The Student Room Group

AS SNAB Edexcel Biology

Scroll to see replies

Original post by wrighty1994
Hey there,

I started revising around three weeks before the exam.
I read through the SNAB revision guide quite a bit, which is a lot more helpful than the textbook.

I did a lot of past exam papers aswell, which really helped me to understand the way the mark scheme is structured, and how to get the best possible marks by using the correct phrases

Hope this helps
:smile:

Oh OK thanks, yeah I'm going to do a lot of past papers too :smile:

Original post by Tomatochuckers
I know this q wasn't addressed to me- but use either the SNAB textbook and the revision guide (I lost mine so can't comment on how good it was but ppl who used it seemed to do well) as well as the edexcel biology cgp book which simplifies any complicated ideas.
After going through the content- do past papers and look at the markschemes- especially useful when seeing how to structure the answers to the core practicals. Also learn how to answer graph questions- as there are many of these.

Many people lost marks in the coursework, so make sure you do exactly what your teacher (if they are good) says- and do not leave it late.

I myself hated SNAB at the beginning of yr 12- but then it got better and better as I used the CGP book and SNAB one together.

Thanks a lot :smile: but what's the revision guide? When people say 'revision guide' I thought they meant the cgp one :s can you send me a link to it please?
Original post by InadequateJusticex
Oh OK thanks, yeah I'm going to do a lot of past papers too :smile:

Thanks a lot :smile: but what's the revision guide? When people say 'revision guide' I thought they meant the cgp one :s can you send me a link to it please?

Here you go :smile:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Edexcel-Biology-Revision-Guide-Sciences/dp/1846905982/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1319496600&sr=8-1
Original post by MedicalMayhem
May sound really stupid, but what is the green book? :s Could you link it to me on amazon?

Its not stupid aha x
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Edexcel-Biology-Student-Level-Sciences/dp/1405896329/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1319611492&sr=8-1
Original post by Stryder402
ive got really good notes for unit 2 if anybody wants it

Me please :smile:

:O It's another specification book for Edexcel SNAB? What's the difference between this and the orange one, or just a way for students to spend our money?

Yes please :biggrin:
Does anyone know where I can get past papers for units 3 and 4?? I'm currently tutoring somebody who does SNAB Edexcel bio and I have no idea where to get the past papers from! Thanks:smile:
Ok, just realised that I'm looking for AS UNIT 2 (topics 3 and 4) - called Development, Plants and the Environment
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by happy_rabbit
Ok, just realised that I'm looking for AS UNIT 2 (topics 3 and 4) - called Development, Plants and the Environment

You can get them from the Edexcel website and freeexampapers.com :smile:
Original post by InadequateJusticex
You can get them from the Edexcel website and freeexampapers.com :smile:

Ah, thanks. There's only one paper, right?
I'm doing SNAB AS Biology as well, out of all my subjects (all sciences and Maths) Biology is by far my favourite. I found Biology so boring at GCSE but I'm so glad I chose it for A Level.
Btw, what is the green book? I really need a revision book and I don't like the CGP one.
Original post by HelloGoodbye
I'm doing SNAB AS Biology as well, out of all my subjects (all sciences and Maths) Biology is by far my favourite. I found Biology so boring at GCSE but I'm so glad I chose it for A Level.
Btw, what is the green book? I really need a revision book and I don't like the CGP one.

Well it's http://www.amazon.co.uk/Edexcel-Biol...9611492&sr=8-1 but I'm contemplating whether to buy it or not. Not sure if it's of any use, but here's a link to the book though :smile:
Original post by happy_rabbit
Ah, thanks. There's only one paper, right?

For unit 2 yes :smile:
Reply 34
The course is good but the Book is ABSOLUTE CR*P!!!!!
Hey does anyone know much about the Mitosis practical? I mean things like why you put the root tip in acid and alcohol and ice cold water ?

Any help would be much appreciated.
Reply 36
One of the examiners who wrote / put together the SNAB core practicals used to sell CDs with explanations on. Don't know if he's got a website but he does a student revision conference at Surrey Uni every year. You could go there and ask him? Details of the course are here:
http://store.surrey.ac.uk/browse/product.asp?catid=156&modid=1&compid=1
Reply 38
Original post by TravH
One of the examiners who wrote / put together the SNAB core practicals used to sell CDs with explanations on. Don't know if he's got a website but he does a student revision conference at Surrey Uni every year. You could go there and ask him? Details of the course are here:
http://store.surrey.ac.uk/browse/product.asp?catid=156&modid=1&compid=1

hiya :smile:
is the conference any good do you know?

could I have your notes as well please? :biggrin:

Quick Reply