The Student Room Group
University of York
York

York Applicants 2012!!

Just thought I should create this as I can't find one already.
Post your GCSEs, AS's, A2 predictions, what you're applying for and why you have chosen (are choosing) York. Oh and your other choices as well.

Me:

GCSE: A*A*AAAABBBB
AS: AABB (History, Biology, Chemistry, Government & Politics) - 91% average in Hist
A2 predictions: AAA
Course: History single honours (V100)
Why: Top 10 for History, lovely old city, graduate prospects etc
Choices: York, Liverpool, Manchester, Birmingham, Queens Belfast (all for Hist)

UCAS is getting sent away on Monday :eek::eek::eek:

Scroll to see replies

GCSE: A*A*A*A*AAAAAB
AS: AABB (English Lit, Psychology, Economics & French,) exactly 90% in the two As xD
A2 predictions: A*A*A
Course: English/Linguistics
Why: 20th for English, flexible modules, equal credit for the combined course. A bit like you, lovely city, York recognised by future employers.

Choices: York, Sussex, UEA, Nottingham, Bristol

Haa, I changed my mind in the early hours of yesterday morning, Psychology to English. That really wasn't fun :rolleyes:
University of York
York
Reply 2
Original post by MakesMeWonder
GCSE: A*A*A*A*AAAAAB

Why: 20th for English

Are we? Not that I really follow league table ****ery but last time I remember we were definitely 5th...

(this is why I hate league tables)
Reply 3
Original post by Aeschylus
Are we? Not that I really follow league table ****ery but last time I remember we were definitely 5th...

(this is why I hate league tables)

Yeh league tables shouldn't be the basis of your top choices, rather the general prestige that a uni is held in by its employers. That said, departmental quality varies and subject specific league tables can be useful.
Reply 4
Original post by thetobbit
Yeh league tables shouldn't be the basis of your top choices, rather the general prestige that a uni is held in by its employers. That said, departmental quality varies and subject specific league tables can be useful.

Haha I'm a third year dude. Just got back from fresher's fair feeling very old indeed.

Here's the one I thought of: http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?s=English

TBH if there's such a vast disparity between league tables they're not worth it.

Good luck to y'all anyway. I'm applying for postgraduates so going through the whole rigamarole again.
Reply 5
GCSE: A*AAAAAAAAAB

did a btec in visual arts and design and got DDD

Course: Film & TV production

Why: loved the course, facilities are amazing, love the campus based collegiate feel and love yorkshire!!

Choices: York, Royal Holloway, Sheffield Hallam, Westminster, Staffordshire
Reply 6
GCSE: A*A*A*A*AAAAC
AS: AAABB (Politics, Geography, Economics, Physics, Critical Thinking)
A2 predictions: A*AA
Course: Politics and International relations
Why: Good uni

Choices: York, Durham, Exeter, Sheffield, Royal Holloway
I'm applying for Law.

Also applying to Cambridge, Queen Mary, Sussex and Lancaster.
Reply 8
I was looking for a York forum the other day and had no joy finding one and at that moment couldn't be bothered to set one up, but alas one has now already been started!!

I've applied for Music at York and received a conditional offer of ABB plus grade 8 flute with merit. :smile: My other choices are Bristol, Cambridge, Cardiff and Surrey :smile:
Original post by wren94

Original post by wren94
I've applied for Music at York and received a conditional offer of ABB plus grade 8 flute with merit. :smile: My other choices are Bristol, Cambridge, Cardiff and Surrey :smile:
Wooh an offer already! That's exciting :biggrin:
Reply 10
Original post by fluteflute
Wooh an offer already! That's exciting :biggrin:

Just a tad! :biggrin: haha :smile: I was very excited when I logged into track on Friday :lol: where have you applied to and what for? :smile:
Original post by wren94

Original post by wren94
Just a tad! :biggrin: haha :smile: I was very excited when I logged into track on Friday :lol: where have you applied to and what for? :smile:
Computer Science at Bath, Bristol, Imperial, Oxford and York :smile:

Are you doing your Grade 8 in the summer term, or before then?
Reply 12
Computer Science at Bath, Bristol, Imperial, Oxford and York :smile:

Are you doing your Grade 8 in the summer term, or before then?

Nice choices :smile: I wish Bath offered Music because it's such a lovely place, but I loved Bristol too :biggrin: Have you had a chance to go to Open Days for most of them?
I'm doing my grade 8 flute at Easter and did my grade 6 and 8 theory in January and June of this year respectively :biggrin: Have you done grade 8 flute?
GCSE: A*A*A*A*A*AAABC
AS: AAAAA (History, English Literature, Maths, Physics, General Studies)
Predictions: A*A*A*/a History Maths Physics, further maths AS
Course: Law
Choices: Oxford, Durham, Warwick, Exeter, York
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 14
I was looking for a thread on this the other day! Well done for being the one motivated enough to make it!

Course: Biochemistry :smile:

Why? : Loved York on the open day !!

Choices: York, Bath, Durham, Oxford, Imperial.
Reply 15
I sent off my UCAS on Thursday so thought should join this post :smile:

GCSE: A*A*A*A*A*A*A*AAAAAAB
AS: AAAAB (History, English Literature, Sociology, Geography, Critical Thinking)
A2 predictions: A*A*A (doing History, English Lit, Socio)
Why: Not a "party" city, just about the right distance from home, mostly lovely accommodation
Choices: York, Exeter, Cardiff, Cambridge, Southampton (all for Hist)

There's quite a lot of history applicants here already, that's nice :smile: We're usually the minority elsewhere :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by wren94
Nice choices :smile: I wish Bath offered Music because it's such a lovely place, but I loved Bristol too :biggrin: Have you had a chance to go to Open Days for most of them?
I'm doing my grade 8 flute at Easter and did my grade 6 and 8 theory in January and June of this year respectively :biggrin: Have you done grade 8 flute?
Thank you :smile: Yeah Bath was a lovely place, although at the open day the CS department was slightly overwhelming (I'm considering swapping Bath for Warwick - I haven't actually submitted all my choices yet, only Oxford and Bristol). Been to open days at Oxford, Bristol and Bath. Missed the Imperial one, and not going to bother trekking up to York (but will if I get an interview).

I'm doing mine in the summer :biggrin: It will four years since I took Grade 7 though so hopefully I can pull it off...
Reply 17
Thank you :smile: Yeah Bath was a lovely place, although at the open day the CS department was slightly overwhelming (I'm considering swapping Bath for Warwick - I haven't actually submitted all my choices yet, only Oxford and Bristol). Been to open days at Oxford, Bristol and Bath. Missed the Imperial one, and not going to bother trekking up to York (but will if I get an interview).

I'm doing mine in the summer :biggrin: It will four years since I took Grade 7 though so hopefully I can pull it off...

Oh that's a shame. I think an... unorganised? open day can make such a difference and put people right off a place. Good luck with your deciding!! :smile: I've been to Cambridge (for summer school), Cardiff and Bristol, but not York or Surrey. I'm thinking the same as you with York only with the going up for the Music day thing that they'll (hopefully) be running which'll be nice and Surrey was a kind of last minute fifth choice for me.

Best of luck for it! I'm sure that you'll do really well :smile: are you doing A-level music?
Woo York!

GCSE: A*A*A*A*A*A*AAAAA
AS: A - History (100%ums) A - English - A - Music - B -German (arghh)
A2 predictions: A*A*A (doing History, English, Music)
Why: It's a good uni and not too far away, but not too close!
Choices: Oxford, Bristol, York, Warick, Leeds
GCSE: A*A*A*A*A*A*A*AAAA
AS: AAABB (Biology, History, General Studies, Chemistry and Philosophy)
A2 predictions: AAA
Course: Philosophy single honours V500
Why: Really like York as a place and the university looks lovely too!
Choices: York, Liverpool, Durham, Reading, Oxford Brookes

Edit: Why was I negged? :frown: What did I do!?
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest