The Student Room Group

The Barbelles Society: Ladies Who Lift

Scroll to see replies

Original post by shorty.loves.angels
Some guys too!

Becca is already an ex-mod so she has proven awesomeness if she wants to do it...
Original post by GQ.
Agree with Michael. Jennifer Aniston is looking amazing. 42 you say? Great think of the experience she must have :colone:

But I still would. Harder than almost anything my age, too.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by aivi
Can't remember exactly but I think I started squatting with 40kg or so? And did 75kg just on Friday. This and overall numbers will depend a lot on bodyweight (and fitness history), so there isn't much point in comparing with others.
I haven't been training very consistently, since lifting is just some training on the side, with boxing being the priority. I did about January-March trying to go to the gym at least twice a week, then stopped, then did April-June with 3/week approx. Then had another long break during the summer, and didn't really do anything, and started lifting again a month or so ago.
Besides the beginner gains, that you usually get early on just with finally getting your form right etc. I haven't really made much progress. I'm hoping to change that with a more consistent training plan, that actually includes target weights and not just sets&reps.
The times when I've felt like I haven't gotten anywhere have been numerous, but I also know the cause of them, so I'm not too frustrated.

If you want more of an idea of people's progress, go check out Becca's or anyone else's fitness blogs. I think Becca's blog is really good, since she's been consistent with her training (and blogging), so you can see the results of hard work.

You started off squatting 40kg?! That's..a lot! :eek: Especially considering it's something you do on the side. I think I just get frustrated really easily and expect too much too quickly. I will definitely check out some training blogs, hopefully they'll keep me motivated. Thanks for the response!

Original post by Becca

As aivi said, everybody is different so it's not much use comparing. My bodyweight hasn't changed much since I started lifting, but composition has. I definitely have a lot more muscle and a lot less fat. I can feel my abs now, although it will be a while til they're visible, if that ever happens! I've been training almost solely with weights for just over a year now. I started off doing the 3 core power lifts (squat, bench deadlift). When I first started, squatting the bar was hard, benching the bar needed a spotter and was hard and deadlift I could do about 40kg. In May/June I squatted 75kg, benched 50kg and deadlifted 115kg. I haven't trained deadlift or bench since summer now because I've been focusing on olympic lifting, but the other week I squatted 85kg, which is over bodyweight :biggrin:

Yes, there are definitely times when I feel like crap and that I'm not making progress, but writing that up now shows that I have! When you plateau there is always stuff you can do, you can look at your technique, change your programme, change your training focus. There will be rubbish days (I had one on Thursday...) but overall it's so much fun that you tend to forget them!

Congratulations on squatting 85kg! It must be a huge motivating factor being able to see how far you've progressed. I think you started off in a better position than me but you were probably a lot fitter and stronger to begin with. I'm not going to lie, I used to think a 5kg dumbbell was really heavy. I picked it up and thought..what's the next one down and realised it didn't exist/we didn't have it haha. But that is no longer the case, which is something I suppose. I will try changing my training routine because I think maybe I'm getting a bit bored with it..Thanks for your help! :h:
Reply 2983
I nominate Becca as well, I don't really have time (already spend way too much time here/on the internetz) to spare.

Weird weird day today. Haven't eaten anything except a large latte in the morning an a muesli bar on the tube back home. Had to spend 7h straight in the library fighting with Excel (couldn't go for a lunch break, since then someone might have taken over the computer) and then went for a good 40min run with the guys from boxing. I run the sessions now, but usually we have some of the more experienced guys pacing us..quite proud of us for keeping up a good tempo going throughout :h:

Now I need to eat something, stretch my calves and go to sleep. Still loads of work to do tomorrow before the 4pm deadline :s-smilie:
40kg squat is what i started on as well... For the first month or two of my lifting i was just trying to catch up to the girls in this thread.

Took me ages to catch up with Becca, she's a machine...
Reply 2985
Original post by MHorman
40kg squat is what i started on as well... For the first month or two of my lifting i was just trying to catch up to the girls in this thread.

Took me ages to catch up with Becca, she's a beastly machine...

fixed it for you.
I don't think that British girls like to be called beasts or said to be beastly.
Original post by aivi
I nominate Becca as well, I don't really have time (already spend way too much time here/on the internetz) to spare.

Shame :smile: But totally understandable
Reply 2988
Original post by Smack
I don't think that British girls like to be called beasts or said to be beastly.

check her sig.
40kg to start? Crap. I was struggling with the 15kg bar! So useless. Hoping to do the 20kg bar at least once on my own for everything this week. Got a session tomorrow, and hopefully one friday morning- I'm still beginning so I don't want to over do it.

Though I probably will. Stupid hard headed me!
Original post by skunky x
40kg to start? Crap. I was struggling with the 15kg bar! So useless. Hoping to do the 20kg bar at least once on my own for everything this week. Got a session tomorrow, and hopefully one friday morning- I'm still beginning so I don't want to over do it.

I only started squatting 22.5kg ... but I am a massive wimp :tongue:
40kg to start? Crap. I was struggling with the 15kg bar!

That's because if you haven't played sports or anything then your body will not be used to being in such positions so you won't have any strength in them. Could also be a primarily balance or flexibility issue, rather than a strength one, although girls tend to have very good flexibility and also body awareness too (by body awareness I mean the positions that different parts of their bodies are occupying in space, particularly the parts that cannot be seen in a mirror).

I also started off doing about 15kg. A 10kg bar and some very small plates each side. And now I can do 185kg, so anyone can get significantly stronger.
Reply 2992

Take into account that I've always been active and quite strong, and had been training boxing for half a year by then. Plus, I weigh 65kg, so probs more than you :smile:

I'm really itching to go do some lifting, but I probably won't have time until Friday, since I've got uni stuff or other training every day.
Original post by FelixFelicis

Congratulations on squatting 85kg! It must be a huge motivating factor being able to see how far you've progressed. I think you started off in a better position than me but you were probably a lot fitter and stronger to begin with. I'm not going to lie, I used to think a 5kg dumbbell was really heavy. I picked it up and thought..what's the next one down and realised it didn't exist/we didn't have it haha. But that is no longer the case, which is something I suppose. I will try changing my training routine because I think maybe I'm getting a bit bored with it..Thanks for your help! :h:

Tbh I highly doubt I did start in a better position than you! I had never done any resistance training before. I used to swim competitively as a youngster (til I was about 16) and go running a bit, but when i started lifting last year I was very weak and unfit. I had just done 2 years teacher training so barely had any time to sleep, let alone exercise. If you lift consistently for a while you will make swift progress. Lift that 5kg dumbell regularly and it won't be long before you want 10kgs, and then 20kgs!

Original post by Smack

I do :colone:

Keep training consistently and you will soon be at 40kg. Don't forget to spend time n recovery exercises too, though!

EDIT: still ill. Checked my throat and have loads of pustules, one is an attractive black colour :colone: Going to the Dr later though.
Thanks guys- feel better now. Itching for my next Gym session on wednesday now the DOMS has gone.
Got some protein baking powder the other day. Anyone got any recipes?
Reply 2996
Original post by Becca
Got some protein baking powder the other day. Anyone got any recipes?

Protein baking powder. As in protein powder to bake with or protein powder with bicarb in lol?
Original post by GQ.
Protein baking powder. As in protein powder to bake with or protein powder with bicarb in lol?

Yeah protein to bake with heh.
Original post by Becca

That is pretty cool! Ive never heard of it before.
Reply 2999
Original post by Becca

Was going to say if it had bicarb in it be careful not to mix it up with normal protein. Foamy mouth ftw :wink:

Also you can just bake with normal protein powder afaik.

Quick Reply

Latest