The Student Room Group
University of York
York

York Applicants 2012!!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by wren94
Oh that's a shame. I think an... unorganised? open day can make such a difference and put people right off a place. Good luck with your deciding!! :smile: I've been to Cambridge (for summer school), Cardiff and Bristol, but not York or Surrey. I'm thinking the same as you with York only with the going up for the Music day thing that they'll (hopefully) be running which'll be nice and Surrey was a kind of last minute fifth choice for me.

Best of luck for it! I'm sure that you'll do really well :smile: are you doing A-level music?
Yeah, I got to the Bath CS department, and their demonstrations just weren't set up... and when they got some of them working they were very underwhelming :tongue: I went to the Oxford summer school :biggrin:

Thank you, I'm sure you'll do brilliantly too. I did AS Music, but decided it would take too much effort to do A2 Music properly... I assume you are...!
University of York
York
I've applied to do nursing but my results aren't nearly as good as anyone elses here lol.
Reply 22
Original post by fluteflute
Yeah, I got to the Bath CS department, and their demonstrations just weren't set up... and when they got some of them working they were very underwhelming :tongue: I went to the Oxford summer school :biggrin:

Thank you, I'm sure you'll do brilliantly too. I did AS Music, but decided it would take too much effort to do A2 Music properly... I assume you are...!

My experience at Royal Holloway was very similar; the talks were filled about half an hour before they started for some of the subjects or general finance type things, displays weren't very enticing and I personally didn't get a great vibe about the place. Ooh nice :biggrin: enjoy it?

Aww thanks! :smile: yup, I'm doing A2 music believe it or not :L it's already more work than last year though :L but I enjoy it, so it's all good :smile:
Original post by wren94
My experience at Royal Holloway was very similar; the talks were filled about half an hour before they started for some of the subjects or general finance type things, displays weren't very enticing and I personally didn't get a great vibe about the place. Ooh nice :biggrin: enjoy it?

Aww thanks! :smile: yup, I'm doing A2 music believe it or not :L it's already more work than last year though :L but I enjoy it, so it's all good :smile:
Yeah the summer school was amazing. It was really hard though :tongue:

There was a really dull talk at Bristol about "why come to bristol" :tongue: But I loved the CS department so it was fine. It was a bit of the opposite at Bath...

You were born in 1994 and you have 94 posts on TSR :wink:
Reply 24
Sent my UCAS application off last Wednesday with York as one of my choices! :smile:

GCSE: A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*AAA

AS: AAAAA (Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Religious Studies, General Studies)

A2 predictions: A*A*A*A*A*

Course: Chemistry, Biological and Medicinal Chemistry with Year in Industry

Reasons for choosing York:

Great campus

Beautiful city

Friendly and enthusiastic staff

Interesting and well-run department open day

Industry placement in 4th year, rather than 3rd like most other universities

Other choices:

Cambridge (Biological Natural Sciences)

Nottingham (Medicinal and Biological Chemistry with an Assessed year in Industry)

Nottingham (Biochemistry and Biological Chemistry)

Leeds (Medicinal Chemistry with Year in Industry)

Additional information: I'm hoping to receive an offer (if I'm lucky enough) within the next week or two as York seem very good at giving out offers quite quickly. For chemistry, applicants are required to attend a post-application visit day (with an informal interview) but because I visited the department on one of their pre-application days (which are exactly the same as the post-app days) I don't have to go back and should get an offer soon. :biggrin:

Good luck to everyone else! :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 25
Original post by KingGoonIan
I've applied to do nursing but my results aren't nearly as good as anyone elses here lol.

don't worry i'm looking at this thread in fear at all the *'s i see
GCSE: A*A*A*A*BBBBCC
A-Level: Distinction, Distinction, Merit or AAB equivalent for Nat Dip in Health & Social Care (Cadet Nursing course)

Course: Bsc Adult Nursing
Why: It's the top University for Nursing
Choices: York, Birmingham City, Teeside, East Anglia & Sheffield Hallam
Original post by Joanna-Marie :)
GCSE: A*A*A*A*BBBBCC
A-Level: Distinction, Distinction, Merit or AAB equivalent for Nat Dip in Health & Social Care (Cadet Nursing course)

Course: Bsc Adult Nursing
Why: It's the top University for Nursing
Choices: York, Birmingham City, Teeside, East Anglia & Sheffield Hallam

I saw Surrey yesterday for Nursing and I have to say I was extremely impressed and think I would pick them over York now where as before York would've been my absolute favourite.
GCSE: 9A*s + 2 short course A*s
AS: AAAAA (did ICT as in year 11)
A2 predictions: A*A*A*A*
Course: Biology (C100)
Why: Not a big city, the course sounds really good, I like the possibility of a year in industry or a year in Europe, really liked the campus on the open day, also I like the extra provision for languages.
Choices: York, Oxford, Durham, Cardiff, Bath

even though it means nothing I'm excited to have my acknowledgement email :biggrin:
I saw Surrey yesterday for Nursing and I have to say I was extremely impressed and think I would pick them over York now where as before York would've been my absolute favourite.

Oh right, what did you like about Surrey?
York is my 3rd choice option, it seems a good university, i'm just not sure about certain things with it haha :rolleyes:
Original post by Joanna-Marie :)
Oh right, what did you like about Surrey?
York is my 3rd choice option, it seems a good university, i'm just not sure about certain things with it haha :rolleyes:

Just such a nice place, lovely campus, lovely people, great nursing facilities, great presentation on nursing, dnno just great great great I really wan go there naw like.
Reply 31
Just such a nice place, lovely campus, lovely people, great nursing facilities, great presentation on nursing, dnno just great great great I really wan go there naw like.

I have to agree with the 'lovely' aspect (no idea about the nursing :tongue:). York seems to have a reputation as a very friendly university. I think most students would argue that the people at their university are nice but all the staff at York seemed so friendly and interested. Obviously they're trying to sell their university and course but still, if I compare the staff at York to the staff at, say, Sheffield (no offence - my sister goes there :colondollar:) there's just no comparison! :biggrin:
Reply 32
out of interest, out of everyone who has posted who has york as their first choice?
Reply 33
omg everyone has so many A's for GCSE's
poor old me AABBBBBBCCC
AS - ABCC
A2 predictions ABB
social work, luckily need BBB
looks amazing but haven't visited yet, too far and have to interview so will see it then [if i get offered]
choices - york UEA keele bournemouth winchester
Reply 34
GCSE: 6A* 3A
AS: AAAAA (chemistry, maths, further maths, physics, biology)
A2 predictions: A*A*A*A* (chemistry, maths, further maths, physics)
Course: Chemistry (MChem)
Why: Top 10 for chemistry, nice city, good campus, collegiate sstem, good graduate prospects.
Choices: York, Durham, ICL, UCL and Bath

Any other chemists???
(edited 12 years ago)
Probably more of an average applicant than other people on this thread, but anyway.

GCSE: Modest
AS: BBBC (all high Bs, dropped the C)
A2 predictions: AAA
Course: Social and Political Sciences
Why: A very different city to where I come from, have family that live there, sort of a ''cosy'' campus, very limited numbers on my specific course, which I like.
Choices: York, Sheffield, Leeds, Exeter, Leicester
Gcses: 10A* 7A if u count BTEC as well. A in FSMQ
AS: AAAA (maths, further maths, physics, economics). B in Gen studs.
A2 predictions: A*A*A* and doing EPQ,dropped economics
Applied for maths
Why: only 45 mins away, nice city and top 10.
Other unis: cambridge, imperial, ucl and durham
Reply 37
Original post by fluteflute
Yeah the summer school was amazing. It was really hard though :tongue:

There was a really dull talk at Bristol about "why come to bristol" :tongue: But I loved the CS department so it was fine. It was a bit of the opposite at Bath...

You were born in 1994 and you have 94 posts on TSR :wink:

Ditto about mine too :L really brilliant though and met some amazing people there :smile:

I was signed up for that talk too but ended up not going and just going to the Music one instead :L haha and glad you enjoyed!

And no, that statistic is ruined *sigh*
Reply 38
Anyone who's worried about low GCSE and AS Level grades, bear in mind:

1. Grades, particularly GCSEs, are not the be-all and end-all of your application. AS grades are obviously a key factor but A2 predicted grades, your reference and your personal statment are probably all very important too.

2. Member of TSR are not representative of the general student population. Many applicants will have similar or lower GCSE (and AS Level) grades than you. You just won't find all of them here.

3. Your GCSEs and AS Levels are in the past now. There's nothing more to do than make sure your application is the best it can be. You probably offer more in other areas than some of the high-graded applicants anyway!

:smile:
Reply 39
GCSE: 6A* 5A
AS: AAAAB (Maths, Chemistry, Computing, Music, Physics)
A2 predictions: A*AAA (I think - school wouldn't tell me)
Course: Computer Science
Why: I love York :smile: and it's great for CompSci :smile:
Choices: York, Durham, ICL, Edinburgh, Sheffield

Quick Reply

Latest