Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Visit website

Open University Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 4620
Hello!

I'm studying a level 3 course and my exam is on tuesday. I'm really unprepared and just wondering does anyone know what happens if you fail an exam, and if it's possible to later retake it? Also what happens if you don't turn up to the exam, are you allowed to retake at the next sitting?
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Visit website
Reply 4621
Original post by bouncy

Original post by bouncy
Hello!

I'm studying a level 3 course and my exam is on tuesday. I'm really unprepared and just wondering does anyone know what happens if you fail an exam, and if it's possible to later retake it? Also what happens if you don't turn up to the exam, are you allowed to retake at the next sitting?

Generally, you need to score more than 15 in the exam to be allowed to resit. So if you just don't turn up you wouldn't be able to. If you get less than 15 you need to do the whole course again.
Reply 4622
Original post by bouncy
Hello!

If you get a resit, the resit would take place with the next intake of the module. So if there is only one start per year for that module then you would have to wait a year to resit it. You need to have passed the assignment section and get between 15 and 39% in the exam to qualify for a resit.
Reply 4623
Thank-you so much Juno and AnnB for your very prompt replies! I've passed the assignment section with what I consider a good mark, so annoyed at myself that my lack of exam prep will let all that hard work down. I think i'll be able to get at least 15% in the exam, so hopefully the whole thing won't be a complete waste of time!
I got a letter from OU saying that they're concerned about my module choices as 2 of them are primarily but not limited to nursing students. Because I however have access to a healthcare environment it should be fine. Also they're saying as I'm going to be doing four 30 credit modules I'm going to have to do at least 48 hours study a week Argh! Don't know where to start. Can't pull out and I don't want to. I need to get at least a 2:1 to go onto the further study I want to do. I was hoping to get a job at the same time but not sure i'd have the time even if it was part-time. Also need to have an op on my leg done so it seems like I'm going to have to be super organised. I hope I can do it. I'm determined to do it.
Yeah, I'm not surprised. They won't really be happy with someone doing four level 3 course. It seems a bit late to be red flagging you now though. Having said that, I think they sometimes overestimate the required study time. Some people can whip through book study. But the problem these days can be the collaborative work with other students or if you have to do a work based project. You can't always speed through them. But I think you know that the OU is not an easy option to get on to brick uni courses.
Reply 4626
Original post by Gridiron-Gangster
Also they're saying as I'm going to be doing four 30 credit modules I'm going to have to do at least 48 hours study a week

A little off-topic, but why do those four modules add up to 48 hours of study per week? Is it (as Nitebot indicated) because they're level-3 courses?

I wouldn't worry too much... Studying full-time and working part-time sounds manageable to me, unless your work is so demanding that you can barely drag yourself to study afterwards. :wink:
Reply 4627
Original post by moertel
A little off-topic, but why do those four modules add up to 48 hours of study per week? Is it (as Nitebot indicated) because they're level-3 courses?

I wouldn't worry too much... Studying full-time and working part-time sounds manageable to me, unless your work is so demanding that you can barely drag yourself to study afterwards. :wink:

I assume they are referring to the fact that at level 3, most students per 30 credits need to allow approx 12hours studying a week = 48 in total.......
Original post by Nitebot
Yeah, I'm not surprised. They won't really be happy with someone doing four level 3 course. It seems a bit late to be red flagging you now though. Having said that, I think they sometimes overestimate the required study time. Some people can whip through book study. But the problem these days can be the collaborative work with other students or if you have to do a work based project. You can't always speed through them. But I think you know that the OU is not an easy option to get on to brick uni courses.

True but I didn't want my university credits to go to waste and as a mature student I do want to get onto the job market sooner rather than later and I guess working hard for the OU degree if it means I can get my place on ny chosen course and university and go via the accelerated route, 6 months of ling hours and tight deadlines is a small price to pay. I hope.....
Original post by moertel

Yeah basically need to get an honours degree to meet the entry requirements for my course on top of the fact I just need a degree really.
Exam panic setting in
Original post by inksplodge
Exam panic setting in

Mine is tomorrow morning.. Pretty sure I should be panicking.. But I'm not :tongue:
Reply 4632
Exam panic setting in

Don't be such a cry baby Inksplodge, men do not panic, that we leave for women :tongue:

Wish you success in your exam(s) and may the force be with you :smile: .
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4633
Original post by alawhisp
Mine is tomorrow morning.. Pretty sure I should be panicking.. But I'm not :tongue:

Best wishes in your exam :smile: and may the force be with you :biggrin:
Original post by any_name
Best wishes in your exam :smile: and may the force be with you :biggrin:

Fanks :biggrin: I'll do some practice questions today.. Maybe try to write some case names on my eyelids.. I'm sure I'll be fine :tongue:
Original post by alawhisp

mines tomorrow afternoon! x.x
mines tomorrow afternoon! x.x

Ahh, try not to worry too much duck :smile: I'm sure it won't be as bad as you're thinking! Best of luck :penguinhug:
:eek3: ive got executive function, theory of mind and gender identity coming out of my ears. i wish national identity would stick too but it isnt
Last ever OU exam tomorrow afternoon! Dreading it, but can't wait to get it out of the way! Good luck to anyone with exams the rest of this week!
Original post by bufferz
Last ever OU exam tomorrow afternoon! Dreading it, but can't wait to get it out of the way! Good luck to anyone with exams the rest of this week!

ooh, no more exams ever?? :woo: i have one for u213 but depending on my final level 3 i mightn ot have any after that

Quick Reply