for History and International Relations, I'm a bit concerned because LSE says it doesn't like resits :/

Don't be concerned. Unless you've resat every single exam you've ever taken.
anyone gotten any acknowledgements from LSE yet?
Reply 157
Original post by Lomo_gurl

Yep, I did.
Reply 158
Original post by Lomo_gurl

Yep.
Original post by coffeeortea
oxford, lse,lse,ucl ,warwick:smile:

i applied for history and economics at oxford, brasenose college, what about you?

This is slightly creepy - I applied for almost the exact same unis: Oxford (brasenose), LSE, UCL and Warwick although I applied for two courses at UCL instead of LSE :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest