The Student Room Group
Manchester Metropolitan University
Manchester

crewe or didsbury campus mmu

I'm considering doing a pgce at Manchester Metropolitan Uni, and the postgraduate open day is on the 23rd of November.
However, I need to book a place, but it says primary level pgce will be either taught at didsbury or campus, do you not get to choose which one you go to, as I would like to see the campus I'll be studying at.
its silly to view the didsbury one but then attend crewe
Reply 1
Original post by Little_missy01
I'm considering doing a pgce at Manchester Metropolitan Uni, and the postgraduate open day is on the 23rd of November.
However, I need to book a place, but it says primary level pgce will be either taught at didsbury or campus, do you not get to choose which one you go to, as I would like to see the campus I'll be studying at.

You should be able to pick which campus you want to study at during the application process (i.e. the campus code). I studied at Crewe, and from what I remember there is not actually that much overlap between subjects so you will not get to choose where you study. Take this as an example: a PGCE in secondary English is only offered at Didsbury. So far as primary is concerned, I just checked GTTR and there are separate campus codes (C and M) for the vanilla programme.

For what it is worth, given that most of your time will be spent on placement where you spend the first part of your PGCE makes little difference in reality. A less popular campus might not have much going for it, but it is not as if you are going to be there for long anyway. You could also use this to your advantage: chances are the competition for the less popular campus will be lower, and so will the cost of living.
Manchester Metropolitan University
Manchester
Original post by evantej
You should be able to pick which campus you want to study at during the application process (i.e. the campus code). I studied at Crewe, and from what I remember there is not actually that much overlap between subjects so you will not get to choose where you study. Take this as an example: a PGCE in secondary English is only offered at Didsbury. So far as primary is concerned, I just checked GTTR and there are separate campus codes (C and M) for the vanilla programme.

For what it is worth, given that most of your time will be spent on placement where you spend the first part of your PGCE makes little difference in reality. A less popular campus might not have much going for it, but it is not as if you are going to be there for long anyway. You could also use this to your advantage: chances are the competition for the less popular campus will be lower, and so will the cost of living.

Oh, so you do get to choose, but my dilemma is how can I see both and base my decision on that when the open days are on the same day. Although I would prefer disbury since its in manchester, while crewes in cheshire.
Hmm, thanks, I hadn't considered that, although I will most likely be commuting, since its only 40 mins in the train
Reply 3
Oh, so you do get to choose, but my dilemma is how can I see both and base my decision on that when the open days are on the same day. Although I would prefer disbury since its in manchester, while crewes in cheshire.
Hmm, thanks, I hadn't considered that, although I will most likely be commuting, since its only 40 mins in the train

It depends where you live at the moment, I suppose. You also have to take into account that your placement might not be in Manchester. Didsbury is actually closer to Stokeport than the centre of Manchester so you may be placed somewhere there. I have studied at both the All Saints Campus and Crewe, and Didsbury always seemed out of the way to be honest. But the same can be said of Crewe. You might have to travel to another town (e.g. Macclesfield). I am not sure what the situation is with primary; it might be worth contacting the university to ask who their partner schools are for each campus, and, assuming you do not move, you can sort of guess where you are likely to be placed.

Just realised I did not answer your other question. Yes, MMU has a habit of doing this - especially for postgraduate programmes. Your best bet is probably to go to Didsbury for the open day and visit Crewe when you are free. The campus itself is quite easy to find and you should not be bothered if you look around informally. It might be worth contacting whoever runs primary in Crewe to explain the situation and they might be able to give you a personal tour of the educational facilities.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4
Hey I think Crewe only have the Early Years PGCE for 2012 and Didsbury have Primary.
Original post by evantej
It depends where you live at the moment, I suppose. You also have to take into account that your placement might not be in Manchester. Didsbury is actually closer to Stokeport than the centre of Manchester so you may be placed somewhere there. I have studied at both the All Saints Campus and Crewe, and Didsbury always seemed out of the way to be honest. But the same can be said of Crewe. You might have to travel to another town (e.g. Macclesfield). I am not sure what the situation is with primary; it might be worth contacting the university to ask who their partner schools are for each campus, and, assuming you do not move, you can sort of guess where you are likely to be placed.

Just realised I did not answer your other question. Yes, MMU has a habit of doing this - especially for postgraduate programmes. Your best bet is probably to go to Didsbury for the open day and visit Crewe when you are free. The campus itself is quite easy to find and you should not be bothered if you look around informally. It might be worth contacting whoever runs primary in Crewe to explain the situation and they might be able to give you a personal tour of the educational facilities.

Thanks, think I'l do that instead x

crewe is a **** hole! i live close and some of my friends live there. its horrible!
Original post by cadburysru
Hey I think Crewe only have the Early Years PGCE for 2012 and Didsbury have Primary.

Oh...
It says, Primary is at Didsbury and Crewe while Early Years is Crewe only
Er...sounds daft, but whats the difference.
I thought the pgce was primary level, sceondary and above
Original post by MutantGecko
crewe is a **** hole! i live close and some of my friends live there. its horrible!

Hahahaha!
Thanks for that
My preferred option would be didsbury, as I want to enjoy my surroundings, and have friends applying there too
But mmu want a 2:1 which I think I will get but Im more likely to get 2:2

You should be able to choose the campus code when you're filling in your application so you can decide whether or not to go to Didsbury/Crewe. I go to the Crewe campus and it's very quiet, but live near Didsbury where there is easy access to central Manchester etc.
Reply 10
Oh...
It says, Primary is at Didsbury and Crewe while Early Years is Crewe only
Er...sounds daft, but whats the difference.
I thought the pgce was primary level, sceondary and above

Early years is working with children aged 3-7. Primary is 5-11. There is an overlap, but education is not done the same across the country. For example, in my home county we have first (5-8), middle (8-12) and high schools rather than primary and secondary. If you did primary then you could work in both a first and middle school.
Original post by evantej
Early years is working with children aged 3-7. Primary is 5-11. There is an overlap, but education is not done the same across the country. For example, in my home county we have first (5-8), middle (8-12) and high schools rather than primary and secondary. If you did primary then you could work in both a first and middle school.

I'll go for priamry then
Pfft, decisions decisons
Reply 12
Hey Little_missy01,

What did you end up applying for? I've got my interview tomorrow and am so so nervous :redface:
Original post by cadburysru
Hey Little_missy01,

What did you end up applying for? I've got my interview tomorrow and am so so nervous :redface:

I've put edge hill and man met (didsbury), although I may change that to cumbria....Still struggling a little with my personal statement lol
Ahh...don't worry about it too much. Just make sure you take your documents, and channel your nervousness into confidence and passion :smile:
Hope it goes well, let us know how

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending