The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

ice currently been working for a while now at waitrose and im still confused about my break time limits , no one seems to know the actually time limits
i work to 4 hour shift , i know get get a half hour break then (im under 18)
but on sat ill work 1-8 which is seven hours am i entitled to a lunch break your just an extended break cheers
Reply 5401
Original post by bombmax247
ice currently been working for a while now at waitrose and im still confused about my break time limits , no one seems to know the actually time limits
i work to 4 hour shift , i know get get a half hour break then (im under 18)
but on sat ill work 1-8 which is seven hours am i entitled to a lunch break your just an extended break cheers

Actually for a 4 hour shift you only get 15 minutes, you need to work 4 and a half hours to get 30 minutes. For the 1-8 shift it is still just 30 minutes.
Original post by ljay09
Actually for a 4 hour shift you only get 15 minutes, you need to work 4 and a half hours to get 30 minutes. For the 1-8 shift it is still just 30 minutes.

yeah but im under 16 so i get 15 mins added on to breaks
Reply 5403
Original post by ljay09

Original post by ljay09

I get a half hour break for 4hr shifts cuz im 16.
yeah but im under 16 so i get 15 mins added on to breaks

nope thats incorrect, your only entitled to 20 mins doing 1-8 if your 16 (trust me, thats what our saturday girls get and we have argued it, even though it no longer affects me)
i only got 45 mins doing 2-10 when i was 16 (i think i only get 30 now though)

there is a matrix of break entitlements somewhere in my branch, which we always check for the newbies on there first shifts, i will seee if i can find it on partner connect.

Edit: cant find the matrix, but i am sure its in your branch, Check this! dont rely on your managers/team leaders/mates to know the true entitlements.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5405
Original post by BenjyK
I get a half hour break for 4hr shifts cuz im 16.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/YoungPeople/Workandcareers/Yourrightsandresponsibilitiesatwork/DG_174530

Young workers who need to work for more than four and a half hours will get a rest break of 30 minutes.

Four and a half hours when under 18 = 30 minutes. Your branches are doing it wrong.
Reply 5406
hi there, got a couple of questions - it says in my contract that my rate of pay is £6.20, but one of my shifts is on a Sunday. Will I be paid time and a half even though it doesn't state this on the contract? Also, New Year's Day and Christmas Day both fall on a Sunday this year, so I was wondering if I would be paid for these shifts even though the store is closed, as I am contracted to work on a Sunday?

thanks!
think ive been paid twice i work at waitrose canarywharf 664 anyone had the same problem also should i say something or leave it ....moral dilema going on in my head right now
Reply 5408
Original post by ljay09

Original post by ljay09

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/YoungPeople/Workandcareers/Yourrightsandresponsibilitiesatwork/DG_174530

Four and a half hours when under 18 = 30 minutes. Your branches are doing it wrong.

I see, well i take what i get anyways lol:dontknow:
Reply 5409
think ive been paid twice i work at waitrose canarywharf 664 anyone had the same problem also should i say something or leave it ....moral dilema going on in my head right now

Chances are, it'll get noticed. So you can say nothing and hope they don't notice, and when they do they'll deduct it out of your pay so you'll go a month down the line without any pay and they'll know you as dishonest. Or you can say something.
Reply 5410
Original post by keh92
hi there, got a couple of questions - it says in my contract that my rate of pay is £6.20, but one of my shifts is on a Sunday. Will I be paid time and a half even though it doesn't state this on the contract? Also, New Year's Day and Christmas Day both fall on a Sunday this year, so I was wondering if I would be paid for these shifts even though the store is closed, as I am contracted to work on a Sunday?

thanks!

You will get time and a half on Sundays which you work, Sundays that you don't (sickeness and holidays) you only get flat pay, Sundays (that you can't work - due to Xmas) you also just get flat pay, u only receive the premium on Sundays you work.
Reply 5411
Original post by Lucy King
You will get time and a half on Sundays which you work, Sundays that you don't (sickeness and holidays) you only get flat pay, Sundays (that you can't work - due to Xmas) you also just get flat pay, u only receive the premium on Sundays you work.

great thank you for your help - wasnt expecting to be paid on xmas/holidays so that is fab news!

I work at 664 too, is this your first payslip.
Hi guys, really sorry to disturb you all! Just had my group interview, and the interviewer said that we will hear from her 'soon.' Just wondering how long it took for you lot to hear back from them after the group interview? Thanks in advance. I really appreciate you taking the time out to answer this question for me.
Reply 5414
Original post by batboy113
Hi guys, really sorry to disturb you all! Just had my group interview, and the interviewer said that we will hear from her 'soon.' Just wondering how long it took for you lot to hear back from them after the group interview? Thanks in advance. I really appreciate you taking the time out to answer this question for me.

Which branch?
Reply 5415
got my induction day saturday :smile: do you get paid for your induction day ?
Original post by chanchan
I work at 664 too, is this your first payslip.

yeah i told them though best to be safe :s-smilie:
yeah i told them though best to be safe :s-smilie:

not to worry your first pay may include any training days that you did
I'm slightly confused. In terms of pay, what is the difference between being on the 'calender monthly pay and the'short term temporary pay' in regards to how much you currently get. When you're permanent, is there essentially no cut off point since, you get paid till the end of the month. Do you end up with the same monthly pay that you would get on a temporary contract or less? If it helps I work 10.45hrs per week at 7.18p/h.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5419
Original post by ChloeO
got my induction day saturday :smile: do you get paid for your induction day ?

You should be paid for your induction day as you are technically working.

Lucy

Latest

Trending

Trending