The Student Room Group
Our Student Central, Northumbria University
Northumbria University, Newcastle
Newcastle-upon-Tyne

Northumbria Applicants for 2012

Thought I'd start off a new thread considering there was one for last year. What courses are you applying for? And have you looked at accommodation yet, if so, which are you thinking of applying for?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I've applied for International Business & French! I haven't really looked at accommodation yet though! What about you?
Our Student Central, Northumbria University
Northumbria University, Newcastle
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Reply 2
Oh dear, this was me last year. If you have any questions regarding the halls, I live in Manor Bank, been to Albion House, Glenamara, New Bridge Street, Camden Court, and Victoria Halls. Good luck with your applications!
Reply 3
My application to study Law was sent today, I'm hoping to get Camden Court or Victoria Hall (I know city en-suite is just one choice).
Reply 4
Im applying to study English Literature, my application should be sent off tomorrow! Is it true that you cant choose your specific accomodation, you just choose what facilities you want and then the uni assign you to places according to that?
Northumbria will definitely be my first choice if I get an offer, and I want to stay at Albion House!
Reply 5
Original post by lizhaigh21
Is it true that you cant choose your specific accomodation, you just choose what facilities you want and then the uni assign you to places according to that?
Northumbria will definitely be my first choice if I get an offer, and I want to stay at Albion House!

It's not exactly true - you have to choose at least 4 options for accomodation. All the non-ensuite options count as a choice but the ensuite are all put together under the name "City Ensuite".

So you could put Albion House as your first choice (as it isn't ensuite) and then pick three other options, whereas with my first choice being Camden Court I would have to put "City Ensuite" which covers all the ensuite accomodation on/around City Campus. There is a box for me to ask for Camden Court though.
Reply 6
I'm applying for a few courses at Northumbria, all business related. And hoping to either stay in Camden Court or Victoria Halls.
Reply 7
I'm applying for Psychology, hoping to stay in Camden Court :smile:
I'm applying for Law at Northumbria in 2012. Not sure where the best halls are though.

Do these sound like good choices?

Sussex, Northumbria, Hull, UClan, Chester (in that order, although I really like Northumbria)

Thing is, i'm worried because i'm resitting my GCSE Maths and Northumbria want a grade C but I want Northumbria as my firm choice (if i get accepted!)

Thanks
Reply 9
Original post by FallonSmith
I'm applying for Law at Northumbria in 2012. Not sure where the best halls are though.

Do these sound like good choices?

Sussex, Northumbria, Hull, UClan, Chester (in that order, although I really like Northumbria)

Thing is, i'm worried because i'm resitting my GCSE Maths and Northumbria want a grade C but I want Northumbria as my firm choice (if i get accepted!)

Thanks

Whether those are good choices or not depends on what grades you think you'll get and what you want in a uni.

If you're predicted to get ABB at A-level and a C in GCSE Maths then there's no reason not to apply. What do you have at GCSE now, do you need much higher?

And don't worry about not knowing which halls to apply for yet, you can't apply for accomodation until around mid-January anyway, and you need to get your offers and choose your firm and insurance first. If you do want to have a look anyway they are listed on the left-hand side here: http://www.northumbria.ac.uk/brochure/facilities/acc/halls/?view=Standard
Original post by StacFace
Whether those are good choices or not depends on what grades you think you'll get and what you want in a uni.

If you're predicted to get ABB at A-level and a C in GCSE Maths then there's no reason not to apply. What do you have at GCSE now, do you need much higher?

And don't worry about not knowing which halls to apply for yet, you can't apply for accomodation until around mid-January anyway, and you need to get your offers and choose your firm and insurance first. If you do want to have a look anyway they are listed on the left-hand side here: http://www.northumbria.ac.uk/brochure/facilities/acc/halls/?view=Standard

Thank you. I've currently got a D in GCSE Maths. I'll have a look at the accomodation now darling.
Reply 11
Applied for Law, I sent my application on the 10th of october, Havent gotten anything yet -.-
Does anyone know when we will usually start getting a reply from them?
Reply 12
Original post by chelsentus
Applied for Law, I sent my application on the 10th of october, Havent gotten anything yet -.-
Does anyone know when we will usually start getting a reply from them?

Mine was sent two days after you (also for Law) and I got an e-mail acknowledgement on 17th but haven't had anything since. Based on last year's thread people who applied in September/October were getting offers in November, spread throughout the month.

Since they open accommodation applications in mid-January I would guess that they do send quite a few offers in November/December, so that there will actually be people able to apply for accomodation at that point. I've also heard they're quite quick compared to other unis to respond, so for that reason as well I would guess November, maybe December.
Reply 13
I'm applying for Design for Industry. Still finishing up my personal statement and portfolio for the course. Does anyone know if the school actually has a foundation year? I've searched at the website and didn't find any mention of it. Maybe I missed it or is there just none at all?
Reply 14
Original post by stesani
I'm applying for Design for Industry. Still finishing up my personal statement and portfolio for the course. Does anyone know if the school actually has a foundation year? I've searched at the website and didn't find any mention of it. Maybe I missed it or is there just none at all?

If it's not on the site then they won't do it, I've just had a look and it appears it's a normal 3 year degree but over 4 years because you spend a year on placement, but there isn't a foundation year. It doesn't say you need a foundation degree though in the entry requirements.
Reply 15
My application was sent off on the 21st October, and I recieved a conditional offer yesterday! So happy!
Reply 16
My application was sent off on the 21st October, and I recieved a conditional offer yesterday! So happy!

Congratulations! :smile:
That must be very exciting. Did you have an interview?
Reply 17

Congrats! Do you know if you'll choose it as either firm/insurance yet?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 18
I've applied for Law. Hoping for an offer. :smile:
I'm applying for Information Systems and Information Technology for Management Business. I haven't sent it off yet.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending