Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

Moo! Job and global warming ...

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    FF to 24:30

(though there's talk about dark matter before)
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mind Tool)
    [/youtube]
    I love meeting people like you face to face, you raise the same old straw-men (wrong ideas) to attack, if you watch the first part of the vid. I pointed to you may see what I mean, though it may suit you to carry on laughing at the straw man.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Seeing as you've asked for the thread that has been replied to to be deleted (poor show), here's my reply again!

Spoiler:
    Show

MMMOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Spoiler:
    Show
    Apologies, only Forest fans will get that...

Seriously, you take that seriously?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NJA)
    I love meeting people like you face to face, you raise the same old straw-men (wrong ideas) to attack, if you watch the first part of the vid. I pointed to you may see what I mean, though it may suit you to carry on laughing at the straw man.
    alright watched it, thought it may be different to the usual crap, it did raise some half decent points.

so cows enjoy doing heavy labor for their owners? interesting, don't really know about cow behaviorism so wont comment, but his comment about people mainly using them as food, in most developing countries ox are still used a lot more than horses for the labor he was describing.

He is right about the green house gases, and the FAO did a study a while ago that states that the livestock sector is "responsible for 18% of greenhouse gas emissions" (not just cows but they do play a large part)

God gave us a perfectly designed planet? tell that to the dinosaurs

Ok up to 27.36. Now he is talking about reducing the anthropogenic effect on our climate, Some of his ideas are a little strange but not bad.

Now i have a problem, "god has designed the planet and all its life so us humans would never have to make a sacrifice of ethics in order to do the appropriately economically beneficial thing, the optimal ethics would be consistent with the optical economics"

is this man high? economically beneficial means done in a way that involves careful use of money or resources: "the new building was erected economically" right? economical and ethics are two things that are at constant loggerheads, its economical for companies to pay 3rd world kids a few pence a day to make their products, that is optimal economics, would you say its also optimal ethics?

Sahara and Gobi desert i am going to ignore as their expansion at such an alarming rate is a lot more to do with people breeding like rabbits and as a result farming more, not really to do with climate change (it may effect it slightly but it is not causing the massive expansion any where near as much as other factors)

We have been sacrificing ethics for our own economical wellbeing since...forever, we care more about ourselves than we do about others, thats human nature. And how looking at the world he can say that with a straight face is beyond me.

there is a difference between how some reptiles and mammals act and respond to humans? Yes well done, this is because god has created them to be servants to humans? The arrogance is astounding, you really are not that important and those creatures act like that because they evolved those characteristics over millions upon millions of years for their own needs not for ours...and his talk about these animals providing pleasure makes me worry for the ostriches.

greatest debate that ever took place....really? all i got from that book was a story about a tyrant deciding to punish an innocent man (in lets face it horrendous ways), let him wonder why he has been punished, then tells him he has no right to question why he has been punished, then gives him some new children (not like hes gonna miss the old ones)

The book of job is actually one of the main reasons i rejected god, because even if i believed he existed, what kind of benevolent god has such a blatant disrespect for human life? because he created us he can kill us at will? because he is more powerful than us we have no right to question him and should just accept anything he wants? Thats not a benevolent god, thats a tyrant. Your parents created you is it ok if one of them shoots you in the face? How any Christians can take a good message from that book is astounding.

Alright watched it all, not going to say he is an idiot because quite honestly his purpose is to create a better living situation for humans on earth where we live quite happily and don't screw up the planet, i can dig it.

But the only biblical thing he does is use the book of job to state the obvious, the concept of man living in harmony with nature goes back a long time, way before job. The idea of ostriches? In that part of the world ostriches were used for meat, if they are more beneficial than cows in terms of cost and anthropogenic effect is something i have no idea about, but one point i will raise is if their meat can be produced cheaper (1/5th of the cost he claims) then why have farmers in the west not been doing this for years?

Sorry but this is simply another religious person jumping on some small passages that could be seen as a reference to a modern day event and using it to sell a book.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    I thought scholars agreed that the Book of Job is an allegorical tale of ethical teachings; not historical whatsoever.

The Book of Job does not deal with science. It's an ethical tale. And the "darkness" in Job is not geographical, but related to darkness and light as eschatological concepts, similar to the light and darkness mentioned by the Essenes and the Egyptians at Khemenu: the sons of light and darkness, the sons and daughters and mothers who made the light. The darkness of inertia and the light of the presence of the divine beings in Anu.
    • 25 followers

ReputationRep:
    "What's that Jesus, you want me to kill every cow in the world? WELL ALRIGHTY THEN, LORD."
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    ...so cows enjoy doing heavy labor for their owners? interesting, don't really know about cow behaviorism so wont comment, but his comment about people mainly using them as food, in most developing countries ox are still used a lot more than horses for the labor he was describing.
    I need to read the book as I guess what we call "cows" the ancients would call "cattle", all animals in that "kind" / genre / species, male & female

He is right about the green house gases, and the FAO did a study a while ago that states that the livestock sector is "responsible for 18% of greenhouse gas emissions" (not just cows but they do play a large part)
    + the big fact that huge areas of forest have been cleared to create grazing land.

God gave us a perfectly designed planet? tell that to the dinosaurs
    You project human desires onto lizards.
    Perfectly designed like a child's room - to learn what needs to be learned to progress to "the new heaven & the new earth".

... its economical for companies to pay 3rd world kids a few pence a day to make their products, that is optimal economics, would you say its also optimal ethics?
    If the resources were used properly and there truly was a free market there wouldn't be need for exploitation.

there is a difference between how some reptiles and mammals act and respond to humans? Yes well done, this is because god has created them to be servants to humans? The arrogance is astounding,
    You have missed the point that some animals fulfil their potential when husbanded by humans. I think you should read the book - heb cites latest Uni research on this.

greatest debate that ever took place....really? all i got from that book was a story about a tyrant deciding to punish an innocent man
    That says more about you than the book.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Martyn*)
    I thought
    U thought wrong.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NJA)
    U thought wrong.
    The Book of Job definately is an allegorical ethical teaching. There's no science in it at all. The scientist/theologians of America are interpreting the text to coincide with their own scientific beliefs. You cannot do that.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Martyn*)
    There's no science in it at all. ...
    So the observations it makes about astronomy, meteorology, geology & zoology are not science?

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 25, 2011
New on TSR

Personal statement help

Use our clever tool to create a PS you're proud of.

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.