The Student Room Group

Is it worth leaving Imperial?

So I' just finished my 1st year at Imperial reading Physics, and I enjoy the university, I made some good friends, but not so much the course, which I find dull.
After my 1st year I decided that I wasn't enjoying it, and would much rather study Economics. Economics was taught poorly at school and I didn't enjoy it, but I've been doing my own reading into it extensively and its something that I'd definitely prefer.
My first issue is how Oxford looks at 'dropouts' and whether its frowned upon, as such I may not really be considered.

I also have the issue of having to apply next year, so by the time I'll start studying I'll be 21(which makes me sound really old :/).

So if I do decide to do this I'll have the next 2 years off, which isn't ideal at all, but I'll be working to earn some money, and also I'll spend 6-12months at a Barrister's Chambers doing work experience, which might be something good to have on my CV/application.

My main issues are, whether or not I stand a chance, having to wait till I'm old..er.

As for academic stuff, I have A*A*AA at Maths, Physics, F.maths, and Chem, and A at AS Econ. although I plan on completing the other half alongside with History next year.
GCSE's are A*A*AAAABBB, not sure what in.
Make sure you only do it because you want to do Economics not because you want to attend a more prestigious university. Otherwise its a big waste of time.
Original post by University Snob

Original post by University Snob
Make sure you only do it because you want to do Economics not because you want to attend a more prestigious university. Otherwise its a big waste of time.
Yeah, this. You can't be sure of getting into Oxford.

(And did you know that Oxford don't offer a straight economics degree? You have to take a joint honours degree.)

Quick Reply

Latest