The Student Room Group
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website

Foundation Science at UEA - Your experience and feedback please

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Original post by GGecko
Where'd you find your timetable online?...Mine seems blank the one I am looking at when you click student, then timetable in month view..is blank for october.

I did the same thing except I did November.
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website
Reply 121
Original post by Jakelee
I did the same thing except I did November.

Got my timetable now, 13 hours a week so far, but not sure where the maths module is ?... not on there yet, I assume that will be updated after they know what group we're in...have you got the same issue?
Reply 122
Original post by GGecko
Got my timetable now, 13 hours a week so far, but not sure where the maths module is ?... not on there yet, I assume that will be updated after they know what group we're in...have you got the same issue?

I got 14, and a 9:00 start on Wednesday morning. Nooooooooooooooo!

I thought Group X, etc, were the maths ones.
mine doesn't show anything until 31st october..looks confusing too.
Reply 124
It can't be that bad surely? Do you two have all labs on Wednesday?
This is only half the timetable. Remember you still have an additional 3 modules to choose from. The mentioned lessons are the modules from the cumpulsory list.
Reply 126
Original post by mrdoovde1
This is only half the timetable. Remember you still have an additional 3 modules to choose from. The mentioned lessons are the modules from the cumpulsory list.

Looks like a heavy week in terms of hours then!
Reply 127
Original post by mrdoovde1

According to the UEA website, the additional lessons only come in in Semester 2?

What I mean is, in Semester 1, we have to do bio, chem, physics and maths and then in Semester 2, we choose three to take further....
Original post by Jakelee
According to the UEA website, the additional lessons only come in in Semester 2?

What I mean is, in Semester 1, we have to do bio, chem, physics and maths and then in Semester 2, we choose three to take further....

Ok errm my bad I go it wrong. The timetable shows the 3 compulsory modules we take i.e. bio, chem and physics. We then also have to choose only 1 more module out of a list which comprises of maths. So the timetable is yet to show then additional maths module we choose. https://www.uea.ac.uk/che/courses/bsc-science-(with-a-foundation-year)#profile

Also, the timetable is confusing, on some days, some modules time clash for example on one of the days it says:
09:00-13:00 CHE-0B31 - LAB

09:00-13:00 CHE-0P31 - LAB

:confused:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 129
The labs are rotated. You are split into 3 groups. On Wed mornings, one group does bio, one physics and one chemistry. Swap weekly.
Reply 130
hey guysss... i hav got BCCD for my AS.. i did bio chem maths n socio... i got a D for sociology so I dropped tht subject and have carried on with bio chem and maths... my teachers have predicted me BCC .. what are the chances of me getting in the foundation course... I really really want to do the foundation course because it tkes me time to settle in a new place n stuff like tht.. so i really think foundation yr is perfect for me.. wot r their entry requirements.. i want to study pharmacy after doin the foundation yr btw
Reply 131
Original post by JayAce
It starts off real simple... "What is an atom?" kinda stuff! lol

But quickly gets into a low-level mix of organic, inorganic and physical chemistry which ties in with the bio and phys too.

If you're real interested I could send ya a selection of notes, PM if so :smile:

Original post by Jakelee
I would really appreciated that thank you. Still don't have microsoft word on my laptop yet though lol.

Original post by bambamty
alright man, i'm doing the same course as you but for physics, where have you apllied?

Original post by Jakelee
That seems pretty great.

I read if you get 75% overall you can go onto Pharmacy. :smile:

Also what general areas do you study in Chemistry Foundation, I want to know so I can get a head start teaching myself it. :smile:

Original post by JayAce
Student fees do not go up until the 2012/13 academic year so you are safe :cool:

I did the science foundation year last year and loved it, Jenny Bochmann (Chemistry) is just great! My brother is now doing science foundation year this year and one of my best friends has applied for next year..... Can't recommend it enough!

Plus the good this is, you can enjoy the uni life without an awful lot of pressure on you, and getting real good grades is relatively easy!

If you achieve 80% overall for the year you get an extra £500 bursary for each remaining year of your degree course, and if you transfer to a chemistry course (I'm on MChem) achieving 75% overall and 75% in each chemistry module you get £2000 on top for each remaining year!! (or £1000 per year of you get 70%)

Could it get any better people?!?!?!?! :biggrin:

hey guysss... i hav got BCCD for my AS.. i did bio chem maths n socio... i got a D for sociology so I dropped tht subject and have carried on with bio chem and maths... my teachers have predicted me BCC .. what are the chances of me getting in the foundation course... I really really want to do the foundation course because it tkes me time to settle in a new place n stuff like tht.. so i really think foundation yr is perfect for me.. wot r their entry requirements.. i want to study pharmacy after doin the foundation yr btw
Reply 132
Original post by godknows

Its 240 so you'll be fine. I got 280 and I didn't do as well as you. :smile:
Reply 133
Original post by Jakelee
Its 240 so you'll be fine. I got 280 and I didn't do as well as you. :smile:

oh but will they not hav a problem with the fact tht im already doin 3 science subjects - bio chem n maths ... thnx for replying btw :smile:
Reply 134
Original post by godknows
oh but will they not hav a problem with the fact tht im already doin 3 science subjects - bio chem n maths ... thnx for replying btw :smile:

Nope. Its just points unless they've changed it for next year...
Reply 135
Original post by Jakelee
Nope. Its just points unless they've changed it for next year...

okayy one last question [sorrryyy for askin so many questions :frown: ] but can I apply through normal ucas[through the grade system] or do i HAVE to apply through ucas tariff?
Ok just wanted to confirm, is the first lecture on Monday the 3rd?
Reply 137
Hi.. I just have a few questions. I'm 23 and would like to apply to do the foundation science year and then hopefully transfer onto nursing.. Is 23 classed as a mature student? I dont have a levels so would I be able to get onto the course? I'm also currently retaking my GCSE maths and science as a private candidate. Thanks.
Reply 138
I'm confused..

I want to do a science foundation degree in order to get into pharmacy after that... Some unis do a 1 year degree and some do a 4 year... Would i need to complete all 4 years in order to then apply to a pharmacy degree? Or just the first 1 year of the foundation course..?
Reply 139
At UEA, you start on a four year course - BSc science with foundation year. After year one, you can switch to another course (inc pharmacy) if you get the correct marks in your exams.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending