The Student Room Group
Students relax outside, University of Surrey
University of Surrey
Guildford

UCAS open day at surrey

My ucas application was sent off yesterday and today I received an email from Surrey inviting me onto the open day for mechanical engineering. But I thought these open days were for people with offers, but ucas track has not updated. And I know this can sometimes take awhile.

I have emailed the uni. But I just wanted to know what your thoughts were.

Thanks
Reply 1
I got an email for an open day too, only a day after my school sent off my UCAS. It says about an informal interview- do you reckon this is a proper interview or do they invite all the applicants to do this?
Im applying for physics :smile:
Students relax outside, University of Surrey
University of Surrey
Guildford
Reply 2
Original post by the.student
I got an email for an open day too, only a day after my school sent off my UCAS. It says about an informal interview- do you reckon this is a proper interview or do they invite all the applicants to do this?
Im applying for physics :smile:

Mine doesn't say anything about an interview so im not sure. I think its something surrey do regularly though.

What date is yours on, mines the 9th of november
Reply 3
I got that email too - also physics on the 9th. My school seems to think that they will talk to us a little about our statements, future plans, particular aspects of the subject that interest us and they should also give us a chance to ask any questions we may have.
One of the professors has a current TV programme and another has written an article in a recent new scientist so i'm watching and reading just in case haha :smile:
Reply 4
I've had a look at some previous discussions and it seems likely that they may pop in a few problems to be solved - eg someone last year had one about simple harmonic motion - so just look over the AS and Alevel books :smile:
Reply 5
Ok not really looking forward to the questions :s-smilie:

Thanks for the info though:smile:
Reply 6
Offers are sent out after the UCAS Day.
Reply 7
Original post by orionmoo
Offers are sent out after the UCAS Day.

That's great thanks

Do you know anything about how these days go? Any info would be a big help.
Reply 8
Original post by Willheath
That's great thanks

Do you know anything about how these days go? Any info would be a big help.

I just received an email about the Maths open day and the email contained an attachment with the schedule for the day. Did your email not come with any attachments?

I assume these days will be similar for each subject, so here's what the maths one entails:

- Talk from the head of department
- Tour of the campus with current students (+ accomodation)
- Interviews (15 minutes long)
- Final presentation and Q&A

It might not be exactly the same, but they'd probably be pretty similar. Hope this helps! :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by jones_wise
I just received an email about the Maths open day and the email contained an attachment with the schedule for the day. Did your email not come with any attachments?

I assume these days will be similar for each subject, so here's what the maths one entails:

- Talk from the head of department
- Tour of the campus with current students (+ accomodation)
- Interviews (15 minutes long)
- Final presentation and Q&A

It might not be exactly the same, but they'd probably be pretty similar. Hope this helps! :smile:

Thanks
My email came with some attachments but nothing about an interview so I'm just unsure how there going to make decisions on the candidates.
i got one today too for electronic engineering and my day is similar to that as well it says i have an individual discussion with the admissions tutor so i'm assuming thats some kind of formal/informal interview?
Reply 11
Your right, that is a small interview. Just the usual types of questions and they will most likely ask you a small maths question or physics question. Mine was to just differentiate an equation.
HI
if anyone is stressing about the UCAS day then dont!
Standard procedure is that they invite you onto campus before they give you an offer.
They will most likely give you a tour, take you to lunch, give you a sample lecture and tutorial, the interview is informal. I do maths and i was just asked to answer one simple question (which i got wrong) and still got a place. Offers come through within 2 weeks of ucas i believe.

Quick Reply

Latest