The Student Room Group

Scores for 2011-12 Edexcel Music Technology

I've been teaching this for a while now and came to the conclusion some time ago that skeleton scores and just listening to the audio aren't nearly accurate enough. So every year my first task is to write a complete score for the AS and A2 sequencing tasks. Edexcel have thrown me a curve ball this year by offering two alternatives for A2 so it will take a bit longer.

Here's my first offering - Cars.

Please point out any mistakes or disagreements that you spot - there are quite a lot of variations in the drums esp. in the kick.

*DISCLAIMER* This is only my impression of the piece - it is not sanctioned by Edexcel and neither Edexcel nor I take any responsibility for any inaccuracies in the score causing you to balls up your coursework. :redface:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I've just spotted a mistake in my score but it's not worth redoing all the graphics and putting them into Word. It's just that the handclap/snare keeps up the two in a bar all through the repeats at the end - I didn't copy it enough times.
Reply 2
I don't know if it's just me but I thought there was a cymbal crash on the first beat of the fourth bar?
Reply 3
You're right - on the first beat of the Intro after the wobble and the snare fill. Thanks.
Reply 4
Do you have any idea how long it will take you to do the ladytron score for AS? Really starting to struggle with detail now as i have the main parts down.

It is also a terrible song. And i am completely sick to death of it already/

cheers

ali
Reply 5
I agree it's hideous. I'm on it - should be by the end of the week.
Reply 6
Any luck with an Echo Beach score at all?
Reply 7
Schedule atm is looking like AMTV by the end of this week Echo Beach (out of the goodness of my heart - we aren't doing it :tongue:) next week.
Reply 8
The end of this week meaning Sunday 23rd October?
Reply 9
I hope so - I really don't want to spend much more of my life listening to this dirge.
Reply 10
I feel your pain. Although I'm one of those unfortunate people who have to recreate it on logic :frown: But thanks so much for taking the time to actually help us out. Gotta love TSR!
Reply 11
Original post by Mollymod
I feel your pain. Although I'm one of those unfortunate people who have to recreate it on logic :frown: But thanks so much for taking the time to actually help us out. Gotta love TSR!

Whats wrong with Logic?
Reply 12
It's not logic that's the problem, I probably phrased that wrong. I meant the song was the issue :frown:
Reply 13
Well, here's my impression of AMTV. Sorry it took so long - the FX and drums are a nightmare. I'm still not convinced I've got everything; there are so many little clicky sounds in amongst all the grungy production and we've had loads of arguments in class. My ears aren't what they used to be in the top frequencies. Please feel free to comment on disagreements, omissions, lazy copy/pasting etc. Echo Beach next - should be easier.
Reply 14
Thank God I'm not the only one who heard what you put down as 'Brush Snare'!

Although, with the Synth 2, I can definitely hear it in the verses, but you omitted it.
Reply 15
You are probably right - go with your ears. TBH, there are so many harmonics going on, I'm not really sure what is being played as a note and what is a partial of something else. The marking criterion will always be "Does it sound like the original?".
Reply 16
At last here's the score for "Echo Beach".

Usual *disclaimer* - no guarantees this is right. Tell me any real clangers you spot and I'll make changes if there are enough.
Thank you for taking the time to help.
I can honestly say that after i finish the AS course i will never listen to AMTV ever again.

Once again thenks for the help :biggrin::cool::biggrin:.
Reply 18
Thanks for that - it's nice to be appreciated. Good luck with it.
Reply 19
Thankyou so much for the Echo Beach score, much appreciated. You are a genius!

Quick Reply