The Student Room Group

Finished 3 year ACA with PwC Audit Dept - ask me anything

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Original post by Samtheman1
Wrong!

Thank you for your in-depth and well-constructed argument, I now see your line of reasoning and consequently agree with your point of view. Thank you.

:rolleyes:
Reply 181
Original post by chris_harvey
Hi all,

I started training for my 3 year ACA in Oct 2007 with PwC London in their Audit Dept and managed to qualify in Oct 2010.

If anyone has any questions feel free to ask me :smile:

Why I am doing this? I guess I might as well put my 3 years to some use! hehe (currently self employed and not using my ACA atm)

Chris

Hey Chris,

If you can remember which of these Knowledge Modules were the toughest in terms of revision (if you could rank them that would be great). Business and finance, Management Information, Principles of Taxation and Law? I know hard work is required for all but in my firm we are required to self teach for them (apart from MI). I have to study for two in one go - I want to take one which is 'softer' to revise with one that's 'harder' so to get a good balance.

Reply 182
Original post by emdo
Hey Chris,

If you can remember which of these Knowledge Modules were the toughest in terms of revision (if you could rank them that would be great). Business and finance, Management Information, Principles of Taxation and Law? I know hard work is required for all but in my firm we are required to self teach for them (apart from MI). I have to study for two in one go - I want to take one which is 'softer' to revise with one that's 'harder' so to get a good balance.

From toughest to easiest

MI --> PoT --> Law --> B&F
Is the accounting knowledge module hard?
Reply 184
Original post by T.Adams VI
Is the accounting knowledge module hard?

if you like numbers, it won't be

for those who have always preferred humanities - it will be
Reply 185
Original post by bingkk32
From toughest to easiest

MI --> PoT --> Law --> B&F

Thank you!
Reply 186
Wrong!

Where do (or did) you stay in London? How much is/was the rent? Do/Did you live on the flat on your own? Basically with 28k in first year (gross salary i am assuming) it won't go that far in London (unless you are super thrifty). Thanks.
Original post by perplex_
Where do (or did) you stay in London? How much is/was the rent? Do/Did you live on the flat on your own? Basically with 28k in first year (gross salary i am assuming) it won't go that far in London (unless you are super thrifty). Thanks.

You for real? You'd have to be spending 200+ a week on rent to even begin to have any problems.
Original post by emdo
Hey Chris,

I would say easiest to hardest:

Audit
Law
B&F
Tax
MI
Acc
Original post by perplex_

I stayed in Sidcup, Kent. Shared a flat with my GF @ £800 per month.

So @ 28k you clear around 1,700 after student loan and tax

-400 rent
-300 bills and food
-120 travel

Leaves you around £880 to spend in the pub.

Simples.
Original post by M_E_X
Thank you for your in-depth and well-constructed argument, I now see your line of reasoning and consequently agree with your point of view. Thank you.

:rolleyes:

I think it was quite apt given that the poster assumed that a maths degree ensures you would be able to smash the ACA and demands of the job.

I saw first hand Oxbridge colleagues with maths degrees being sacked on both counts - hence the "wrong".

Happy?
Reply 191
How much are you expected to already know about finance/accountancy when applying for these schemes?
Reply 192

I saw first hand Oxbridge colleagues with maths degrees being sacked on both counts - hence the "wrong".

Happy?

One of my colleagues from oxbridge gets pretty average marks in the ACA exams, but the other finds it a complete piece of cake and could easily win a prize if he tried anywhere near as hard as I do just to pass!
Reply 193
I stayed in Sidcup, Kent. Shared a flat with my GF @ £800 per month.

So @ 28k you clear around 1,700 after student loan and tax

-400 rent
-300 bills and food
-120 travel

Leaves you around £880 to spend in the pub.

Simples.

nice.. i need money to save.
Reply 194
Original post by buzzer55
How much are you expected to already know about finance/accountancy when applying for these schemes?

Anyone?
@buzzer55: I didn't really have any knowledge of finance and accountancy but I still got accepted... they accept people from a wide range of degree subject areas, some completely unrelated to accountancy :smile:
randomlise, what department do you work in? Do you work for PwC?
Reply 197
Original post by chris_harvey
Hi all,

I started training for my 3 year ACA in Oct 2007 with PwC London in their Audit Dept and managed to qualify in Oct 2010.

If anyone has any questions feel free to ask me :smile:

Why I am doing this? I guess I might as well put my 3 years to some use! hehe (currently self employed and not using my ACA atm)

Chris

Hi Chris,

I'd just like to ask what happens with the auditors of a firm when it is acquired by another firm. Do the auditors of the acquiring firm automatically audit both of them or are they separately audited? Also, would the acquired firm still be classed as a separate 'client' of an accountant if it still traded under its original name and was just owned by the firm that acquired it?

Thanks! :smile:
Reply 198
I've got an offer from KPMG for audit and a partner interview coming up at PwC for tax. This is for a summer internship.

Which one should I go for and why?
Reply 199
Original post by bt_1000
I've got an offer from KPMG for audit and a partner interview coming up at PwC for tax. This is for a summer internship.

Which one should I go for and why?

You have to work out which department you'd prefer rather than which firm.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending