The Student Room Group

Law Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by IAMchocolatee
Should I even bother to apply for Law?
My A2 didn't go to plan. I was seriously ill, I had an operation during the exam season and I messed up. I got BBB. I am re-taking a unit from each course.

I am crapping myself because I want to do Law, I want to apply for LSE, Warwick, Nottingham, UCL etc. But I just feel like I will be rejected. I really wish I wasn't sick. I have medical letters literally explaining the how my condition affected my performance.

I just don't know. I wish I could anonymous this post because I know almost all of you will grill me and hammer down the low-self esteem I already have.

But honestly, I don't want to do anything other than Law.

Should I just give up whilst I am already behind?

Why didn't you ask for special consideration for your A levels?
Original post by nulli tertius
Why didn't you ask for special consideration for your A levels?

I did.
Original post by IAMchocolatee
I did.

Then aren't you double counting if you had the exam board give you credit for an illness, but then want universities also to give you credit for the same illness by ignoring the fact that your A levels include a resit?
hi guys!
anyone know how long it takes universities that use the LNAT to start making offers? I've applied to Oxford, Durham and Nottingham (LNAT) and Warwick and Reading (non-LNAT) but i'm just wondering when I should start expecting offers/rejections as Oxford, Durham and Nottingham are my top 3 choices!?
Bump.
Reply 1005
hey :smile: just signed up to this...

applying for Law 2012... KCL UCL QMUL Surrey and Cardiff but for Law&Politics.
Predicted A*AAA .
sent off UCAS about 2 weeks ago and took my LNAT today. No offers yet ... UCAS Track is becoming my life :biggrin:

Good Luck to everyone :biggrin: xxxxxxxx
Original post by daisy05
Woo! :smile: How're you finding Cambridge?

It's INCREDIBLY intense. I'd heard that before I got here and I always assumed that people were exaggerating but it genuinely is crazy! However, it most definitely is work hard/play hard and I'm having the time of my life. Sleep is practically non-existent but you get used to it really quickly!

You genuinely have picked the best college and if you do get in then you'll be in for an awesome time!
Reply 1007
Is anyone else feeling the stress waiting for offers/rejections?
I keep having dreams about it all! One where I scored 11 on the LNAT (would not surprise me at all! :colondollar:) and one last night where offers were given out like exam results in envelopes and I went to every table looking for my offers but I was rejected from every Uni (also wouldn't surprise me!:lol:).
Am I just insane?!

Apart from that, what does everyone think of my UCAS strategy?
I'm post A level (didn't apply last year as I wanted a gap year) and got A*AAA + A* GS and 10.5 A* 1A at GCSE.
I applied to:
Oxford (Keble)
UCL
Bristol
Warwick

I've only used 4 choices to kind of hedge my bets in case my LNAT was really dreadful (I think it was). So after seeing what rejections/offers I get I plan to add a kind of insurance choice (possibly Exeter) or another gamble (KCL- I want to be in London!)
Is this a great idea or very stupid?
Should I just add another choice now (probably Exeter) even though my application was sent on the 10th Oct?

Also, as another kind of insurance choice, what is the general view of York? I know it's only in its infancy so there's not much official feedback but do we have anyone who knows what it's like? I know it's a great Uni and all...just curious.

Sorry for the long, rambling essay :smile:
Reply 1008
Why didn't you apply for deferred entry last year?
Reply 1009
Original post by Jeebus42
Why didn't you apply for deferred entry last year?

I wasn't completely sure that a Law degree was what I wanted to do and I had a lot going on at the time I should have been applying so I decided to leave it till this year. It would have been better if I'd have applied last year as I was predicted 5 A*s but oh well :/ that's how it goes :smile:
But anyway, do you have an opinion on anything I've asked? :smile:
Reply 1010
Original post by Bea492
I wasn't completely sure that a Law degree was what I wanted to do and I had a lot going on at the time I should have been applying so I decided to leave it till this year. It would have been better if I'd have applied last year as I was predicted 5 A*s but oh well :/ that's how it goes :smile:
But anyway, do you have an opinion on anything I've asked? :smile:

Ah right, was just curious.

As for your initial post, I think your chances with Oxford are good, given how your GCSE's are essentially spotless and you've already surpassed their requirements. Then again, the LNAT will probably be the determining factor if there are other similar candidates. The sames goes for Bristol/UCL, though even if you do perform lower than others, the rest of your academic profile and presumably your PS, should compensate for that. Bristol seem to weigh things up equally when giving out offers; they have a points system or something and wouldn't have strict cut off points as UCL supposedly do. Given how you got the grades I don't think your choices were bad, as I'd have probably done the same. You never really know how you did on the LNAT, so that may suprise you.

I also think your chances with Warwick are high, providing your PS is up to scratch. If I were you I'd probably add another choice soon enough (maybe not KCL, if you really are sure you did bad in the LNAT), as if you do so in late November/December when offers might come in, tutors will probably be giving out fewer offers, after having given outt a handful already.
Reply 1011
Original post by Jeebus42
Ah right, was just curious.

As for your initial post, I think your chances with Oxford are good, given how your GCSE's are essentially spotless and you've already surpassed their requirements. Then again, the LNAT will probably be the determining factor if there are other similar candidates. The sames goes for Bristol/UCL, though even if you do perform lower than others, the rest of your academic profile and presumably your PS, should compensate for that. Bristol seem to weigh things up equally when giving out offers; they have a points system or something and wouldn't have strict cut off points as UCL supposedly do. Given how you got the grades I don't think your choices were bad, as I'd have probably done the same. You never really know how you did on the LNAT, so that may suprise you.

I also think your chances with Warwick are high, providing your PS is up to scratch. If I were you I'd probably add another choice soon enough (maybe not KCL, if you really are sure you did bad in the LNAT), as if you do so in late November/December when offers might come in, tutors will probably be giving out fewer offers, after having given outt a handful already.

That's okay! :smile:
Hmm I'm pretty sure Oxford will reject me before interview but I'll be okay with that. I think I'd prefer living in a lively city (so hoping for Bristol or UCL!) Unfortunately, I genuinely think my essay was worse than my multiple choice. I really have no idea what my score will be, it could be anything as I'm sure everyone else feels, but my essay was TERRIBLE! Literally wrote one point and restated it in every paragraph. :s-smilie:

Warwick would be nice though so I'd at least have a good Uni to go to! It's a pity they offer so late!
As for another choice, where would you recommend? I'm thinking probably non-LNAT as 4 LNATs is just a bit too risky and I'm not planning on another gap year!
So yeah, Exeter or York? Or other? I'd go for LSE but my A* is not a preferred subject so I think I pretty much have no chance and would just be a waste.

Where are you applying if you don't mind me asking? Or are you already at Uni?
Reply 1012
Original post by dr.phalange
:argh:

Why can't you just answer my question?

I was wondering if I would need to do this instead of waiting until August to have my place confirmed.

Well you have the grades so it is confirmed. :s-smilie:
Reply 1013
Original post by Bea492
Is anyone else feeling the stress waiting for offers/rejections?
I keep having dreams about it all! One where I scored 11 on the LNAT (would not surprise me at all! :colondollar:) and one last night where offers were given out like exam results in envelopes and I went to every table looking for my offers but I was rejected from every Uni (also wouldn't surprise me!:lol:).
Am I just insane?!

Apart from that, what does everyone think of my UCAS strategy?
I'm post A level (didn't apply last year as I wanted a gap year) and got A*AAA + A* GS and 10.5 A* 1A at GCSE.
I applied to:
Oxford (Keble)
UCL
Bristol
Warwick

I've only used 4 choices to kind of hedge my bets in case my LNAT was really dreadful (I think it was). So after seeing what rejections/offers I get I plan to add a kind of insurance choice (possibly Exeter) or another gamble (KCL- I want to be in London!)
Is this a great idea or very stupid?
Should I just add another choice now (probably Exeter) even though my application was sent on the 10th Oct?

Also, as another kind of insurance choice, what is the general view of York? I know it's only in its infancy so there's not much official feedback but do we have anyone who knows what it's like? I know it's a great Uni and all...just curious.

Sorry for the long, rambling essay :smile:

Yes I'm stressed too haha! But looking at your grades I really don't think that you'll have any problems!!!!! Good luck :smile:
I need to send off my ucas as soon as possible and i'm really stuck for choice! I've been researching lots of Universities but i'm not really aiming for the top ones as they are asking for AAA and i'm predicted ABB. My choices i'm happy with so far are Sussex, Northumbria, and Hull. I'm resitting some of my AS Modules and GCSE Maths. I'm not sure whether I should apply to Chester, Sheffield Hallam or Central Lancashire. I live near Central Lancashire, about half an hour away so that may feel as though I haven't really 'fled the nest' as many people I know go there :/ Choices, choices, choices. Please help! x
Reply 1015
Original post by FallonSmith
I'm not sure whether I should apply to Chester, Sheffield Hallam or Central Lancashire. I live near Central Lancashire, about half an hour away so that may feel as though I haven't really 'fled the nest' as many people I know go there :/ Choices, choices, choices. Please help! x

I’ve been to visit both Chester and Sheffield Hallam. Out of those two I would pick Sheffield Hallam, didn’t like Chester at all. Plus Sheffield Hallam is probably a better location.

--------------

I've finally been given my predicted grades, which (after much pleading I have to say) are A*AA, so that puts me on track for all my universities. My original choices have changed slightly, I’m now going for…
Manchester (Law with Criminology) AAA + LNAT
Birmingham (Law) AAA/A*AB + LNAT
Sheffield (Law and Criminology) AAB
De Montfort (Law) 320 points
Nottingham Trent (Law with Criminology) 280 points

I’m a bit worried though because I heard someone say that if you apply to places that have a much lower entry requirement than what you’re predicted they’re likely to reject you because they think you’re never going to pick them. I was relying on De Montfort and Nottingham Trent to give me an offer. Is it possible they’ll reject me on the basis of my predicted grades being quite a lot higher than I need?
Reply 1016
Original post by daisy05
Yes I'm stressed too haha! But looking at your grades I really don't think that you'll have any problems!!!!! Good luck :smile:

Oh thanks! I'm really not feeling confident especially with the LNAT and all but I guess we'll just have to wait and see. Good luck to you too :smile: I guess we'll start hearing things in the next month...scary!
A bit pissed off - application has not been sent off by the school, actually the references haven't even been attached, and its half term. Great, now I have to wait another week... :frown:

Good luck everyone, I'm sure there will be good offers all around.
Reply 1018
Original post by Thegoodleftundone
A bit pissed off - application has not been sent off by the school, actually the references haven't even been attached, and its half term. Great, now I have to wait another week... :frown:

Good luck everyone, I'm sure there will be good offers all around.

Don't worry too much about it :smile:. And if you're applying to LNAT uni's, most start to look at LNAT scores from the beginning of November onwards, so it's all good.
Oxford (St. John's)
LSE
UCL
King's College London
Warwick

Only predicted 4A's + Welsh Baccalaureate (counts as an A, I think)

However, think I got a strong personal statement to make up for it I guess :P

Acknowledgements from all the universities, got a email from St. John's yesterday. They are "testing" if email address given are valid !

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending