The Student Room Group

AS January exams revision.

Scroll to see replies

Oh dear, just realised it's November tomorrow already D: I'll probably start next week (if I don't start procrastinating...)
Doing the same as GabGirl

-Biology on 11th Jan.
-Economics on 12th Jan.
-Maths and chemistry on 13th Jan.

That's going to be a fun week...
Reply 22
I'm really quite worried for mine :/ I hope I get the grades I want in them all or I'll have so many in June!
I'm taking:
Stats 1 (AQA)
Physics (both units-we are using this as a practice though, would be good to get a decent grade in at least one :cool: ) (OCR)
Biology Unit 1 (AQA)
Chemistry Unit 1 (OCR)
Reply 23
Hey guys start revising NOW! Make sure you learn everything so you're not learning anything new 2 weeks before the exam.
It will make life so much easier when exam time is near.

I've learnt this lesson from last year now I am resitting C2 and F321/F322 (Deciding which will be easier now)
Reply 24
Original post by MrFukutu

Original post by MrFukutu
Loool
Biology is just memory, Chemistry is Meh, Physics is "maths with letters"
I find the sciences alright - its logical and there are "examples"

Maths - Differentiate this, blah blah this - Like why???
Ill keep practicising but sheeeit 10% :/

Meh, I expect you'll get it eventually. C1 doesn't build that much on GCSE.

Try the Khan Academy. It's a great website with helpful videos on maths (and the sciences if you need it).
do loads of pastpapers especially for maths, its the way forward :smile:
Reply 26
I'm not bothered about January. It's June I'm worried about. 15-17 exams. I will have to pull an Ali Moeen Nawazish.
Reply 27
Got two exams! Chem 1 (AQA) and F581 Economics (OCR)

- Starting learning/working tomorrow properly and then working myself up. Dunno atm tbh, need to get down to it!
Reply 28
Original post by IQ Test
Hi everyone,

Just wondering when you guys are starting serious revision for January exams and how much you'll be doing. I've been creating summaries and starting on past paper questions over half term and I plan to start serious revision at about 4 hours per night. Nearer the time (Xmas holidays) I'll do 4-7 and 8-10 like I did in the final weeks of G.C.S.E.s just for peace of mind. What will you be doing?

Anyway, just seeing what's going on in the rest of the world! Hope you're all well.

Just relax man, am doing A2 at the moment and your teachers are just scaring you the only people that are gonna fail are probably those who blagged their way into 6 th form and dont revise. Also I'd recommend revising a month before the exam and the amount of revision your talking about is more than enough. remember sometimes too much revision is bad trust me I over did it for a chemistry exam and messed up make sure you revision is in cotrollable chunks not just hours on end cos in a 6 hour revision period research has proved u'll only proably remember stuff from the first two hours
I've been making notes for each topic as we go along...just gotta do past papers I guess...

C1 is quite easy, it's GCSE chem witha bit more on it...B1 is a bit harder, there's a lot to learn :frown:
Didn't even think about it before I read this but I should probably start revising I think! Didn't have January exams in my AS so I'm not used to this!!
Original post by geditor
I've got six!

Really? What exams do you have? Feel sorry for you - thats gonna be a lot of work :frown:.
Reply 32
I work with a girl in year 13 (I'm in year 12) and she's been telling me a few scary stories about how no one in that year's chemistry class passed their January exam, and she asked at the beginning of October whether I'd started revising yet... I was thinking, whoa, I'm only a month into sixth form, we've hardly even started yet - but I see what she means. I'm starting from now on - when I can fit in time around homework (I have TONS).
I'm hoping that my friend who is one of those people that didn't pay attention in lessons and didn't do any work at GCSE who still got As and A*s will do the same, but realise that A levels take a lot more hard work - and learn it the hard way! I get annoyed when I work really hard but still get less than her when she doesn't put any effort in!

Sorry for the rant - I just wanted to get it off my chest...
Make sure you guys put a good effort because the consequences of not doing well can really demotivate you for June exams and adds to the pressure so please take advice from TSR people and use it wisely. A2 people have been through it so really do know what they're talking about. I understand it is difficult as the jump for some people is massive (was for me!) but when you get good results in March, you will be proud that your hard work pays off :smile:
Original post by LifeIsGood
Make sure you guys put a good effort because the consequences of not doing well can really demotivate you for June exams and adds to the pressure so please take advice from TSR people and use it wisely. A2 people have been through it so really do know what they're talking about. I understand it is difficult as the jump for some people is massive (was for me!) but when you get good results in March, you will be proud that your hard work pays off :smile:

When do you think we should have all/most of the content learnt by, so that we can start actual revision?
Original post by Ketchup'n'Mustard
When do you think we should have all/most of the content learnt by, so that we can start actual revision?

I think you should do exam questions alongside the content you learn, that way you're developing exam technique. New AS students never learn this quick enough and it's not your fault because you'll learn that's the way A Levels work on - markschemes so to get A/B you need to develop a great foundation of exam technique.
Reply 36
I've got a practical exam in 6 weeks, then chemistry (AQA) biology (AQA) and psychology (OCR)

I'm screwed D:
I have 5 exams;

Maths; C1, C2 and S1
Physics; Unit 1
Electronics; Unit 1

I'm going to do an hour per exam every day until December. (5 hours + homework).

In December I'm thinking of just spending every minute on revision/practice papers. I want 90/95% + in all exams.

*My 1000th post XD
Reply 38
4 exams:
chem unit 1
bio unit 1
geology unit 3
maths c1

I haven't really planned any form of revision yet, just making sure I understand everything as I go along. :redface:
Two but our maths one is on Friday the 13th. I am not optermistic, really will start revising at the weekend.

Quick Reply

Latest